CRB Ruining my life is it ruining yours?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Skeppy
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Basically I was listening to the radio the other day and it was discussing the CRB that some employers have checked before you get the job, and this guy who stole sweets from a shop lost his job teaching at a school because it came up on his CRB! and he wasnt even convicted! I wanted to work with the NHS but Im not even going to bother applying as they do the CRB check and I have a conviction so I'll save myself the time. Im seriously hacked off because this is going to follow me around forever I know its my fault but I do think its a piss take that it should affect your life like this. Seems like once they got you the got you even if its a minor offense anyonelse have a similar problem???
Smtn
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
its not criminal
timetokill
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I very, very highly doubt the teacher lost his job based purely on something he wasnt even convicted for as a child. He was probably crap at his job and they were looking for an excuse to sack him anyway.
Rhys~
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
The consequences of commiting a crime, should of thought about that before you did it tbh
andiroo
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Trust is like your virginity, you can only lose it once!

Failing a CRB check basically means that they can't trust you. It's your own fault.
ma2k5
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Skeppy, their are millions of people with a conviction, looking for a job. I don't see why they can't use this, as a deciding factor on screening applicants. I mean, surely someone with no conviction - is at least a tad more reliable/trustworthy right? I mean, wouldn't you, yourself, think you deserve more credits going for a job then a serial killer (I am assuming what you did wasn't as bad)?
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I have 2 friends at my year in university, who have had criminal offences, not even minor aswell..drug related offences, and even though it happened 10-15 years ago they've got into train to be nurses
Rule Britannia
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rhys~)
The consequences of commiting a crime, should of thought about that before you did it tbh
I disagree, the harder it is for criminals to integrate back into society the more likely they are to commit more crimes.

Personally I'd rather my neighbour was an ex-criminal living a normal life then a criminal who is unemployed "because of the consequences of crime" and sinks into taking drugs then one night robs me to fund his drug habit.

Try thinking things through in the future, these are the lives of real people you're disregarding like some pompous prick.
flowermaster91
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
was this on LBC radio by any chance? :awesome:. But getting sacked for stealing sweets seems silly
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rule Britannia)
I disagree, the harder it is for criminals to integrate back into society the more likely they are to commit more crimes.

Personally I'd rather my neighbour was an ex-criminal living a normal life then a criminal who is unemployed "because of the consequences of crime" and sinks into taking drugs then one night robs me to fund his drug habit.

Try thinking things through in the future, these are the lives of real people you're disregarding like some pompous prick.

with the username 'rule britannia' im thinking nick griffin's younger son, or just an ignorant skinhead...english defence league anyone?!
Rule Britannia
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
with the username 'rule britannia' im thinking nick griffin's younger son, or just an ignorant skinhead...english defence league anyone?!
Firstly, it's named after a piece of music you may not be familiar with here, secondly did you not just see me suggest leniency towards criminals?

What's wrong with a bit of pride in your country? It doesn't make me a fascist. Read George Orwell's 1984, you really are the thought police. Typical labourite reaction to reasoned responses, smear the person.
Rhys~
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rule Britannia)

At the end of the day it doesnt matter what i think. I never said i agreed with it but it is the way things are currently in this country so if your not prepared to deal with the consequences then dont do the crime.

Next time try to to be a judgmental prick
Lee'sey
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Hi people,

What is this discussion really about?

Are some of you suggesting that merely having a criminal record should then 'Damn you for Life'?

If so that says a lot about you.

Think along the lines of...Ignorant, smallminded, judgemental fools.

CRB checks should stop the wrong people getting into jobs they are wholly unsuitable for. They should not stop people from getting on with their lives once they have paid for their crimes in society's eyes.

Have we really such little faith in the rehabilitation of offenders?

If so 'Damn you all'.

Lee'sey
contra mundum
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Skeppy)
Basically I was listening to the radio the other day and it was discussing the CRB that some employers have checked before you get the job, and this guy who stole sweets from a shop lost his job teaching at a school because it came up on his CRB! and he wasnt even convicted! I wanted to work with the NHS but Im not even going to bother applying as they do the CRB check and I have a conviction so I'll save myself the time. Im seriously hacked off because this is going to follow me around forever I know its my fault but I do think its a piss take that it should affect your life like this. Seems like once they got you the got you even if its a minor offense anyonelse have a similar problem???
do you mind if i ask what exactly it is you did?
because stealing sweets verses mugging old ladies is totally different especially if you reformed and i have a really good friend who stole his dads car while drunk and crashed it and i dont know if it got wiped from his CRB but anyways he s now doing a law degree at Oxford so case in point stupid act of youth shouldn't **** up the rest of your life
Mouse94
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Enhanced CRB only show a conviction.

Be honest own up that there's something on your CRB, chances are that there will be no problem.
My mother works in children's services and also the nhs in recruitment and this is what she said.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Major factual procedure problem with this.
You cannot teach until you have had a CRB check,so how was he sacked when he can't have been employed?
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Major factual procedure problem with this.
You cannot teach until you have had a CRB check,so how was he sacked when he can't have been employed?

I actually think it is right that you should be kept away from sensitive jobs. There are only a few that require an enhanced CRB. Just don't try to apply for them.
eddie1212
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I cannot believe the narrow minded idiots that are commenting on this thread. My main grape is with the regular comment of

“You broke the law, now your suffering the consequences”

Well, isn’t the sentence delivered by the court supposed to be the punishment for the crime? Although, I suppose all you sanctimonious individuals out there think anyone who has made the slightest mistake in their past should suffer for their entire life.

Because that’s fair isn’t it? “One mistake and we are never going to let you make anything of your life. In fact we are going to put up so many road blocks that your only viable option in life is crime” …..very clever! Then all you sanctimonious lot turn around and say the justice system is failing, people who have committed crimes are not being rehabilitated…..Is it any wonder rehabilitation is so low when narrow minded individuals like YOU condemn anyone who has ever had a conviction, I quote: “a person with a convictions means he/she is untrustworthy” (another sterling comment by a moron on her).

You might be interested as to why I feel so strongly about this, well when I was 17 I was walking home after being at a friends house at about 11pm, I heard a girl being attacked by a man in a local park area. And unlike most selfish/cowardly members of society I went to help her, and lo and behold he was trying to rape her, she must have only been about 15, and he was about 35. I make no apologise for the fact that after I pulled him of her I beat the living **** out of him. While I was doing this she ran off and never went to the police and was never seen again. I got arrested, he denied the girl ever existed and said I just took at him. The police being equally as stupid as you lot just convict the person who ever they can regardless of justice. Therefore I was convicted of ABH lowered from GBH, the sentence was minimal (only a fine) because at least the judge has the sense to see what had happened. However I still wind up with a conviction and my life has bee screwed over by narrow minded people like you lot, who refuse to let people make mistakes in life. AND…. After all this the scary thing is if I ever head a girl screaming again I will leave her to get raped… and maybe that might be you, girlfriend or even your child. I will never help anyone in this world again.

You might wonder what my qualifications are, they are; 1st in management accounting degree, HND in LAW, fully trained and licensed commercial pilot. – yet I cannot get a job as a pilot because I have a conviction for ABH over 10 years ago. Jack straw and Meg Hillier say that companies cant take this conviction into account when applying for jobs but believe me THEY DO, OVER AND OVER AGAIN, they just don’t tell you its for this reason.
Jingers
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by eddie1212)
I cannot believe the narrow minded idiots that are commenting on this thread. My main grape is with the regular comment of

“You broke the law, now your suffering the consequences”

Well, isn’t the sentence delivered by the court supposed to be the punishment for the crime? Although, I suppose all you sanctimonious individuals out there think anyone who has made the slightest mistake in their past should suffer for their entire life.

Because that’s fair isn’t it? “One mistake and we are never going to let you make anything of your life. In fact we are going to put up so many road blocks that your only viable option in life is crime” …..very clever! Then all you sanctimonious lot turn around and say the justice system is failing, people who have committed crimes are not being rehabilitated…..Is it any wonder rehabilitation is so low when narrow minded individuals like YOU condemn anyone who has ever had a conviction, I quote: “a person with a convictions means he/she is untrustworthy” (another sterling comment by a moron on her).

You might be interested as to why I feel so strongly about this, well when I was 17 I was walking home after being at a friends house at about 11pm, I heard a girl being attacked by a man in a local park area. And unlike most selfish/cowardly members of society I went to help her, and lo and behold he was trying to rape her, she must have only been about 15, and he was about 35. I make no apologise for the fact that after I pulled him of her I beat the living **** out of him. While I was doing this she ran off and never went to the police and was never seen again. I got arrested, he denied the girl ever existed and said I just took at him. The police being equally as stupid as you lot just convict the person who ever they can regardless of justice. Therefore I was convicted of ABH lowered from GBH, the sentence was minimal (only a fine) because at least the judge has the sense to see what had happened. However I still wind up with a conviction and my life has bee screwed over by narrow minded people like you lot, who refuse to let people make mistakes in life. AND…. After all this the scary thing is if I ever head a girl screaming again I will leave her to get raped… and maybe that might be you, girlfriend or even your child. I will never help anyone in this world again.

You might wonder what my qualifications are, they are; 1st in management accounting degree, HND in LAW, fully trained and licensed commercial pilot. – yet I cannot get a job as a pilot because I have a conviction for ABH over 10 years ago. Jack straw and Meg Hillier say that companies cant take this conviction into account when applying for jobs but believe me THEY DO, OVER AND OVER AGAIN, they just don’t tell you its for this reason.
Your rant <<<<<<<
Your beating of a rapist >>>>>>>
paella
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I doubt that, if he really was a child I imagine he was below the age of criminal responsibility.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (97)
68.31%
No (30)
21.13%
I didn't use it to prepare (15)
10.56%

Watched Threads