Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I just got my student packet today (!). In the packet was a lovely cdrom, with all sort of videos about student life.

I am moving to London from the US for study. My uni's accommodation has very large (for halls) accommodation, many of them ensuite, all of them singles. I am pretty quiet, and I need an environment where people won't be partying all of the time, or very, very dirty. I'm also older (22 later this month), and I am moving out of a non-peaceful home environment- so I do need a decent amount of peace.

Do halls typically kick you out during breaks? I would like to stay my summers in London.

But I also want to have a diverse group of friends and to network. I also know that I will probably never have a chance for the living in a hall experience again.

I'm a bit torn as what to do. I have thought about living in the halls for the first year, then going on my own - and no offense to our younger posters, but I do have concern about being surrounded by people as much as 5 years younger than me.

Any ideas?

(Original post by ...Sprigged...)
    Hello,

I just got my student packet today (!). In the packet was a lovely cdrom, with all sort of videos about student life.

I am moving to London from the US for study. My uni's accommodation has very large (for halls) accommodation, many of them ensuite, all of them singles. I am pretty quiet, and I need an environment where people won't be partying all of the time, or very, very dirty. I'm also older (22 later this month), and I am moving out of a non-peaceful home environment- so I do need a decent amount of peace.

Do halls typically kick you out during breaks? I would like to stay my summers in London.

But I also want to have a diverse group of friends and to network. I also know that I will probably never have a chance for the living in a hall experience again.

I'm a bit torn as what to do. I have thought about living in the halls for the first year, then going on my own - and no offense to our younger posters, but I do have concern about being surrounded by people as much as 5 years younger than me.

Any ideas?
    Fine dont take a 17 yr olds view!!! Well 17 in 24 days!!!

(Original post by ...Sprigged...)
    Hello,

Any ideas?
    i hope you are aware theres nothing wrong with talking to someon 16 yrs or older, as this is not classed as dodgy.
    Anyone younger then yes i would agree for your concern.

ReputationRep:
    most halls will kick you out over the summer vacation- although you can get large rooms, mine last year was ~ 16' by 10' with an ensuite (not huge but bigger than average).

for what its worth you'll probably be fine in halls. A uni accommodation dept isnt usually staffed by retards and thus they should put you in a quieter hall.

ReputationRep:
    Well you're an international student and uni's usually have provisions so that you can stay on in vacations, as obviously you have nowhere else to go! Give the admissions department an email and see what they say.

As for living in halls or a bedsit, it depends what you want really. If you're living by yourself in a bedsit you have that extra freedom, but then again halls gives you instant friends. It might be an idea to spend just the first year living in halls, and then the second year you can move out. And don't worry about people being younger than you, there will be some people that have taken gap years, there might even be postgraduates living in some halls. As for peace and quiet, you're not likely to get it, although it probably isn't as bad as you think! people aren't up partying all night every day, but you will get the occasional loud night. Whether you choose to join in or not is your choice!

ReputationRep:
    if there's a loud party going on and you're trying to work, you're quite within your rights to go tell them to shut up or go elsewhere, and they normally will. there are varying ages in halls, and once you get to uni it's a lot harder to tell who is in which year anyway because so many people have taken gap years or degraded or whatever. if you go to uni with the attitude that you don't want to mix with people of 1st year age you won't get very far, nor will you get far in life either. well that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    if you go to uni with the attitude that you don't want to mix with people of 1st year age you won't get very far, nor will you get far in life either. well that's just my opinion.
    Nope, that isn't my problem. I have lots of friends of various ages.

It sounds like it is diffrent in the UK. In the US, most first years go to university because mum and dad told them to, act like toddlers on their own for the first time doing the frat house thing (cherry bombs in the toilet, stealing your clothes and covering them in bad odors, setting your alarm to go off at 3am the night before a big test so you are ruined - trying to play childish pranks) get very drunk illegally far too often, and drop out. In the US, the dropout rate is very high- around 78%, I beleive. It has a good deal to to with this behavior.

Uni is fun, as it should be! But it isn't a drunken middle school party. I have no problem with drinking or joking. I just cannot have it get in the way of my academics so that I end up as another dropout statistic from going crazy due to my surroundings.

I suppose I can always close my door, and wear earplugs. But coming from a very unpeaceful enviroment, where I have to do just that, I'm not sure if I want to do it again.

I'm all for freindships with younger people- I do it all of the time . In the US, oftentimes people with an age gap are greatly different, even if it's a few years. I hope that it is different in the UK.

This is just my experience.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.