Turn on thread page Beta

Are degrees being devalued by the increasing amount of courses and studants? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is the introduction of degrees in Aromatherapy, Meat Management, and Acupuncture going to devalue degrees as a whole? Tony Blair aims to get 50% of studants into higher eduction, what effect will this have on the value of that education?
    I think that if more people have degrees they will become increasingly devalued. If there is something in great comodity people do not desire it as much as something that is rare. Perhaps if Tony Blair acheives his goal people will have to start taking a step up from degrees (PHDs?) to stand out in society.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, some may become [even more] devalued. However, hopefully the 'decent' universities will remain the way they are, and a degree from Oxford in Law will remain better than one from Napier.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don't think those of us who go to a known university doing degrees in traditional subjects will be effected too much.

In fact, those most effected will be the people Blair has been pusing into University education to start with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by divine_aphrael)
    Is the introduction of degrees in Aromatherapy, Meat Management, and Acupuncture going to devalue degrees as a whole? .
    Not at all, it just means we have better qualified Aromatherapists, meat producers, and Acupuncturists. In fact the two industries you mention are rather renowned for having many instances of unprofessionalism.
    Many complimentary therapists, for example, have been shown to be ripping people off, charging exorbitant prices for therapies that they can't even perform properly, or that they make unrealistic claims about.
    And if you ever watch programs like "life of grime" you'll see how many cases of food poisoning are caused every year by rogue meat traders, selling meat unfit for human consumption.

So no, I don't see what harm it will do to have more certification of qualification in these industries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by divine_aphrael)
    Is the introduction of degrees in Aromatherapy, Meat Management, and Acupuncture going to devalue degrees as a whole? Tony Blair aims to get 50% of studants into higher eduction, what effect will this have on the value of that education?
    I think that if more people have degrees they will become increasingly devalued. If there is something in great comodity people do not desire it as much as something that is rare. Perhaps if Tony Blair acheives his goal people will have to start taking a step up from degrees (PHDs?) to stand out in society.
    Depends on exactly what you define as 'devalue'. Obviously, the more people that take degrees, the less that their value will be. We're even at that point now. My sister has a degree in Psychology from Staffordshire Uni, and she's working at an insurance firm, where 9 of the 12 members of her 'team' have degrees. Surely, therefore, pushing for more degree-educated students will just lead to more dead-end, monotonous, skill-less jobs for people who would have hitherto been qualified to work within the most skilled, educated posts in this country?

ReputationRep:
    i think more people should be able to get to go to universaties.

people who want to go can't and people who can go go for the sake of there parents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)

people who want to go can't
    Why? If you mean they are from low income families then Labour has abolished up front tuition fees, and reintroduced maintenance grants specifically to help low income students.

ReputationRep:

people who want to go can't and people who can go go for the sake of there parents
    do you mean they can't go because they're not intelligent enough or can't afford to? because in theory everyone should be able to afford to with student loans and grants etc.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't necessarily mean that top degrees are de-valued. Having degrees in some random stupid subject just means the person doing it is wasting their time; it doesn't de-value, say an Economics degree.

But I think in general... yes. Because more people are trying for higher up universities because more people are applying, and its much easier to get high grades now, and you can apply to 6 Unis on UCAS; most Unis are just showered with applicants. Most don't interview anymore; too much of a drain on resources. So the selection process goes down, so the quality de-values... at least IMO. This is certainly true in the case of Oxbridge; the admissions process for that has definitely de-valued and its become easier to get into because its so much harder to see who are the intelligent applicants now; especially when people who clearly are not that intelligent and do not have top level grades are applying; and things are covered up like AS level grades rejected and UMS marks not shown. Also seems UGs are much less interested in working now because there are so many more of them as opposed to getting pissed... meh ill do that too i suppose though.

ReputationRep:
    HE doesn't always = degree.

I don't think they will be. No matter how many people are going to university, a first or upper second isn't going to handed out to just anybody. A first, in particular, will always be seen as a substantial achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Why? If you mean they are from low income families then Labour has abolished up front tuition fees, and reintroduced maintenance grants specifically to help low income students.
    top up fee's are bad enough... my mom is worried now cause my dad ran of with the savings my mom had for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    do you mean they can't go because they're not intelligent enough or can't afford to? because in theory everyone should be able to afford to with student loans and grants etc.
    yeah but i know alot of people who no matter how thee loans are meant to be great, don't want to be in debt before there even working

ReputationRep:
    more people afford efforts and paying money (and time) to go to uni
    should mean the market needs more degrees, even they are not good

ReputationRep:
    I think the number of students gaining degrees means the workforce is more valuable. Since they're common, not rare, they are less valuable relatively.

I don't think having Aromatheraputic graduates is going to devalue other fields, any more than Arts degrees have always done.

ReputationRep:
    top up fee's are bad enough.
    Please explain what you don't like about the new system??

There is a lot of misunderstanding about the actual changes, with the new system people have to pay ZERO tuition fees until you complete your degree and you are earning £15,000 per annum. So if you don't have enough money you never have to pay them. Before you would have to pay over £1100 per year up front.

Also, if your family is on a low income, under the new system you will receive a maintenance grant to help you pay for food, somewhere to live, etc.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but still the thought of the fee is scaring the hell out of alot of people

im ok with it really .. dont like the idea of the debt hanging over me but i know its not serious

(Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Not at all, it just means we have better qualified Aromatherapists, meat producers, and Acupuncturists. In fact the two industries you mention are rather renowned for having many instances of unprofessionalism.
    Many complimentary therapists, for example, have been shown to be ripping people off, charging exorbitant prices for therapies that they can't even perform properly, or that they make unrealistic claims about.
    And if you ever watch programs like "life of grime" you'll see how many cases of food poisoning are caused every year by rogue meat traders, selling meat unfit for human consumption.

So no, I don't see what harm it will do to have more certification of qualification in these industries.
    would it not be better instead to have 1/2 years vocational training than a 3 year degree in meat producing..?

ReputationRep:
    I hope that some of the people on this thread learn some spelling and grammar skills before they go to get their valueless degrees :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I do think Labour's 50% target is ridiculous. University should be for those who are academically intelligent and would like to study an academic subject in depth for 3+ years. There's no point introudcing degrees in vocational subjects; these should be taught on the job, like with NVQs. I also think it's silly that universities exist where you can get in with say DEE at A-level (140 points) with only a D in the subject you want to study further! In my opinion, there should be a minimum of CCC. With increasing numbers of students doing degrees, they are becoming less valued and less of an achievement than they were years ago, in the same way as getting straight As at A-level is far more common now than it used to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    in the same way as getting straight As at A-level is far more common now than it used to be.
    I would suggest this is due to more of the population getting an excellent education. Schools have improved dramatically over the last 20 years. Whats wrong with more students achieving higher?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.