Turn on thread page Beta

Are degrees being devalued by the increasing amount of courses and studants? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    I would suggest this is due to more of the population getting an excellent education. Schools have improved dramatically over the last 20 years. Whats wrong with more students achieving higher?
    The fact that you can't tell who is the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    I would suggest this is due to more of the population getting an excellent education. Schools have improved dramatically over the last 20 years. Whats wrong with more students achieving higher?
    Nothing, but I was just using it as an example of how things have changed. Years ago getting AAA at A-level was quite rare and an amazing achievement that would have almost guaranteed you at a place at a top university. Nowadays so many students are getting 3 or more As that the achievement of doing so has been devalued, just like getting a degree will become devalued if a lot of people get them.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that there are problems under the current system, but achieving AAA at A-level, especially in 3 academic, traditional subjects is a very well-respected achievement. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd say someone with AAA from Maths, English Lit and Physics has achieved more than someone with AAA from Media, Food Tech and Sociology, for example.

More to the point, there are ways of identifying the best by looking at UMS scores. It is really quite hard to achieve 280+ I think at AS and A2 in individual subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Graduates are a resource like any other. They are subject to supply and demand. The more of them there are, the less they are worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I agree that there are problems under the current system, but achieving AAA at A-level, especially in 3 academic, traditional subjects is a very well-respected achievement. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd say someone with AAA from Maths, English Lit and Physics has achieved more than someone with AAA from Media, Food Tech and Sociology, for example.

More to the point, there are ways of identifying the best by looking at UMS scores. It is really quite hard to achieve 280+ I think at AS and A2 in individual subjects.
    I disagree with your first point about subjects, but I've had enough of debating about 'mickey mouse' subjects recently, so no comment The second point about UMS marks is one I definitely agree with, which is why I think people should have to put their UMS marks as well as AS grades on their UCAS forms. Also, get rid of resits and make everyone declare their grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I disagree with your first point about subjects, but I've had enough of debating about 'mickey mouse' subjects recently, so no comment The second point about UMS marks is one I definitely agree with, which is why I think people should have to put their UMS marks as well as AS grades on their UCAS forms. Also, get rid of resits and make everyone declare their grades.
    I felt that very strongly (re declaring UMS) til I got to this point, screwed up my exams and realised I have 3 days to revise an AWESOME amount of law information for Wednesday (ie all of it :bawling: )

Now I'd rather not even declare my grades personally

ReputationRep:
    yup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    I felt that very strongly (re declaring UMS) til I got to this point, screwed up my exams and realised I have 3 days to revise an AWESOME amount of law information for Wednesday (ie all of it :bawling: )

Now I'd rather not even declare my grades personally
    Awww, stop stressing! :hugs: I'm sure you haven't screwed up your exams, and you can get an awful lot done in 3 days!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.