The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DJkG.1
You've interpreted my post very incorrectly, dare I say hatefully. The point is that there is a complex of racial inferiority which spurs songs with lyrics such as these, where peoples who feel, from their history and status in modern society in the majority, that they represent an underclass who somehow do not deserve equal status in the eyes of an objective viewer than a white person. Even without a single word of racism and without suffering any direct racial insults, parts of the American black community still suffer feelings of a diminished worth and psychological studies, such as the few back in 2006 describe explicitly over-procompensatory measures taken by black youths participating in Church activities over white youths etc., evidencing scientifically this phenomenon.

That's their problem. Do I have a right to feel a complex, and utilise it to my own ends, because my Scottish ancestors suffered at the hands of my English ancestors now and again (knowing my forefathers were both the oppressors and the oppressed)? Do I have a right to feel a complex because my ancestors were part of a clear "underclass" of working men? Everyone's ancestors have been subject to one form of persecution or another. Your post just seems like a feeble effort to justify that which others are restricted from doing (because of a taboo label) on the grounds of skin colour (lol, how ironic). And, furthermore, it makes absolutely no sense to rationalise it. For if - as you assume - black Americans have an irrational chip on their shoulder, it would undoubtedly be better not to continue to emphasise this "them" and "us" mentality. Seriously, anyone - especially someone who, for example, has made something of their lives e.g. a black millionnaire - who feels a persecution complex because their great-great-grandparents were enslaved or colonised needs to get their head checked.

DJkG.1
The white pride and Euro-Aryan supremacy songs you were writing / copying into your earlier posts had no resemblance to the motives of such black songs; they are clearly harping back to an imperialist time and expressing lyrically their desire to take charge and rule over other races of people who they deem inferior. This is not quite the same message, and if you are mature enough to notice this fine and subtle difference, you will realise that it has a very great significance and not be so infantile in your naive and idealistic arguments. :yep:

Yawn, meaningless words. :cry:
A is for Awesome
Have you even been reading the thread? All the references to black things in the song have a context. Jay-Z is not rapping about race. How many times does it need to be pointed out?
If you change it to white instead of black, all it means is the context would be lost. It wouldn't be racist, it just wouldn't make any sense.

Jesus Christ.

All the black references have a context only when analyzed in ways that I think are pretty ridiculous… He makes no references to their context, particularly for the 'everything black' lyric. I'd also find it quite a ludicrous statement for someone to say that everyone being black in the video (not just the 3 singers, but the crowds of black people) is just a separate coincidence from those lyrics.
Reply 102
EssentialParadox
All the black references have a context only when analyzed in ways that I think are pretty ridiculous… He makes no references to their context, particularly for the 'everything black' lyric. I'd also find it quite a ludicrous statement for someone to say that everyone being black in the video (not just the 3 singers, but the crowds of black people) is just a separate coincidence from those lyrics.

When he says everything black(not everyone black) he talking about it in terms of fashion sense. An all black dress code. It has nothing to do with black people. If you actually listened to how the lyrics are used rather than what they say you'd understand that.
EssentialParadox

:shifty: The context is his whole career, which is far from ridiculous. As I have said before, OP is a ****-stirrer who DOES NOT UNDERSTAND rap / hip hop music let alone Jay-Z's motivation, writing style, etc. And, in case you have never noticed, these types of music videos are always full of black people. That's their demographic. Bloody hell. Who's the millionaire giving away free shoulder chips today???
Reply 104
He makes no reference to their context because there is no need to; the fans know and so would anyone with a bit of awareness of the genre. He shouldn't be afraid to use the word black, and he shouldn't have to explain it, just like people shouldn't be afraid to use the word white. And it would hardly be appropriate for this video to have a large white cast when the demographic of his listeners are mostly black. About as appropriate as Taylor Swift having an all black cast in one of her country music videos.

When I read through this thread, the complaint I'm mostly hearing is "double standards". What double standards? Double standards because Jay Z used the word black as a theme and you couldn't do the same with white? I mean, have you honestly never seen an all white pop video, with an all white cast? Did you think that was racist too? OMFG DOUBLE STANDARDS

Seriously, do you watch tv? Do you read? Maybe you don't realise because these things are an accepted part of western culture, which is fine, but "white themes" are everywhere. Porcelein skin, good guys in white, white heaven, white cleanliness... Those are all covert themes. PLEASE don't misinterpret me, I'm NOT making any assumptions or accusations, I'm just saying using colour as a theme is not necessarily racist. All this 'double standards' stuff is usually just an thinly veiled argument for someone who wants to do/say something that they know they shouldn't.

Anyway... the point is the verse/video was positively embracing black not actively discriminating against any other race white, blue, yellow or green.

EDIT: I hope this comes out in the intention I meant it too. :s-smilie:
Reply 105
necessarily benevolent
That's their problem. Do I have a right to feel a complex, and utilise it to my own ends, because my Scottish ancestors suffered at the hands of my English ancestors now and again (knowing my forefathers were both the oppressors and the oppressed)? Do I have a right to feel a complex because my ancestors were part of a clear "underclass" of working men? Everyone's ancestors have been subject to one form of persecution or another. Your post just seems like a feeble effort to justify that which others are restricted from doing (because of a taboo label) on the grounds of skin colour (lol, how ironic). And, furthermore, it makes absolutely no sense to rationalise it. For if - as you assume - black Americans have an irrational chip on their shoulder, it would undoubtedly be better not to continue to emphasise this "them" and "us" mentality. Seriously, anyone - especially someone who, for example, has made something of their lives e.g. a black millionnaire - who feels a persecution complex because their great-great-grandparents were enslaved or colonised needs to get their head checked.

Yawn, meaningless words.

There is so much so awfully wrong with that. :rolleyes:

But I can't be arsed any more... good night.
DJkG.1
There is so much so awfully wrong with that. :rolleyes:

But I can't be arsed any more... good night.

:awesome: :top2: bonne nuit
Reply 107
necessarily benevolent

Yawn, meaningless words. :cry:

An apt description of your post :h:.
Dijobla
An apt description of your post :h:.

hahahahahahahaha
Dijobla
He shouldn't be afraid to use the word black, and he shouldn't have to explain it, just like people shouldn't be afraid to use the word white.

I agree with that very much, and I feel there shouldn't be any worries about racism.

It just irks me that black people who make music that is so positively biased toward black people (which isn't a bad thing), are the exact same people who complain to the heavens when a white person misspeaks and something they say is taken out of context… Just like the whole issue about a year ago with the BBC presenter who made a joke about 'gollywog' hair, and was promptly fired by the BBC. I believe that was nowhere near a racist comment, but people tip-toe around white people whereas black rappers can get away with some unimaginably racist lyrics, and there's nothing we can say about it because our ancestors treated them badly hundreds of years ago?

Like has been said in this thread a few times, if this was switched around to be white people singing, "make sure everything is white" (even if his fans defended the lyrics as talking about goodness) the song would cause an uproar.
I think this is because there definitely is a problem with double standards, and things need to change. It seems like each day white people lose a bit more freedom to make a joke here… or say an innocent word there… By no means am I racist, or have anything against black people in general, but there's only so far we can lean before things are flipped around and white people are the ones being victimized.
Reply 110
EssentialParadox
I agree with that very much, and I feel there shouldn't be any worries about racism.

It just irks me that black people who make music that is so positively biased toward black people (which isn't a bad thing), are the exact same people who complain to the heavens when a white person misspeaks and something they say is taken out of context… Just like the whole issue about a year ago with the BBC presenter who made a joke about 'gollywog' hair, and was promptly fired by the BBC. I believe that was nowhere near a racist comment, but people tip-toe around white people whereas black rappers can get away with some unimaginably racist lyrics, and there's nothing we can say about it because our ancestors treated them badly hundreds of years ago?

Like has been said in this thread a few times, if this was switched around to be white people singing, "make sure everything is white" (even if his fans defended the lyrics as talking about goodness) the song would cause an uproar.
I think this is because there definitely is a problem with double standards, and things need to change. It seems like each day white people lose a bit more freedom to make a joke here… or say an innocent word there… By no means am I racist, or have anything against black people in general, but there's only so far we can lean before things are flipped around and white people are the ones being victimized.

Are they the exact same people though? Really? And are you not doing exactly what those people are doing, taking something -the lyrics- out of context (and calling the context I quote "ridiculous" ) and then calling it into racism?

And trust me, "gollywog" is an offensive word. It has very negative connotations. Maybe it wasn't racist to you because you were never subject to it's affect. Just like I never realised calling someone "oriental" was offensive until my Chinese friend explained why, and since she told me, I refrain from using it. However, I appreciate that some people, usually older, are just so used to that terminology and don't mean harm from it. For example, I wouldn't be offended by an old man using the term "coloured", but I would if it were someone my own age who should know better.

It's not double standards because you are here, getting offended. And I'd say that black people aren't getting any more freedom than white people in terms of being able to speak out. Look at this thread for goodness sake- over one video, for a verse in a song that really isn't all that big news. To be honest, there is always some sort of uproar going on about how black people and ethnics play the race card or positive discrimination. I certainly never hear the end of it. And I'm pretty sure that none of this political-correctness-gone-mad has really stopped people from making the same innocent jokes at other peoples expense as they did before.

I'm going to bed. Somehow I always end up being roped into debates at 2 in the morning.
You're taking what COULD be racist, and saying that it is. It can be interpreted differently by different people. The OP thought it was racist.
It's like saying people who believe in the whole "Aryan race" concept were racist... some may interpret that believing they can create a master race out of specific features while casting out other races and committing genocide is racist, others think it's a brilliant idea as it'll help them rule the world. :p:
Dijobla
Just like I never realised calling someone "oriental" was offensive until my Chinese friend explained why, and since she told me, I refrain from using it.

Dijobla
And trust me, "gollywog" is an offensive word. It has very negative connotations.

I can't believe how hypocritical you're being. You first say people shouldn't be afraid to say innocent words, and political correctness has gone too far, but you don't even practice what you preach.

First, what exactly is offensive about using the word "Oriental" to describe something, or someone from asia? "Orient" originates from the latin word that means rising sun in the east, so you're not making any offensive connotations except saying they're from the Far East. I take no offense to being called a Westerner.

Second, 'Gollywog' sure can be used in a negative way, but it can also be used in multiple other ways, and the way she used it was to describe a hairstyle of a white person, it wasn't a negative use of the word in the least.

As soon as people start making innocent words into something offensive is when you're going too far. I suppose we should also ban the word, "black", like some PC advocates are encouraging that we should do, believe it or not.

Drunk Punx
The OP thought it was racist.

I really think the OP should stop being singled out as the only one, because I didn't find this thread by accident. I was watching the video and heard the lyrics and did a google search and found many more results on this subject, this thread was just one of those results (and pretty far down in the google search might I add), so the OP certainly isn't alone.
EssentialParadox
I really think the OP should stop being singled out as the only one, because I didn't find this thread by accident. I was watching the video and heard the lyrics and did a google search and found many more results on this subject, this thread was just one of those results (and pretty far down in the google search might I add), so the OP certainly isn't alone.

All this proves is that there are more idiots out there than we previously thought.
StraightDrive
All this proves is that there are more idiots out there than we previously thought.

I think it's displaying a lack of empathy if you're unable to understand why other people are perceiving it differently from you.
EssentialParadox
I think it's displaying a lack of empathy if you're unable to understand why other people are perceiving it differently from you.

No, it just means they can't understand the definitions of 'racist' and 'context', both of which have been extensively covered in this thread.
Reply 116
EssentialParadox
I can't believe how hypocritical you're being. You first say people shouldn't be afraid to say innocent words, and political correctness has gone too far, but you don't even practice what you preach.

I made that last post at 2:43am so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the most consistent argument, but I am certainly not being hypocritical. I don't believe political correctness has gone too far, I was being sarcastic and saying PC hasn't really stopped anyone from saying what they feel. But now their excuse for saying more offensive things is "PCGONEMAD!!1212!!" or "it's just reverse racism" etc.

First, what exactly is offensive about using the word "Oriental" to describe something, or someone from asia? "Orient" originates from the latin word that means rising sun in the east, so you're not making any offensive connotations except saying they're from the Far East. I take no offense to being called a Westerner.

The way my Chinese friend explained it is that to her, the word Oriental is offensive when applied to a person, not an object... so once again, it's all about context (you know... that thing you find ridiculous). And apparently the word is more offensive in North America (which is where she was born) than it is in Europe. Like I said, I didn't know it was offensive until she told me. However, I don't claim to know much about the origins of the word or Asian history, so if anybody wishes to enlighten me there, feel free.

Second, 'Gollywog' sure can be used in a negative way, but it can also be used in multiple other ways, and the way she used it was to describe a hairstyle of a white person, it wasn't a negative use of the word in the least.

I don't believe that the reporter was intentionally being offensive when she said it, but the fact is the word Gollywog originated from a racist, stereotypical image of black people that is offensive. Her comparison could easily be interpreted as offensive.

As soon as people start making innocent words into something offensive is when you're going too far. I suppose we should also ban the word, "black", like some PC advocates are encouraging that we should do, believe it or not.

Here we go again with your PCGONEMAD-ness. What advocates? Can you show me? Or is this more hearsay/propaganda/nonsense? Once again, it's all about CONTEXT. Like I said before, people should not be afraid to use the word black or white to describe people, but nobody should use them offensively. Maybe this is where you have difficulty understanding what I'm saying, because it is possible for two things to be true at once. The word "black" is not like the word "golliwog" which came from inherently racist origins and therefore they should be used carefully. The word "black" is like the word "bitch" or "bastard" or "pig", innocent words which can be very offensive in certain CONTEXTS. This song is not a racist context. Saying "black cards, black cars, black everything" is about as racist as saying "blue cards, blue cars, blue everything".

Which just proves my point that yours and other peoples statements that black people get a free ride when it comes to racism is null. Jay Z does not get a free ride, just like Kanye doesn't when he says his stupid crap. Everyone goes on the internet and complains about it and calls it reverse racism. I can't believe this is all over this crappy video (which isn't even an original concept...) and one verse which mentioned the colour black.

Read the red.

Society has a very short memory. Things have only really started to become "equal" between the races in the last half-century, which is a very short time in comparison to the history of man and racism. For a long time the balance between races was off, and I don't blame anybody alive today for what their ancestors might have done, and I try very hard to hear both sides and be open for discussion. What I consistently seem to notice is how unwilling people are to put things back in balance; ie, relinquish some of the priviledges and power once afforded to you and share them with other people in order to give them an equal opportunity.
I've seen this universally, in racism, ageism, sexism, religion... As soon as people start to notice that things are no longer as they were, that they cannot say and do the same things without fear of reprimand, that they are not automatically at an advantage they get scared and defensive and the results trickle down into arguments like reverse racism PCGONEMAD123 and threads on TSR, which I cannot resist participating in.
Dijobla
The way my Chinese friend explained it is that to her, the word Oriental is offensive when applied to a person, not an object... so once again, it's all about context (you know... that thing you find ridiculous). And apparently the word is more offensive in North America (which is where she was born) than it is in Europe. Like I said, I didn't know it was offensive until she told me. However, I don't claim to know much about the origins of the word or Asian history, so if anybody wishes to enlighten me there, feel free.

I'm sure the Chinese girl explained to you how she felt it was an offensive use of the word but, believe it or not, she doesn't speak for Asia… I have many asian friends (including my asian girlfriend and her asian relatives) that are on my side of the fence and see the use of "Oriental" as not much different to calling Americans or Europeans, "Westerners." Whether it's directed at an object or a person doesn't really make it any more, or less offensive. If you encountered a black person who found the word, "black" offensive, would you stop using the word completely? Or would you want a discussion with them about how they consider it an offensive word and get to the root of whether they're right to be offended by its use?

Dijobla
Here we go again with your PCGONEMAD-ness. What advocates? Can you show me? Or is this more hearsay/propaganda/nonsense?

"The fear of causing offence has led some advocates of political correctness to ban words such as black"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2008/10/27/political-correctness-has-it-g.html

Here's another related article of just a few weeks ago that I think you'll also find particularly interesting: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6806502.ece

"The Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission has advised staff to replace the phrase “black day” with “miserable day”"

"The commission even urges employees to be mindful of the term “ethnic minority” because it can imply “something smaller and less important”."

"Advice issued by the South West Regional Development Agency states: “Terms such as ‘black sheep of the family’, ‘black looks’ and ‘black mark’ have no direct link to skin colour but potentially serve to reinforce a negative view of all things black. Equally, certain terms imply a negative image of ‘black’ by reinforcing the positive aspects of white.
"

…Are you beginning to get what I meant before about society having double standards?
Nah, I's say it's more Masonic than anything else.....
Either there's a distinct lack of interesting threads on TSR today, or people have what I like to call "reviveathread syndrome".

Latest

Trending

Trending