Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBeLLax)
    Neither are offered at my school. I take all the social sciences junior year. The only other AP classes availabe, besides the one I mentioned, are more science ones
    The problem is that your offer will be based solely on your grades in your senior year. And LSE would expect at least a few relevant AP classes. Otherwise they might ask for four 5s.

Perhaps you can try teaching macroeconomics and European history to yourself? The subjects are not that hard. And they become pretty easy to understand once you are able to graps some basic concepts. Just put yourself in LSE's position. How can you judge someone's ability in the social sciences when they aren't taking any in their senior year?

What's human geography by the way?

ReputationRep:
    Haha....human geography.

I self studied for it and I still don't know.

Its like the study of humans over the space of the globe - theres population geography, political geography, agricultural geography etc. it basically skims a billion topics in reference to what kind of agricultural, political, economic, etc. characteristics are involved in different places all over the globe. the AP is supposed to be ********, in previous years it was - this year I actually found it hard.

ReputationRep:
    do all British colleges just ignore the GPA and class rank? I was thinking about maybe applying to several easier institutions in Britain such as University of Edinburgh and UCL in order to get unconditional offers (i know someone from my school that got an unconditional offer from st. andrews this year) so incase oxford and LSE dont work out, I still shall end up ok in a good institute. but UCL and Edinburgh seems to imply that they care about the GPA and stuff??

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Leeds and St Andrews as well as LSE and Oxford - got unconditional offers from both - didnt send them GPA or class rank either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebrittzditz)
    Haha....human geography.

I self studied for it and I still don't know.

Its like the study of humans over the space of the globe - theres population geography, political geography, agricultural geography etc. it basically skims a billion topics in reference to what kind of agricultural, political, economic, etc. characteristics are involved in different places all over the globe. the AP is supposed to be ********, in previous years it was - this year I actually found it hard.
    You could probably get most of this stuff off the internet. The subject sounds as important as 11th century Swedish political thought.

When are you supposed to get results for the APs? Mid-July?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    You could probably get most of this stuff off the internet. The subject sounds as important as 11th century Swedish political thought.

When are you supposed to get results for the APs? Mid-July?
    results are supposed to be available on july 1st by phone - so thats a week from friday - **bites nails**

Human geography is defnitely the most pointless AP - Barrons is the only review book available for it and there are few texts. half of it is common sense/stuff you've learnt in other classes (mostly history, some environmental science, etc) - the other half is random useless terms that arent complicated but require memorization.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebrittzditz)
    results are supposed to be available on july 1st by phone - so thats a week from friday - **bites nails**

Human geography is defnitely the most pointless AP - Barrons is the only review book available for it and there are few texts. half of it is common sense/stuff you've learnt in other classes (mostly history, some environmental science, etc) - the other half is random useless terms that arent complicated but require memorization.
    Good luck. I'm finishing my current job the same day, so we both have something to look forward to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmydoerre3)
    what exactly does LSE look at for international students from the United States. when i emailed the admissions office, they replied with a copied and pasted paragraph from there website (very helpful indeed, as if i couldnt have gotten it myself) I am currently only a junior but i probably shall apply in the fall. Does lse pay a lot of attention to GPAs? (mine is pretty terrible, 4.2 weighted and 3.5ish unweighted) or does lse put more focus on standarlized testing. (that would be much better: 1500 on SAT, SAT IIs : 750 math I, 750 math II, 790 world history, 800 us history, 800 chinese, 750 english and 4 APs all 5s. can some americans that got in already tell me something about there stats? thanxs
    You'll very likely get into LSE, and have a good chance at Oxford and Cambridge. LSE does not consider the SAT I, but does the SAT II's and most heavily the APs. Your grade point average doesn't really matter as the American high school system is laughably pathetic and anything associated with it (like the GPA) is pretty much ignored. Extra-curriculars matter much less than they do in the States. Test scores form the main basis of consideration, with the Personal Statement counting for quite a bit too. Express dedication and academic interest regarding the programme that you will be seeking; do not use an American-style frilly dreams and life-story essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NMiller5a)
    You'll very likely get into LSE, and have a good chance at Oxford and Cambridge.
    I think most Americans that got rejected to Oxford applied to Balliol or Merton or something but i shall apply to Mansfield so hopefully I will get in that. But LSE law and economics seems incredibly hard, the admission rate is like 6-7% (from there prospectus) so who knows........................... by the way is SOAS any good, compared to LSE and others for law (the Guardian seems to think its amazing)

ReputationRep:
    oh does anyone know what you should do if your new SAT score and SAT II results come out in novemberish while the UCAS form is due in october..........can you tell the school to delay evaluation or something or give estimated grades for those tests?

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that your offer will be based solely on your grades in your senior year. And LSE would expect at least a few relevant AP classes. Otherwise they might ask for four 5s.

Perhaps you can try teaching macroeconomics and European history to yourself? The subjects are not that hard. And they become pretty easy to understand once you are able to graps some basic concepts. Just put yourself in LSE's position. How can you judge someone's ability in the social sciences when they aren't taking any in their senior year?

What's human geography by the way?
    Good point. I'll see what I can do about that. I might be able to get them to offer AP Macroeconomics as a class since no economics courses are taught in the district if I get enough interested people.

Does anyone know how LSE feels in regards to classes taken via the community college way ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmydoerre3)
    oh does anyone know what you should do if your new SAT score and SAT II results come out in novemberish while the UCAS form is due in october..........can you tell the school to delay evaluation or something or give estimated grades for those tests?
    yea i was wondering that too...

ReputationRep:
    its ok for LSE cause i emailed them and they were like "nothing except for APs, we dont take SATs or SAT IIs" WTF.........but i still havent figured out what to do for the other schools i will apply to like edinburgh, oxford and maybe edinburgh or soas

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that your offer will be based solely on your grades in your senior year. And LSE would expect at least a few relevant AP classes.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: Does that mean APs taken during Junior year wouldn't count?? Does that apply for all UK uni's?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda)
    :eek: :eek: :eek: Does that mean APs taken during Junior year wouldn't count?? Does that apply for all UK uni's?? :eek: :eek: :eek:
    They would count towards LSE's decision to give you an offer or not, but the actual offer is usually conditional on your AP grades taken in your senior year. I suppose if you do well enough on the APs taken during junior year (i.e. get all 5s), then you might get an unconditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...that doesn't make sense to me, as AP's are the same no matter what year you take them - doing them early shouldn't hurt you.

While my GPA isn't TOO bad (3.9uw, class rank of low top 5% I think), grades dropped this year and class rank is definitely low enough to hurt me in the US. You wouldn't know it from my test scores, so only looking at that would help me. I have 5's on AP USH, Chem, and English Language, and 3/4 on Calc BC/AB. Am I correct in guessing that the calc score won't matter so much because I'm applying for probably international history (if not that, then international relations)? Anyway, I'm more likely to get an IB offer because I'm also an IB student, so I'm not sure my AP's matter at all. 1500/2250 SAT (750 each section, I'm crazy). SATII's: 800 math 2c, 790 chemistry, 740 ush. The scores are highish but not really related to my course?

ReputationRep:
    the reference section of the UCAS online form is really confusing.......do you give your teacher your password and username so they can go in and write it our do they give it to you on a word document for you to paste it in.............wut about confidentiality, do they not care that you are going to read wut was written by ur reference?

ReputationRep:
    oh i think i just noticed a section on UCAS that says "USA-High School Graduation Diploma". Do we have to fill that section out? I mean my high school grades arent that great (they are so so) and did all the American candidates that applied to LSE fill out that section. I only filled out my Ap scores and SAT scores.............(i thought LSE didnt care about high school grades or GPA)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.