Turn on thread page Beta

Anybody else worried that they WON'T get their predictions? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    I just read the thread about how people nearly always exceed their predicted grades. However, I am actually worrying about not reaching my predicted grades. I would be VERY happy if I did.

To be honest there has not been one exam so far where I have come out at the end and thought "Yes, I have an A* in that". I've found them all quite taxing compared to the mock exams and I am doubting I will reach my predictions.

Anybody else feel the same?

predicted grades are......

*drumroll*

....a prediction. Yes, that's right, folks, a prediciton. They are ultimately someone's opinion of what you could acheive. At the end of the day, predicted grades are a simple aim for the person to maybe aim for, but it really is not the end of the world if you don't.

Predicted grades don't account for how you feel on the exam day or
    a really tough (or easy) paper. So, no one knows what grades you feel you have acheived except you.

You seem worried by the thread about people exceeding their predicted grades...please do not think that they are in the majority. For the hundreds of thousands of GCSE candidates, many will not acheive the grades they want or were predicted to. Personally, my mock exams were so much easier than the real exams, so you certainly aint alone there!

Often people are happily surprised after feeling they have done terribly in an exam but are given a better grade. Some are not. Well, you have a nice long summer to brace yourself for whatever happens. After your GCSE exams are over, just enjoy your summer, accept that you may not have done what you wanted or what others thought, but be proud of whatever results you get. You never know, you might just be surprised Good luck

ReputationRep:
    All I need is 3 Bs and 3Cs to get into sixth form, so I'm just enjoying the exams with little stress. Who cares if you get 10-11 A*s? They're only good for bragging about for a month, and most universtities and employers don't care about GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    C grades are not crap! Obviously you want to do as well as you can and you want to achieve or surpass your predictions to make your parents and teachers proud, but at the end of the day, you've done your best and you just have to be happy with whatever you get. There's an obsession on these boards about getting A*s, and of course it's good to get them, but if you don't, it's definitely not the end of the world. A-levels are far more important. The requirement for most sixth forms and colleges, except private and grammar schools, is 5 Cs. At the end of the day, anything from A*-G is a pass and anything from A*-C is a good pass. You can't do anything about the exams you think you've done badly in now, so just chill out and enjoy the summer
    Okay, perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "crap". I know that for most people at my school, they would be very disappointed with any C-grades because of the amount of effort and work the majority of people put in. I guess it depends on each person as an individual, but for me, I would think I had done crap and I would be very disappointed with myself and my performance if I got any C grades.

ReputationRep:
    some people see C's as average i see it as ****. my predicted grades were all B's And a few C's but i know i can easily do better than that. so im not worried about achieving my predicted grades i just want to get above them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    predicted grades are......

*drumroll*

....a prediction. Yes, that's right, folks, a prediciton. They are ultimately someone's opinion of what you could acheive. At the end of the day, predicted grades are a simple aim for the person to maybe aim for, but it really is not the end of the world if you don't.

Predicted grades don't account for how you feel on the exam day or
    a really tough (or easy) paper. So, no one knows what grades you feel you have acheived except you.

You seem worried by the thread about people exceeding their predicted grades...please do not think that they are in the majority. For the hundreds of thousands of GCSE candidates, many will not acheive the grades they want or were predicted to. Personally, my mock exams were so much easier than the real exams, so you certainly aint alone there!

Often people are happily surprised after feeling they have done terribly in an exam but are given a better grade. Some are not. Well, you have a nice long summer to brace yourself for whatever happens. After your GCSE exams are over, just enjoy your summer, accept that you may not have done what you wanted or what others thought, but be proud of whatever results you get. You never know, you might just be surprised Good luck
    Well said! Thanks for your input

Good luck to you too.

ReputationRep:
    Biology. I'm doomed
    after completely f*cking up the Biology exam

Look everyone did bad in the biology exam and it was a very hard paper. I was talking to the head of bio when i handed my book in and he was saying it one of the hardest in the last few years and was surprised at how difficult it was. It was hard and so the grade boundries will be lowered. Stop worrying about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rico dan man)
    some people see C's as average i see it as ****. my predicted grades were all B's And a few C's but i know i can easily do better than that. so im not worried about achieving my predicted grades i just want to get above them.
    then i see you as a ******.
    you know you can easily do better then that fair enough, it dosent mean anything unless you get real competitive, C's are all most people need and are the most some people can achieve in such unbalanced tests requiring no intelligence other then wasting away indoors revising useless ****..

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure I won't achieve them, in Bio and History definately. I don't think it's because I didn't know the stuff, I was just a bit unlucky with the tests. I -hated- the Edexcel Bio test, especially. It was great for people who didn't know the stuff and crap for people who did.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, chill out. First of all, I don't think anyone has the right to say C grades are crap. C grades are an achievemnt to alot of people, just because you can achieve more doen't mean those grades are crap. Some people will probably make more of an achievent gaining a C grade than others will an A*. It depends on how well you can obtain information and how good you are at exams. I thought this was perfectly obvious, people are offending one another so could people be a little less arrogant and stop putting other people down.

Secondly, I am aiming for a few A*'s but I can get over it if I got an A (maybe not for art but thats personal pride) At the end of the day, in the whole scheme of things if your GCSE's aren't quite up to scratch you'll be able to get over it. Its when your A levels aren't that you have problems. Thats when you'll be stressing, so don't worry about, just work your ass off and see what happens. More likley than not we'll all be fine.

ReputationRep:
    One of the most important things about doing well in exams is to be chilled. I cannot fathom why people stress and worry so much after an exam; after an exam they cannot change in the least bit. Why worry? Learn to forget about it, it's done you cannot do anything about it. You must look to your future exams and work hard for those. Just do your hardest and when you get your results, may you be pleased.

I don't agree with people saying C grades are bad. I understand that it can be such a disappointment to get a C sometimes because it sort of...ruins the whole thing and seems a little boring. I know. However, a C is a C and some of us are ecstatic at Cs, some not...but it'd be great if some of you didn't seem so pompous about it because it's making other people feel a bit low, that's not on. Just because you think you're not doing well in your exams [though I don't understand why, if you are capable of A*s] it doesn't mean you have the right to put others down.

Finally, personally I found the mocks easier but we'll just have to wait and see on the 25th August. Good luck all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkymonk)
    One of the most important things about doing well in exams is to be chilled. I cannot fathom why people stress and worry so much after an exam; after an exam they cannot change in the least bit. Why worry? Learn to forget about it, it's done you cannot do anything about it. You must look to your future exams and work hard for those. Just do your hardest and when you get your results, may you be pleased.

I don't agree with people saying C grades are bad. I understand that it can be such a disappointment to get a C sometimes because it sort of...ruins the whole thing and seems a little boring. I know. However, a C is a C and some of us are ecstatic at Cs, some not...but it'd be great if some of you didn't seem so pompous about it because it's making other people feel a bit low, that's not on. Just because you think you're not doing well in your exams [though I don't understand why, if you are capable of A*s] it doesn't mean you have the right to put others down.

Finally, personally I found the mocks easier but we'll just have to wait and see on the 25th August. Good luck all.
    I agree, but sometimes it cant be helped worrying about exams afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    Okay, perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "crap". I know that for most people at my school, they would be very disappointed with any C-grades because of the amount of effort and work the majority of people put in. I guess it depends on each person as an individual, but for me, I would think I had done crap and I would be very disappointed with myself and my performance if I got any C grades.
    Fair enough. Considering that only 46% of students in my year got 5 A*-C grades, meaning that for the remaining 54%, Cs would have been a fantastic achievement, it seems like we just go to very different schools and therefore have very different outlooks on the whole grades issue. I know most of my year didn't put a lot of work or effort in. Some did, but still got Cs or even worse, so I don't think it's quite fair to say that Cs are crap since some people have to work really hard for them. In any case, I do see where you're coming from; I'd probably have been quite disappointed if I'd got any Cs as well, but I wouldn't have thought I'd done crap or anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. Considering that only 46% of students in my year got 5 A*-C grades, meaning that for the remaining 54%, Cs would have been a fantastic achievement, it seems like we just go to very different schools and therefore have very different outlooks on the whole grades issue. I know most of my year didn't put a lot of work or effort in. Some did, but still got Cs or even worse, so I don't think it's quite fair to say that Cs are crap since some people have to work really hard for them. In any case, I do see where you're coming from; I'd probably have been quite disappointed if I'd got any Cs as well, but I wouldn't have thought I'd done crap or anything like that.
    46%? wow pretty low, how come its so low? And at my school i think its abotu 70% 5 A*-C, at my friends school its 100% lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yah - its 100% at my school - It's like sacreligious to get a D :confused: :eek: .

ReputationRep:
    Inner city schools, some are as low as 20%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    46%? wow pretty low, how come its so low? And at my school i think its abotu 70% 5 A*-C, at my friends school its 100% lol.
    That was actually the highest my school's ever got lol, and it's the best comprehensive in my area. The others are all on special measures! :rofl: It may be because there are 4 local grammar schools, 2 for boys and 2 for girls, so most high-achieving students go to one of them, whereas if there were no grammar schools, everyone would have to go to the comprehensives if they didn't want to go private and that would obviously bump up the pass rate.

ReputationRep:
    it just depends on what kind of school you go to and what kind of career you want, also obviously some people are more academic than others.

if someone is capable of getting 10A*s and gets 10Cs they would be incredibly disappointed. at the same time, someone who failed all their mocks might be over the moon with 10Cs. but i really don't think people who are obviously expecting to get grades that are much higher than the average should moan about their marks because its obvious they just wanna be told how wonderful they are.

get this: my friend in the year above, took all her gcses last year. she got 11A*s and 1 A. i went to get her results with her and she burst into tears. i obviously thought she was crying cos she was happy and relieved so i was laughing at her. she goes 'its not funny! don't laugh at me! i got an A!' and carries on weeping. i was like 'what the hell, these are brilliant grades'. then she says 'NO I'M SO DISAPPOINTED! I REALLY WANTED 12 A*S AND I GOT AN A! I'VE RUINED MY FUTURE!'

you've just gotta laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinderella1288)

get this: my friend in the year above, took all her gcses last year. she got 11A*s and 1 A. i went to get her results with her and she burst into tears. i obviously thought she was crying cos she was happy and relieved so i was laughing at her. she goes 'its not funny! don't laugh at me! i got an A!' and carries on weeping. i was like 'what the hell, these are brilliant grades'. then she says 'NO I'M SO DISAPPOINTED! I REALLY WANTED 12 A*S AND I GOT AN A! I'VE RUINED MY FUTURE!'

you've just gotta laugh.
    in some ways shes right, having a mind like that your future certainly is ****ed

ReputationRep:
    I guess we do simply have different outlooks. The A*-C grades at my school were 99.4% last year, so you can see getting a C is not a particularly excellent acheivement.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not worried about getting my predicted grades. What I'm worried about is getting grades that aren't my best. I don't want to get my results and think to myself that I could have done better if I did a bit more revision etc. Try not to worry anyway - you can only do your best and nobody can ask anymore of you than that.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.