Turn on thread page Beta

Anybody else worried that they WON'T get their predictions? watch

ReputationRep:
    they say you improve from your mock grades only 1 or 2 grades but i dont believe in that, it depends how hard u work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    C grades are not crap! Obviously you want to do as well as you can and you want to achieve or surpass your predictions to make your parents and teachers proud, but at the end of the day, you've done your best and you just have to be happy with whatever you get. There's an obsession on these boards about getting A*s, and of course it's good to get them, but if you don't, it's definitely not the end of the world. A-levels are far more important. The requirement for most sixth forms and colleges, except private and grammar schools, is 5 Cs. At the end of the day, anything from A*-G is a pass and anything from A*-C is a good pass. You can't do anything about the exams you think you've done badly in now, so just chill out and enjoy the summer
    most people who got c grades deffinately havent done their est, every one in the country could get over Bs. Cs are definately CRAP. Also GCSes are far more important that u make out. And the sixth form i am goin to requires B-A in the subject u are doin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llanberismecca)
    most people who got c grades deffinately havent done their est, every one in the country could get over Bs. Cs are definately CRAP. Also GCSes are far more important that u make out. And the sixth form i am goin to requires B-A in the subject u are doin
    C grade are average. What proof do you have to say that. Sixth form ask for B's so that are accepting students over average otherswise anyone would go to sixth form. Just because C grade are crap to you doesn't mean they're crap to others you state your opinion as a fact when it isn't.

GCSE's are important depending on whether you want to go to somewhere like Oxford. Generally it is your Alevels that are looked at. I don't think you realise how much you can out people down with your comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by October Project)
    I'm a quite a sad person, so I've written all my mock results on a Post It, stuck it on my wall, then done the same for my predicted grades and another blank one for when I get my results.

I'm pretty confident about getting the grades I've predicted. For a few, I'm pretty sure I've actually done better (predicted C/B for RE, but the exam went really well, so I'm now thinking an A). But then again, some of my predictions I don't think I'll get now (A* for History, for example. I messed up on the timing, so I hope to get an A instead if Paper 2 goes well).

Although it's sometimes disheartening to predict grades, and then do an exam and know you didn't get what you predicted, I still think it's worth making predictions, as you probably will do better in some, which makes it worth it in my opinion.
    Well you don't know anything yet! You could be in for a surprise come results day.

ReputationRep:
    I think you've just got to wait until results day because there's no point stressing over your results now because the're done and finished with and no matter how much you stress about what you got or what you are going to get it's not going to change your results. You're better to spend the time revising instead.
    Also a C is not crap, a C is a good pass grade i know people who work hard all year and only just manage a C grade.
    Do you really have to get Bs to enter your sixth-forms! for mine you only have to get four Ds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelrainbow32)
    I think you've just got to wait until results day because there's no point stressing over your results now because the're done and finished with and no matter how much you stress about what you got or what you are going to get it's not going to change your results. You're better to spend the time revising instead.
    Also a C is not crap, a C is a good pass grade i know people who work hard all year and only just manage a C grade.
    Do you really have to get Bs to enter your sixth-forms! for mine you only have to get four Ds.
    Four D-grades???! No offence, but your Sixth Forms A-Level results must really suffer. If people are not capable of getting at least a C grade in a GCSE subject, then there is little hope of them doing even remotely well at A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    I think the motto or whatever it is is something like
    'equal opportunities for all'
    Yeah the school sixth-form is in the middle rankings for my area, but the quality of teaching is quite good. They have a range of people some will get 5 As and some will only manage Ds or Es.
    The worst thing is it's one of the best sixth-form centres in the area that i could go to i think it's second best out of five.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:
    To get into my 6th form I have to get 5 A-Cs at GCSEs in general, and also B+ in whatever subjects I'm continuing for AS. A C is not crap, I also know a lot of people who have worked hard and been overjoyed when they got the C they worked for. If you have higher ambitions then good for you, but don't belittle the achievements of others. Also I agree with everyone else - you could be in for a shock come results day... :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    C's are good grades for some and not for others......there are some people that **** about so get C's but then theres some that get C's after workin so hard. we shud respect that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llanberismecca)
    How can you say that? You don't know everyone in the country who has ever got a C grade, so how can you possibly judge how hard they've worked? It's true that some people who were capable of getting Bs or above ended up with Cs because they didn't work hard enough, but for others who were predicted Ds and Es, getting Cs would be excellent. Cs are the 4th highest grades out of 8 and are the national average, so they're certainly not crap. Just because youn think you'll get higher than Cs and most people on this board get fantastic results, that doesn't mean you can put other people down and dismiss their grades as 'crap' when they might have worked really hard for them and been really proud of them. GCSEs are not that important; their only purpose is to get you onto A-levels and then they pale into insignificance. The top universities do look at your GCSE grades, but as long as they're not terrible, they won't make that much difference to your application.

ReputationRep:
    Any grade down to a G is a pass grade, and some people will struggle but be proud to achieve 2 Gs. You shouldn't go round putting others who perhaps struggle more than you by saying that Cs are crap. A C is a pass at higher level, which is decent enough for any college or employer to consider you. I know some people will get Cs or Ds when they could have got As or Bs through lack of work and effort and they might feel dissapointed, but anyone who puts a decent amount of time into revision should be able to do relatively well in the exams. I really can't understand all the people here who saying they were predicted A* but feel they are going to get a C. Even if you panic in the exam, you should easily get an a or at worst a B if you were predicted an A*. GCSE marking isn't as strict as you think, and on most higher papers, a C is pretty low, ie around 40-50%. Anyway, I'm just going to forget about how I thought I did in the exams and relax until August 25th, because no matter how well I thought I did, I can't change it now, and I know that whatever grade I get will be the grade I deserve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherunsaway)
    Any grade down to a G is a pass grade, and some people will struggle but be proud to achieve 2 Gs. You shouldn't go round putting others who perhaps struggle more than you by saying that Cs are crap. A C is a pass at higher level, which is decent enough for any college or employer to consider you. I know some people will get Cs or Ds when they could have got As or Bs through lack of work and effort and they might feel dissapointed, but anyone who puts a decent amount of time into revision should be able to do relatively well in the exams. I really can't understand all the people here who saying they were predicted A* but feel they are going to get a C. Even if you panic in the exam, you should easily get an a or at worst a B if you were predicted an A*. GCSE marking isn't as strict as you think, and on most higher papers, a C is pretty low, ie around 40-50%. Anyway, I'm just going to forget about how I thought I did in the exams and relax until August 25th, because no matter how well I thought I did, I can't change it now, and I know that whatever grade I get will be the grade I deserve.
    C is a classed as a 'good pass'. An E is a pass but not a very good one so people can't really say a Cis crap because it's nationally recognised as a good pass.

ReputationRep:
    Only officially though. If an employer looks at a bunch of Cs its not going to look really impressive to them. That's not to say a C is crap, mind, cause I know a lot of people need to put in a lot of effort to get them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NSiky)
    Only officially though. If an employer looks at a bunch of Cs its not going to look really impressive to them. That's not to say a C is crap, mind, cause I know a lot of people need to put in a lot of effort to get them.
    It depends what kind of employer. If its an employer looking to employ a doctor then C grades aren't partically impressive when there are people with lists of A grades. But to an FE college or to another employer C grade are fine.

ReputationRep:
    Employers will look at those with 11A*s and perhaps think, well they're academically clever, but are they able to communicate and work with other, and solve problems by themselves as well. Character and personality which they assess by interviews are very important as well as academic grades.

ReputationRep:
    Employers will look at those with 11A*s and perhaps think, well they're academically clever, but are they able to communicate and work with other, and solve problems by themselves as well. Character and personality which they assess by interviews are very important as well as academic grades.
    If you are capable of 11 A* grades then, chances are, you can "solve problems by yourself". I do agree that character and personality are important as well, but personally, I think employers (for good jobs anyway) put them behind academic performance.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, exactly. Someone is academic may not have any interpersonal skills or they may not have other qualities that are important for the job. For example, doctors have to be senstive as well as academic. That is why you are interviewed becuase it is more often than not your personality that get you a job. Arrogant people would struggle no matter how high their grades are.

Good point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    If you are capable of 11 A* grades then, chances are, you can "solve problems by yourself". I do agree that character and personality are important as well, but personally, I think employers (for good jobs anyway) put them behind academic performance.
    Not entirely true. A friend of mine recently got into Oxford to do medicine and her GCSE grades weren't exactly excellent. She got all A*/A except for something like one B and one C, and I'm sure there were hundreds of others who did better academically and could have got in, but apparently her interview must have went well. That's not to say anybody around here who wants to do medicine should slack off and think a C is fine but I'm just pointing out that her character seems to have won them over, even though she got a C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    I just read the thread about how people nearly always exceed their predicted grades. However, I am actually worrying about not reaching my predicted grades. I would be VERY happy if I did.

To be honest there has not been one exam so far where I have come out at the end and thought "Yes, I have an A* in that". I've found them all quite taxing compared to the mock exams and I am doubting I will reach my predictions.

Anybody else feel the same?
    My GCSE results didn't match my predictions at all. I got way more Bs than I should've, but also more A*s than I should've too! I wouldn't say GCSEs are unpredictable, but my results were a real mixed bag.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I'm predicted ALL A*s, I don't see any way of me reaching my predictions. I'll be incredibly happy to get all A*s and As, but after I misread the English Literature TKAM question (and screwed up French a bit), it's looking doubtful.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.