Turn on thread page Beta

Anybody else worried that they WON'T get their predictions? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkymonk)
    Not entirely true. A friend of mine recently got into Oxford to do medicine and her GCSE grades weren't exactly excellent. She got all A*/A except for something like one B and one C, and I'm sure there were hundreds of others who did better academically and could have got in, but apparently her interview must have went well. That's not to say anybody around here who wants to do medicine should slack off and think a C is fine but I'm just pointing out that her character seems to have won them over, even though she got a C.
    all A*/A except for 2 is pretty excellent by most people's standards.

ReputationRep:
    At oxford though applying for medicine, most applicants have all A/A*s because it's so competitive.

ReputationRep:
    It's also more competitive if you're 18. It's easier to get into uni when you're 20 or 19.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NSiky)
    all A*/A except for 2 is pretty excellent by most people's standards.
    Definitely! No way am I saying it's not...but if you want to get into medicine, your GCSE grades are important to most universities and they, especially Oxford, expect all A*/A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)
    It's also more competitive if you're 18. It's easier to get into uni when you're 20 or 19.
    Really? Why's that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    Really? Why's that?
    Probably because there are so many 18 year olds applying for universities after A levels.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so screwed for biology and English lit, was meant to get A* in both but now just praying for a B...tho hardly anyone at my school is looking at all A*s and As and 6th form only requires 5 C grades so not worried about next year. Part of the problem is the ridiculous amount of pressure put on high achievers to continue to surpass expectations and the subsequent hypocrisy of parents and teachers when we don't meet them. Nevermind, no point in worrying cos it's not gonna change anything....

ReputationRep:
    Probably because there are so many 18 year olds applying for universities after A levels.
    There has been a huge surge in numbers applying for Uni at 18 (especially a huge surge in the number of people who think they are good enough for the top universities, even if they are not), but not a huge surge in mature applications; and places for mature applicants have not changed much; giving them less competition.

ReputationRep:
    For that reason I might take a gap year because my birthday is in August so I can take a year out and when I go to universtity I'll still be around the same age as everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    especially Oxford, expect all A*/A.
    I know it's easy to think that but I was speaking to a St. Peter's tutor the other day and they really don't care that much about GCSE grades. As she said, some people develop later than others. Obviously they look at them, but it's AAA at A-Level they want, not 10 A*s at GCSE. I know of people who've got into Oxbridge with mediocre GCSE results.

ReputationRep:
    I keep thinking I'll never make my predicted grades, but then I just remembered I was only predicted BB in Business Studies, and got A*A*. GCSEs can't be that important in getting you into Uni. Of course, messing them up completely would be very bad, but looking through the acceptance threads for the different courses here, a lot of all A/A* people get rejected, with A/B/C people being admitted. Surely to get into University for the course you want, you just have to show aptitude; that you'll be successful on the course?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    I keep thinking I'll never make my predicted grades, but then I just remembered I was only predicted BB in Business Studies, and got A*A*. GCSEs can't be that important in getting you into Uni. Of course, messing them up completely would be very bad, but looking through the acceptance threads for the different courses here, a lot of all A/A* people get rejected, with A/B/C people being admitted. Surely to get into University for the course you want, you just have to show aptitude; that you'll be successful on the course?
    You've got to show that you've got something about you. Your personality. Thats why extra curricular, showing you're commited to something and volunteer work is important when applying to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Well, for my GCSE's im predicted like 12 A*'s or summink....BUT after taking these GCSE's...im going to be SOO thankful for getting an A* because i know how hard it is, and how much work i've put in....I wouldn't be bothered if i got all C's, as long as i passed all of it...i dont know, taking these exams has changed my mind about : "i must get all A*'s"

ReputationRep:
    yeh, and you forget how hard it is, especially when teachers are saying left right and centre, i'm predicting you A*, coz you think you can just lie down now, but our school dont give out A* pred, just A with A* challenges, it makes it better coz you know then that you got to work for it.

ReputationRep:
    yes i am. next question? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by braders89)
    yes i am. next question? lol
    lol i took me a second to figure what question you were answering, lol sorry

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted A in maths, and my teacher was thinking I might just manage an A*...
    ...After my performance in the exam on Tuesday, my current feeling is that I'll be lucky if I get away with a C. I completely failed it (and looking back realise how annoying stupid I was in the exam (brain freeze?)) and will just have to hope grades for previous modules and Wednesday's paper (oh please let it go well) will push me onto a pass.

Apart from that, I'm predicted/hoping for As and A*s in everything else, bar AS Human Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    I was predicted A in maths, and my teacher was thinking I might just manage an A*...
    ...After my performance in the exam on Tuesday, my current feeling is that I'll be lucky if I get away with a C. I completely failed it (and looking back realise how annoying stupid I was in the exam (brain freeze?)) and will just have to hope grades for previous modules and Wednesday's paper (oh please let it go well) will push me onto a pass.

Apart from that, I'm predicted/hoping for As and A*s in everything else, bar AS Human Biology.
    I know the feeling. I have got my as level law exam on wednesday and am predicted an A. I got an A in my mock with very little revision but at the moment am stuggling with my revision. The fact that i got an A in my mock has lead to a definate lack of motivation to work to get the A as it came so easily last time. Dont worry about your exmas. I thought i had failed most of my GCSEs and ended up with 2 A*s 5 As and 3 Bs so dont worry i bet you did fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    Often people are happily surprised after feeling they have done terribly in an exam but are given a better grade. Good luck
    i totally agree with u there. last year i did a unit of english language about writing a story about goin into a crowded room. of course as the v. imaginative person i am all i could think of was an exam hall. i wrote a lot of rubbish and realised after i did not fully answer q cos i only did one persons thoughts not too - i was convinced i got a u but when i got the results the teacher didn't have a go of me when i started swearin cos i got an A* (and i h8 english) so there u go, miracles do happen lol

good luck 2 every1 gettin their results. from what i've read on here u'll all be rly nervous but fine!

Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.