Turn on thread page Beta

Anybody else worried that they WON'T get their predictions? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    I know it's easy to think that but I was speaking to a St. Peter's tutor the other day and they really don't care that much about GCSE grades. As she said, some people develop later than others. Obviously they look at them, but it's AAA at A-Level they want, not 10 A*s at GCSE. I know of people who've got into Oxbridge with mediocre GCSE results.
    Aye, I know somebody myself who got into Oxford to do medicine with one C and two B grades at GCSE. I suppose her interview went really well and obviously she did excellent in her A Levels. But I just can't help thinking that Oxbridge only want A*/A at GCSE because from what I've read of people's profiles [who go to Oxbridge], they've all got A*/A from GCSEs. But anybody can lie on the internet so who knows? Thanks for that, it is quite reassuring to know. Don't know if that's what you were aiming to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    :confused: :confused: Perhaps because C-grades are crap?
    Oh you're really intelligent you are. *Sigh* Another one who thinks they are above everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "crap". I know that for most people at my school, they would be very disappointed with any C-grades because of the amount of effort and work the majority of people put in. I guess it depends on each person as an individual, but for me, I would think I had done crap and I would be very disappointed with myself and my performance if I got any C grades.
    Read the post above. I apologise for saying C-grades were crap. It was simply my own opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "crap". I know that for most people at my school, they would be very disappointed with any C-grades because of the amount of effort and work the majority of people put in. I guess it depends on each person as an individual, but for me, I would think I had done crap and I would be very disappointed with myself and my performance if I got any C grades.
    Read the post above. I apologise for saying C-grades were crap. It was simply my own opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I was told by my science teacher I wouldn't be able to become a doctor if I failed to achieve BB at science. Well, I heard of a college one of my mates is going to requires CC for further science... Instantly people think, ahh, thats the difference in standards, but not really, it could just mean science is in less demand at the college and therefore the college doesn't need to be as choosey... Anyway I agree with the above post that Universities will not be too concerned with GCSEs, allthough they are taken into consideration... Its worse though if you get 10 A*s at GCSE, and then get like BBB or CCC at A-Level, cos the universities will think your slackin etc etc...

ReputationRep:
    I was told by my science teacher I wouldn't be able to become a doctor if I failed to achieve BB at science. Well, I heard of a college one of my mates is going to requires CC for further science... Instantly people think, ahh, thats the difference in standards, but not really, it could just mean science is in less demand at the college and therefore the college doesn't need to be as choosey... Anyway I agree with the above post that Universities will not be too concerned with GCSEs, allthough they are taken into consideration... Its worse though if you get 10 A*s at GCSE, and then get like BBB or CCC at A-Level, cos the universities will think your slackin etc etc and not able to cope with work-load increase + work difficulty increase etc etc...

ReputationRep:
    I was told by my science teacher I wouldn't be able to become a doctor if I failed to achieve BB at science. Well, I heard of a college one of my mates is going to requires CC for further science... Instantly people think, ahh, thats the difference in standards, but not really, it could just mean science is in less demand at the college and therefore the college doesn't need to be as choosey... Anyway I agree with the above post that universities will not be too concerned with GCSEs, allthough they are taken into consideration... Its worse though if you get 10 A*s at GCSE, and then get like BBB or CCC at A-Level, cos the universities will think your slackin etc etc and not able to cope with work-load increase + work difficulty increase etc etc (even if they do only require CCC for admittence...

ReputationRep:
    Erk!! Sorry for the tripple post :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Corleone)
    I was told by my science teacher I wouldn't be able to become a doctor if I failed to achieve BB at science. Well, I heard of a college one of my mates is going to requires CC for further science... Instantly people think, ahh, thats the difference in standards, but not really, it could just mean science is in less demand at the college and therefore the college doesn't need to be as choosey... Anyway I agree with the above post that universities will not be too concerned with GCSEs, allthough they are taken into consideration... Its worse though if you get 10 A*s at GCSE, and then get like BBB or CCC at A-Level, cos the universities will think your slackin etc etc and not able to cope with work-load increase + work difficulty increase etc etc (even if they do only require CCC for admittence...
    Yep, exactly. That's why A levels are much more important than GCSEs. I imagine the only reason why GCSEs are important for getting into courses like medicine is just in-case there are too many AAA applicants, so they could possibly look to the GCSE grades. Though I still think that's a tad bit unfair, but they're just doing what's right by them I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    But whn they're looking at applications, they won't know the A level results because they won't have taken them yet..so initally they only have the GCSE's and AS's to look at.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... I know, but I still feel like a **** for not giving a **** about GCSEs, cos its good prep for A-Level... I mean all the people who are aiming for A*'s and As at GCSE, will obviously have put in the work and will be used to putting it on themselves to work, independant study at A-Level is obligatory tbh, so those students will already be able to cope with all that...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats true louise, but they can still give you a provisional acceptance on the account you can fulfil the teachers predictions of what you will get (which should be the requirements the uni ask of)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Corleone)
    Yeah... I know, but I still feel like a **** for not giving a **** about GCSEs, cos its good prep for A-Level... I mean all the people who are aiming for A*'s and As at GCSE, will obviously have put in the work and will be used to putting it on themselves to work, independant study at A-Level is obligatory tbh, so those students will already be able to cope with all that...
    Okay, so I gather you haven't worked your hardest the past two years, but at least you know now that you've got to work much harder for the next two years. Some people go into false pretence thinking they'll be fine the whole way through, despite not working at ALL and not getting the best grades they could get. Like it's been said, some people just develop later than others and will only realise this or that later.

ReputationRep:
    I am worried that i haven't got my predicted grades. I'd like to go to uni(should my parents be able to afford it), but i know I would have to work very, very hard in A-levels, which is oemthing i am prepared to do if I can do everything I want to do. I would like a good career one day, and I know I can.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thats true funkmonk, true enough, that I feel I need to work my ass off to get grades good enough... I'm considering Newcastle as I hear they have an imacculate reputation for science... However I think they require like 400 points or somethin, dunno but its high.

ReputationRep:
    Wilko don't worry m8, you'll do fine. And for A-levels, everyone thinks they will be mega hard - this is not true to a full extent, they will be hard if you don't keep on top of the work (that's the hardest thing, keeping on top of it all) the actual content of syllabusses at AS and A2 are at the level most people should be comfortable at by this stage... Chill m8.

ReputationRep:
    i'm worried. i'l think i'l do ok. But I have to be moderated in art and i think i've missed the day the moderated came in. What's worse is that my art teacher said that theres a chance you could fail ure gcses if u didnt c the moderation. (expect if u had a doctors note)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherunsaway)
    All I need is 3 Bs and 3Cs to get into sixth form, so I'm just enjoying the exams with little stress. Who cares if you get 10-11 A*s? They're only good for bragging about for a month, and most universtities and employers don't care about GCSEs.
    True.

ReputationRep:
    Its funny though, this is exactly the same as SATS... People were like, I've got level 7/8... Good for boasting about, but as soon as GCSEs came, ppl laughed at boastfulness of SATS results... I think as soon as A-Levels come on, people will not care about GCSEs, and thats why I believe GCSEs are of little importance to employers/universities, as they happened such a long time ago.

ReputationRep:
    If you've slacked in GCSEs, its understandable, and you're given a second chance, and this is why I can see so many posts saying that GCSEs are not important... However, if the same thing happens and you slack for A-Levels, they really are important and you don't get a second chance with them, employers/universities will not willingly accept you... And also its not really understandable why someone would slack A-Levels, if you're not prepared to get the grades, take a gap year / don't continue (maybe an academic future isn't the correct one to persue)

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.