The Student Room Group

Another failed LDR

Many of you will remember I had a long-distance relationship with a girl in Florida; 4000 miles away. Recently we had a problem (see a previous thread of mine) and I thought it was fixed, but lately it's gotten worse and I hardly see her at all. She hasn't made the effort, and I've given her chances, but :frown: I've just split up with her :frown: :bawling: I'm actually not that sad about it atm, but I'm sure I'll come to realise the effect. My longest relationship. At just over a year. And I never even met her or kissed her. So yet again I'm single; and feeling a little lonely; since quitting uni I don't have many friends of my own age. It was so right; she was going to come over, but it kept getting later and later. I can't wait that long; despite the potential. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

aww hun, sorry to hear it didn't work out *hugs*
Reply 2
My commiserations also to you. I too know the effects of the ending of a long-term "net" relationship, so I can empathise with you. The trouble is, I think, that internet relationships are too open to abuse... i.e. it's very easy to take advantage of other people's emotions. I'm NOT saying that's the case here as I'd like to think that most people aren't that way inclined. But there are those who "get their jollies" from lulling the unwary into a perceived relationship with the intent of destroying their emotions.
Good god. You 'went out with her' in what sense? You never even kissed the girl.

Some of you people really need to concentrate on those whom you can have personal contact with.
The internet ids destroying some peoples social skills....
Reply 4
Rome

Very fair point. The internet is a great ADJUNCT for meeting people, but can never replace the "personal touch". And as for "destroying social skills"......you need to be around MY way at chucking-out time on a saturday night - man, those social skills ARE destroyed....
Reply 5
i'm sorry to hear that you broke up, but at least you can find someone you can actually see and spend time with and kiss etc
Light-dependent reaction?! Poor plant :-(
Reply 7
Yeah, sorry, I don't class it a relationship if you've never met someone...
Reply 8
Rome
Good god. You 'went out with her' in what sense? You never even kissed the girl.

i think the fact the said person never even met the girl is worse.

oh dear what people class as 'relationships' these days...
Reply 9
what's all this about light dependent resistors, eh?
Reply 10
Sorry to hear that, but the best advice is to forget all about her and move on. She's probably consumed your life for the past year - and you haven't even met one another - try and get things back into perspective and find some tangible happiness. Good luck x
Lauren18
find some tangible happiness.

Now that is a challenge.
Reply 12
Da Bachtopus
Now that is a challenge.

Challenges are always good, beneficial, and worth the end result.
Even the Daz Doorstep Challenge?
Reply 14
Da Bachtopus
Even the Daz Doorstep Challenge?

Well, that's totally subjective. Generally, though, challenges are positive come the end result. Anyway, this is just slightly off the point.
Reply 15
Rome

Some of you people really need to concentrate on those whom you can have personal contact with.

I agree.
Reply 16
Hana_87
I agree.

Aww come on, give the guy a break. Whether or not you agree with internet relationships, he has just lost something that has been very important to him for a full year of his life. It isn't impossible to be close to someone you've never met you know, and I think it's a bit insensitive to tell him it was never a 'relationship' at all.

MrSornia, I hope you find someone more commited (and hopefully closer!) next time. :smile:
Reply 17
Was the LDR PTC or NTC? If the former they always have an especially narrow range so just forget about it. Don't you think it's a bit insane to consider yourself not single if you talk to a girl on the internet and have never met her?
You should see that these LDR devices don't work, you now have the opportunity to find a girl you can actually touch, and realise that thermistors shall we say are much better than an LDR, if an LDR was good in the first place :confused: Good luck.
Reply 18
**** someone beat me to the scientific bad joke. Damn. Internet relationships aren't really relationships, actually being face to face with someone acts as a buffer to what you say, so you won't want to offend someone too much or lead them on. When you're on the internet no such buffer exists and you'd become liable to become the prank of a 12 year old.
Reply 19
riccardo
**** someone beat me to the scientific bad joke. Damn. Internet relationships aren't really relationships, actually being face to face with someone acts as a buffer to what you say, so you won't want to offend someone too much or lead them on. When you're on the internet no such buffer exists and you'd become liable to become the prank of a 12 year old.

That's not always true though. There are phone calls and webcams - there are ways to be sure that you're talking to who you think you are.

Latest

Trending

Trending