Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me last years OCR grade boundaries for English Language - particularly A and A*?
    Cheers!

HEAD BOY

ReputationRep:
    It will probably be on here http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/do...ver=PRODUKTION

ReputationRep:
    Nope! It isn't on there! Bloody OCR never publish their examiner's reports on the internet! It's f***ing annoying!

HEAD BOY

ReputationRep:
    Well, on coursework its 70% for an A and 80% for an A* so I'd imagine it to be similar. Sorry I can't be any more help, it is annoying

ReputationRep:
    All you really need to know is that A* is always around 80-85% and A is slightly less at about 70%.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they are actually that high. I knkow this isn't the same but I asked my biology teacher what the grade boundaries were for biology (OCR) and he said 70-75% for an A*, so hopefully it's like that in other subjects too.

ReputationRep:
    A* is the top mark in "Band 2", which is the equivalent of 18/20 (20 is what everything is marked out of, and then the marks are scaled up to out of 30 for the exam questions), and so that's the equivalent of 27/30 or 90%. That's probably the highest (I think) they can place an A* mark, so from 85% - 90% is a good estimate of an A* for English language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    A* is the top mark in "Band 2", which is the equivalent of 18/20 (20 is what everything is marked out of, and then the marks are scaled up to out of 30 for the exam questions), and so that's the equivalent of 27/30 or 90%. That's probably the highest (I think) they can place an A* mark, so from 85% - 90% is a good estimate of an A* for English language.
    18/20 is A*? Damn! i got 17/20 for the mock paper 1, meaning i was 1 mark of an A*!

ReputationRep:
    I think the marks for English are pretty much fixed at around 90% because the government has to decide along with OCR.

And I know how you feel - I got 89% on my English mock. At least I wasn't at the bottom with 49% (erk - Our teacher publishes the results for the whole school to see, and it's only this one teacher... Oh well!).

ReputationRep:
    I think the marks for English are pretty much fixed at around 90% because the government has to decide along with OCR.

And I know how you feel - I got 89% on my English mock. At least I wasn't at the bottom with 49% (erk - Our teacher publishes the results for the whole school to see, and it's only this one teacher... Oh well!).
    I hate it when teachers read out your grades in front of the whole class, i dont complain when they read out the highest in the class being mine

ReputationRep:
    lol - I just feel really sorry or embarrased for those who have to put up with the stigma of being last

Then again, most deserve what they achieve in exams.

ReputationRep:
    i got 18/20 in a piece of coursework, and my teacher told me that was a high a...?

ReputationRep:
    Thegrades can fluctuate around that mar, but I was told that when I got 18/20 on my C/W, I achieved the bottom A* - Basically, 18 is the borderline mark.

Also, I think that (like in History), you can be shunted up a grade when not achieving the required marks for a question, but demonstrating that you have the knowledge (like I could get an A* in History if I got a top A grade mark, but demonstrated I had an A* understanding of the subject, I could get awarded an A*.). That could apply to coursework...

ReputationRep:
    Well in my Literature Poetry coursework I got 45/45 for one piece, which is obviously an A*, but for the other I didn't do that well, I think I got 36/45, or 38/45, which is around 80%, and I just scraped an A*. So if Lang and Lit ones are the same I reckon 80% is an A*.

ReputationRep:
    No - Literature is not a government requirement (or something like that) and is taken by comparatively fewer people, so the grade boundaries are lowered slightly.

They may be lowered even more this year because we're the first year to go into GCSE exams without annotated texts, and so the grade boundaries may reflect this.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was hoping that too. They bloody should be anyway - it must be piss to do well with an annotated book!

However, I thought more people took Literature? English Language at A-Level isn't all that respected as far as I hear? Isn't it much better to do Lit?

ReputationRep:
    Oh - If you want to be doing A-level, English Lit. is the only one worth doing - English Language is pretty pointless! It's just that at GCSE level, fewer people do it. That's not to say, however, that a small proportion do both, it's just a smaller proportion do English Lit. because it's not government regulation (It's not a "Key skill").

Yah - way more people do English Lit. A-level because

a) it's worth more
    and b) it's "more stimulating"

ReputationRep:
    If I've got 95% for coursework which is worth a fifth of the final mark, what kinda percentage would I need to get to get 80% overall? (I can't do maths!)

ReputationRep:
    Oh - If you want to be doing A-level, English Lit. is the only one worth doing - English Language is pretty pointless! It's just that at GCSE level, fewer people do it. That's not to say, however, that a small proportion do both, it's just a smaller proportion do English Lit. because it's not government regulation (It's not a "Key skill").

Yah - way more people do English Lit. A-level because

a) it's worth more
    and b) it's "more stimulating"
    English language just changes to media studies, non? And henryt old chum, correct me if i'm wrong but English language is compulsory at GCSE, so it's not a case of fewer people doing it because you have to. The really academically challenged people at my school don't do the literature, but do the language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    If I've got 95% for coursework which is worth a fifth of the final mark, what kinda percentage would I need to get to get 80% overall? (I can't do maths!)
    76% (I think!)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.