Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Do you believe that Muslims in Britain should thus respect that same universal rule of law, and do you thus condemn the significant majority of British Muslims who wish to see Sharia law courts in the UK?
    How much? In order to say that, I really think you need some sort of statistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    aayan - this is one of the type I warned you of - just ignore!
    Great attitude.
    At least I can put my comment down to logic and have an argument about it: Your belief is down to faith.

religion helps to give you easy answers in a world where there are no easy answers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowkin)
    How much? In order to say that, I really think you need some sort of statistic.
    More than 60%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiggaman7)
    i think you'll find that BY LAW that piece of paper makes me British whatever you think so **** ***

is it not traditionally british to worship god and go to church on sundays??.....is it not in the long standing history of Britain to be a christian....and weren;t aetheists looked upon as scum even a hundred years ago in Britain??? so how come they aren;t alien to British culture any more??

ian huntley used to take care of a primary school and make sure it was clean for children....doesn't mean im pro-him......
    i think you'll find that BY LAW that piece of paper makes me British whatever you think so **** ***
    by law yes, but im as British as you can get, far more than just a piece of paper.
    and weren;t aetheists looked upon as scum even a hundred years ago in Britain??? so how come they aren;t alien to British culture any more??
    The ideas are alien, if the person who belives them are British, they are not alien.

ReputationRep:
    More than 60%
    Where did this magical percentage come from? i.e. where did you find it and how was it obtained.

ReputationRep:
    Where did this magical percentage come from? i.e. where did you find it and how was it obtained.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/islam/stor...362591,00.html

Id also warn everyone that anti-Semitic comments made in private will be directly forwarded to the moderators.

ReputationRep:
    "...Some 61% wanted Islamic courts - operating on sharia principles - "so long as the penalties did not contravene British law"."

Whats wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/islam/stor...362591,00.html

Id also warn everyone that anti-Semitic comments made in private will be directly forwarded to the moderators.
    Why would anyone start making anti-semitic comments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    "...Some 61% wanted Islamic courts - operating on sharia principles - "so long as the penalties did not contravene British law"."

Whats wrong with that?
    Because sharia law does contravene British law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Because sharia law does contravene British law.
    Says he who is neither an expert on sharia law or British law.

ReputationRep:
    Says he who is neither an expert on sharia law or British law.
    O righ,t I really have to be an expert to realise they are different :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    O righ,t I really have to be an expert to realise they are different :rolleyes:
    Well do you know HOW, they would incorporate Sharia law, for starters?

ReputationRep:

Whats wrong with that?
    Because someone is being tried and prosecuted under a wholly seperate legal code and system. The rule of english law no longer applies for Muslims. This is a significant indication that Islamic law is considered above that of the state. That you are Muslim before you are British. We get a very first hand view of this conviction if we read the young Muslims that the Guardian interviews, one would assume to be moderate and intelligent.

"I wouldn't refer to my identity as a British Muslim identity. It might sound like a semantic difference - but to me, it's a Muslim community living in Britain. I would say that the community's identity is Islamic, whilst they are also British citizens."

"I don't identify with the term "British Muslim". It suggests allegiance to Britain and connection to the country's secular system of rule, which is based on capitalist ideals. How can Muslims feel part of this when the government is involved in sending British troops to Iraq resulting in the killing of Muslims?"

"Some Muslims, particularly second or third generation immigrants, are very integrated into British society. Their ways tend to be very British, with very little by way of cultural baggage. For example, I feel very British - but Muslim first, then British."

Is this a faith that is trying to assimilate or fit into British society?

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone start making anti-semitic comments?
    I dont know, which is why Im surprised to receive them.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know, which is why Im surprised to receive them.
    Didnt realise you were a jew, who is sending you these messages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    by law yes, but im as British as you can get, far more than just a piece of paper.
    What do you mean by this?
    (Original post by LC01)
    The ideas are alien, if the person who belives them are British, they are not alien.
    What? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I much prefer the Muslim religion to Christianism; to me the latter in general feels more like a cult!

ReputationRep:
    LCO1 - I just wanted to establish whether or not you felt it was okay for someone to practice their 'alien religion' whichever it may be, in the privacy of their own home, without inflicting it upon anyone else beyond the family circle.The reason i ask is becasue im trying to establish if you dislike all religion bar christianity or is it that you tie ones religion to nationality?

Furthermore, if that religion does not infringe on British law do you find it acceptable then. For example one of my best friends is a Hindu. His religion does not effect him in the least. He doesnt make an issue of it, he has totally adopted the british way of life and its customs (except for religion) does this make him non-british?

Personally i dont hate (all) Muslims at all. Whilst I dislike pologomy, terrorism and all the other things made stereotypical of Islam i believe that religion is pure and only tainted by how certain followers interpret religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thermoregulatio)
    What do you mean by this?

What? :confused:
    1.I mean by bloodline goes back in this country for thousends of years
    2.Its not hard to understand, a British person is not alien to Britain but his beliefs can be.

We had the Muslim Council of Britain leading protests against democracy in the UK and calling for the death of Tony Blair and George Bush. I didnt see anyone representing the so-called moderate Muslim community in this country, ,or on this forum, condemning it.
    And that's part of the problem. I've seen muslim clerics and muslim organization leaders interviewed on TV, and they will not publicly condemn the terrorists.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.