Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    People earn the amount of money they are prepared to work for. So if noone wanted to work as a nurse for £10 per hour (random figure) the hospitals would have to increase their wages to a point (eg £15) where people would be prepared to take the job.
    This is how a free market works, and ensure that everyone earns what they deserve.
    Free markets are idealised abstractions, they don't exist. They are something made up by economists that are useful in certain sitations to predict what will/should happen to improve things.

ReputationRep:
    Read the rest of the thread. Several alternatives were suggested.
    Do you plan to ignore most of my posts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    I'm pretty sure most executives couldn't retrain as a nurse because they wouldn't be able to cope with the long hours, stress and dedication needed.
    Business people don't know what long hours, stress and dedication is?????
    This does not prove your point but shows that someone like Bush, and there are many such examples, earn vast amounts of money becuase of their contacts and not becuase of their competence so should pay more tax, why does anyone need that much money anyway?
    Does a nurse have those contacts? Have you failed to realise that contacts may be a necessity for that job?
    Why does anyone need that much money, you ask? Why do you need your computer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by material breach)
    Free markets are idealised abstractions, they don't exist. They are something made up by economists that are useful in certain sitations to predict what will/should happen to improve things.
    What are you talking about? How is this at all relevant?

ReputationRep:
    People earn the amount of money they are prepared to work for. So if noone wanted to work as a nurse for £10 per hour (random figure) the hospitals would have to increase their wages to a point (eg £15) where people would be prepared to take the job.
    This is how a free market works, and ensure that everyone earns what they deserve.

Quote:
    Thats not true. I know I couldn't be a nurse, I've seem the work, both in content and time length and no matter how much you paid me I couldn't do it. Nursing is a vocation, thats why people do it despite rubbish wages, that might be how it is, doesn't mean its fair.

ReputationRep:
    Do you what standard of living nurse's get in this country?

Abused by drunk yobs, tasked with looking after people's lives, work long hours at difficult times, it takes years of training, promotions are few and far and between. Yet our society treats them like rubbish, they earn hardly anything and its hard to get on the property ladder. Yet our society desperately needs them, now market forces would tell you that if this is the case they should be paid more.... however they arent are they?
    Yes, if there is a lack of people willing to work as nurses, their pay should be raised. How is this relevant to taxes?
    It doesnt help humanity when we go and steal other 3rd world countries's nurses either.
    I dunno, it might encourage the 3rd world to raise nurses' pay as well.
    This is just a general rant as i think nurse's get so screwed over by everyone. The economist doesn't have anywhere near the same conditions of work, is hardly any more skilled and has a very nice life to go home to at 5 in the evening.
    If everyone could and wanted to become a highly paid economist, I'm sure they would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachaelmarie)
    Thats not true. I know I couldn't be a nurse, I've seem the work, both in content and time length and no matter how much you paid me I couldn't do it. Nursing is a vocation, thats why people do it despite rubbish wages, that might be how it is, doesn't mean its fair.
    Ok, so if they are prepared to work as nurses anyway, why should we pay them more?
    Stop talking about nurses! This is a tax conversation.

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about? How is this at all relevant?
    The UK isn't a free market, so dont talk about it as one. You are stating that nurses should recieve a fair wage in a free market yet a totally free market like you are talking about does not exisit in any developed nation in the world and hence your point is completley meaningless. It is like me saying I know how to solve the problem of wars, if everyone loved each other... its an idealisitic joke.

On top of that you have conplained about people spending your money for you but in the United Kingdom that right to voice complaint comes from that fact it is a democracy and part of that is that you accept at election time the party voted in and the legislation they pass. Hence you accept their right also to collect taxes and spend them as they see fit. If you dont like that, move to somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    No because nurses get a rough deal.

Ok, so if they are prepared to work as nurses anyway, why should we pay them more
    You even have to ask?

I'll make it a tax conversation then, no tax, how do we pay nurses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    This does not prove your point but shows that someone like Bush, and there are many such examples, earn vast amounts of money becuase of their contacts and not becuase of their competence so should pay more tax, why does anyone need that much money anyway?
    Because people won't have any incentive to work if you don't allow them to have as much money as they're capable of earning. What do you think will happen to the economy if everyone stops working the second they earn a certain amount of money?

(Original post by rachaelmarie)
    You even have to ask?

I'll make it a tax conversation then, no tax, how do we pay nurses?
    Nurses are paid significantly more in the US than they are in Britain and the government isn't the one paying.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so if they are prepared to work as nurses anyway, why should we pay them more?
    Stop talking about nurses! This is a tax conversation.
    Their wages are going to have to go up soon.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3968913.stm

ReputationRep:
    The UK isn't a free market, so dont talk about it as one. You are stating that nurses should recieve a fair wage in a free market yet a totally free market like you are talking about does not exisit in any developed nation in the world and hence your point is completley meaningless. It is like me saying I know how to solve the problem of wars, if everyone loved each other... its an idealisitic joke.
    The UK is to a large extent a free market when it comes to employment. This is why checkout assistants earn less than doctors.
    On top of that you have conplained about people spending your money for you but in the United Kingdom that right to voice complaint comes from that fact it is a democracy and part of that is that you accept at election time the party voted in and the legislation they pass. Hence you accept their right also to collect taxes and spend them as they see fit. If you dont like that, move to somewhere else.
    So, do you not allow me the right to express my view? As you said, this is a democracy, and I have a right to say if I don't like something the government does. Go join the authoritarian society!
    Where should I move to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Nurses are paid significantly more in the US than they are in Britain and the government isn't the one paying.
    You presume that the US health care system is of a quality equal to the British one, it is if you can afford health insurance. Not everyone can.

ReputationRep:
    The UK is to a large extent a free market when it comes to employment. This is why checkout assistants earn less than doctors.
    lol @ to a large extent
    So, do you not allow me the right to express my view? As you said, this is a democracy, and I have a right to say if I don't like something the government does. Go join the authoritarian society!
    Where should I move to?
    No, it means you points with regard to tax are pretty meaingless, you have a right to complain however you also have to accept taxes are part of a democratic system and that you have to pay them. Tell me of a delevop nation that does not sure income tax.

ReputationRep:
    You presume that the US health care system is of a quality equal to the British one, it is if you can afford health insurance. Not everyone can.
    The poor get healthcare for free, while most people with jobs get it through those jobs. As for quality, at least we don't have 6 month waiting lines. And considering that many of the top British and Canadian doctors are coming to the US due to higher wages, I think it's safe to assume that the quality of doctors in the US is much higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    The poor get healthcare for free, while most people with jobs get it through those jobs. As for quality, at least we don't have 6 month waiting lines. And considering that many of the top British and Canadian doctors are coming to the US due to higher wages, I think it's safe to assume that the quality of doctors in the US is much higher.
    there are many discussions on US health care on this site and I have been led to believe that it certainly not a cut and dried issue to as which is better, however as this thread is about a different issue I would prefer to leave it out.

ReputationRep:
    lol @ to a large extent
    Well it is... the exeptions are several government funded jobs like firefighters, who are overpaid.
    No, it means you points with regard to tax are pretty meaingless, you have a right to complain however you also have to accept taxes are part of a democratic system and that you have to pay them. Tell me of a delevop nation that does not sure income tax.
    I do accept them, and I will pay them when I stop being a lazy student.
    Exactly, there isn't a developed nation without taxes, so where should I move to? All I have is complaining.

ReputationRep:
    I do accept them, and I will pay them when I stop being a lazy student.
    Exactly, there isn't a developed nation without taxes, so where should I move to? All I have is complaining.
    My point is that there is a reason for them. Its is the only way the government can raise enough money in the more fair way possible.

ReputationRep:
    the exeptions are several government funded jobs like firefighters, who are overpaid.
    Because you'd run into a burning building for £20k wouldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    My point is that there is a reason for them. Its is the only way the government can raise enough money in the more fair way possible.
    It is not the only way. Read the whole thread.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.