The Student Room Group

Clear up a few things

So I'll be applying for Maths in October. I'll be applying to Oxford, Warwick, Manchester, Bristol and somewhere else I, I haven't decided.

I've been under the impression that for Oxford, I HAVE to take the AEA and that it's an exam based solely on C1 and C2 and for Warwick I have to take STEP which is considerably harder. But now I've found out that AEA is C1-4 instead. Which exam will I have to take for Oxford during the interview period, and will I have to take any exams previous to that (such as a maths equivalent to the LNAT or UKCAT)?

Which STEP exams do I have to take for Warwick? Can I leave out any and take the AEA instead? And where is a good place (or a good revision book) to start revising for these exams?
Reply 1
For Oxford you have to site the entrance exam, not the AEA.

For Warwick you can take the AEA rather than STEP
Reply 2
Yeh, just to clear up what SimonM said:

For Oxford, you have to sit a special Oxford entrance exam, that all applicants take (this year it's 4th November) and the knowledge you need for that is just Cores 1 and 2.
For Warwick, your offer will generally require you to sit either an AEA (based on C1-4) or any STEP paper, but you would be given a choice of either of them which you want to sit.
You should read around about the differences between STEP and AEA, but generally AEA is considered much easier - it's more like a super hard C4 exam I guess.
jakash
Yeh, just to clear up what SimonM said:

For Oxford, you have to sit a special Oxford entrance exam, that all applicants take (this year it's 4th November) and the knowledge you need for that is just Cores 1 and 2.
For Warwick, your offer will generally require you to sit either an AEA (based on C1-4) or any STEP paper, but you would be given a choice of either of them which you want to sit.
You should read around about the differences between STEP and AEA, but generally AEA is considered much easier - it's more like a super hard C4 exam I guess.

Excuse me for asking this question...
people always talk about c1 and c2...
what subjects do they cover... where can i find it...
Reply 4
shirotashine
Excuse me for asking this question...
people always talk about c1 and c2...
what subjects do they cover... where can i find it...

Don't worry shirotashine... C1 and C2 are the first 2 maths modules/exams as part of the A-level maths.
If you're not doing A-level maths and didn't do Core 1 or Core 2, you should have a look at the syllabuses for these exams, or even just any entrance exam you are going to sit. This is so you would know what you need to have for the exam. It would be best to ask your teacher about specific syllabuses depending on what exams you need to sit.

Latest