Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious about whether the boundaries across the boards are going to be higher or lower this year, apparently my teachers have being saying this years exams have been relatively easier, which may lead to it being more harder to get a higher grades due the boundaries being raised! However i've been walking out pondering if i've managed to get my target grades of A's!!!

ReputationRep:
    No idea, though on a lot of subjects, the boundaries stay pretty much the same for a few years or so. Our maths department told us the maths boundaries for AQA hardly change. However, our my English teacher did tell us that a lot of people got A/A* in last year's AQA English so she reckons the boundaries may be higher this year but who knows? I suggest you shouldn't think about it much, you can't do anything about the boundaries but you can do things to your knowledge and revision [or however you prefer to learn]. That's what I'd focus my energy on.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on particular subjects at the time. Personally i think the intermediate OCR maths should be lowered.

ReputationRep:
    If the grade boundaries are the same this year as they were last year for AQA Modular Maths, then nobody is going to be achieving the top grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickiM)
    If the grade boundaries are the same this year as they were last year for AQA Modular Maths, then nobody is going to be achieving the top grades!
    Didn't do modular, but Christ on a bike the higher linear [non-calc] was bloody hard.

ReputationRep:
    I am not the best of Maths, but even people in our group who can do Maths as easily as counting 1,2,3 found it hard. Although it wasn't the topics they asked (e.g volume, or graphs), it was the way they asked and what they asked you to do, which was just so ridiculous. I can't wait to see the very pessimistic examiners' report!

ReputationRep:
    listen u guys dont seem to understand how the grade boudary system works - say that so many people get high marks in exams, the top 15% or woteva it is will get an A* no matter wot - the boundaries r decided AFTER they mark to see wot people got

For example Edexcel maths - top 10% get A* so say the highest marks in the country were about 50% then the A* boundaries will b in the 40's so therefore it depends wot the whole country got - so u cud link that with the difficulty of the exam

Also more people get A*'s each year cos exam boards increase every year to show their board improved most so instead of top 10% get A*'s it might be top 10.2%

ReputationRep:
    With edexcel at least, it doesnt work that way. For higher maths (for example) the paper is A* to D (I think). Note, you cant actually get a D, as this would be <20% or so. It is assumed you wouldget hihger anyway.

Anyway, The boundaries stay at approximately 20% each - so 20% C, 40% B, 60% A and 80% A* - it is edexcel rules/policy/whatever to divide the paper equally. Trust me, my dad works there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hach)
    I'm just curious about whether the boundaries across the boards are going to be higher or lower this year, apparently my teachers have being saying this years exams have been relatively easier, which may lead to it being more harder to get a higher grades due the boundaries being raised! However i've been walking out pondering if i've managed to get my target grades of A's!!!

It has just come to me, your thread title reminds me of that game show hosted by bruce forsyth where they have oversized playing cards, and the audience go HIGHER or LOWER etc etc. Its not on anymore, it wasnt very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    It has just come to me, your thread title reminds me of that game show hosted by bruce forsyth where they have oversized playing cards, and the audience go HIGHER or LOWER etc etc. Its not on anymore, it wasnt very good.
    I remember that...play your cards right, wasn't it? I liked it, love Bruce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkymonk)
    I remember that...play your cards right, wasn't it? I liked it, love Bruce.
    lol yes play your cards right, remember it well.

ReputationRep:
    Play your cards right by that old guy who recently did strictly come dancing! Yeh i remember! He's a funny guy although the game show was pretty crap.

ReputationRep:
    isn't the whole point that if the tests are easier the grade boundires move accordingly and appropriately higher and if the tests are harder they move accordinly and appropriately lower?

As in, making sure that the same % of people (almost), achieve each grade.

(Rhetorical Question btw)

So no one should worry, they always make sure that the student gains a fair deal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    isn't the whole point that if the tests are easier the grade boundires move accordingly and appropriately higher and if the tests are harder they move accordinly and appropriately lower?

As in, making sure that the same % of people (almost), achieve each grade.

(Rhetorical Question btw)

So no one should worry, they always make sure that the student gains a fair deal!
    Makes sense to me, and yes is it like that. But in order to make that assumption they need to analyse the nations performance is those subjects.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.