Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Interviews this week, mine's on Wednesday. Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Interviews this week, mine's on Wednesday. Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck
    God speed to all students applying to all universities

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but not many interview there, so not much luck needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Regardless, their applications have as much validity don't they?
    But good luck anyway - it's somewhat of a lottery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    Is it the case that if you've applied to Oxbridge, it's odds on that you won't get in?

ReputationRep:
    Of course their applications are equally valid, but not equally traumatic

ReputationRep:
    Odds aren't that bad for getting into Oxbridge in fact, it's much worse at Nottingham or LSE for example.

I'm applying to Emmanuel College to read Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Odds aren't that bad for getting into Oxbridge in fact, it's much worse at Nottingham or LSE for example.

Me too.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were reading Natsci?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    I thought you were reading Natsci?

Yes, I mean I'm applying to the same college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Of course their applications are equally valid, but not equally traumatic
    That's extremely unfair! Every individual's UCAS experience is traumatic.
    Some can cope very well with the anticipation of an Oxbridge interview and enjoy the experience - others not applying to Oxbridge, but nevertheless anticipating offer/rejection can be exceedingly traumatised.
    It's very much down to personality.
    I am concerned that so many students applying to Oxbridge will be devastated when they do not receive an offer because they think Oxbridge is the 'ultimate'. It's not!

ReputationRep:
    Obviously there are deviations, but as a rule of thumb surely we should say ucas+interview+anticipation is more traumatic than ucas+anticipation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)

Formerly (before the big increase in numbers applying to Oxbridge now) the ratio of applicants to places was as significant as any university with say 11 or 12 applicants per place - this is because Oxbridge used to be self-selecting inasmuch as applicants usually represented top 2% academically. That is not the case now - most schools, with encouragement from Oxbridge, are encouraging their students to apply (and they are not usually from the top 2% of the population, more the top 15%). Bear in mind that Oxbridge have not increased their capacity so are still selecting top 2%.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.