The Student Room Group

Graffiti Dissertation Help!!!

Hi everyone, i'm a second year geography student at Bristol Uni and i'm currently researching for my dissertation!! I've chosen to do a study on toilet graffiti and graffiti written in private spaces like library carrels. I have one major problem though - no graffiti!!

Has anyone seen graffiti in their university libraries, department toilets etc. If so, can you let me know the details so I can hopefully come and copy it down and learn insightful things...

kind regards

Sarah (aka graffitichic)
graffitichic20
Hi everyone, i'm a second year geography student at Bristol Uni and i'm currently researching for my dissertation!! I've chosen to do a study on toilet graffiti and graffiti written in private spaces like library carrels. I have one major problem though - no graffiti!!

Has anyone seen graffiti in their university libraries, department toilets etc. If so, can you let me know the details so I can hopefully come and copy it down and learn insightful things...

kind regards

Sarah (aka graffitichic)

I've seen loads of graffiti in the library here, and in lecture theatres etc.! I haven't seen any in the toilets though
graffitichic20

kind regards

Sarah (aka graffitichic)

The desks in Edinburgh University Library have lots of Scotland vs. England graffiti.
Reply 3
magicalsausage
The desks in Edinburgh University Library have lots of Scotland vs. England graffiti.

Thanks thats very helpful - an interesting geographical dimension too! my dissertation advisers will like that :wink:
HistoryStudent
I've seen loads of graffiti in the library here, and in lecture theatres etc.! I haven't seen any in the toilets though

I can get you Wales v England if you want
Reply 5
HistoryStudent
I can get you Wales v England if you want

Yeah? are you at Swansea uni? can you let me know the name of the library and where to find it so i can arrange with them to come and copy it down.

Also, is there a lot of graffiti and do you think it is quite revealing about the student pop and some of the tensions in the uni?

Sarah

p.s. thanks for your post, this really does help no end.
Reply 6
When I was at an open day at Durham, they seemed to have a lot of grafitti relating to college rivalries and rahs.
Does it have to be from libraries? I can get you some from the library at Lancaster, particularly from the toilets (unless they've cleaned the walls again - the buggers!), but I've seen some quite amusing graffiti elsewhere, like in the Music department.
Reply 8
Have a look in the various toilets in the HUMSS building at Reading University (female - I don't know about the male ones!) - unless it's been scrubbed off, there's some pretty amusing graffiti there. In the one in the main corridor of the History Department, someone seems to have rather a penchant for copying out poetry, but there's some more commonplace graffiti there too... :smile:
Reply 9
Is that the main lanc Library? i have a friend up there so it would be easy for me to visit. It doesnt have to be libraries but can be departments and public toilets, too.

thanks for the info
Sarah
Yeah it's the main Lancaster uni library. If you visit the Music department then the graffiti I was referring to isn't in the toilets, but in the largest practice room. What sort of graffiti are you looking for?
Basically, anything of the type that is writing rather than tags, murals etc. I plan to do a discourse analysis of the graffiti, focusing on themes such as gender, group identity and age.

I was hoping to get graffiti produced in public spaces (i.e. public libraries, public toilets etc) and compare with different types of private spaces such as businesses, uni libraries, school libraries, clubs, bus stations etc

The good thing about toilets is that they are gender segregated - tho i need other spaces too for comparison.

With regard to unis it seems that the state/public school tensions will be interesting to focus on and tensions between students of different nationalities (i.e. the welsh/scottish/english tensions) or ethnicities??

At this stage im not ruling anything out!

Thanks for your help :smile:
Most amazing graffiti I've seen is in the choir stalls of Manchester Cathedral where some of the kids from 17?? have carved their names. To the credit of the cathedral they've not removed it. There's also no restiction on getting really close and photographing them.
ancientone
Most amazing graffiti I've seen is in the choir stalls of Manchester Cathedral where some of the kids from 17?? have carved their names. To the credit of the cathedral they've not removed it. There's also no restiction on getting really close and photographing them.

Sussex Uni library has some bizarre graffiti on the study cubicles and toilets. You`d never know we were a liberal uni from a lot of it, it`s quite bigoted :mad: I recommed checking it out

There was some mad drunken graffiti written on the walls of various lecture halls by one flat, but it`s been rmeoved now and I can`t remember much of it.

Chichester Lecture Theatre (big round one) has some good stuff as well. Including some bizarre graffiti game.
Reply 14
University of Essex toilets and also library lifts have some grafitti ...also in the lecture theatres on the desks etc

Latest

Trending

Trending