Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know there's another thread similar to this but I thought I'd start my own anyway.

I'm 16 this summer and I'm just doing my GCSEs. The other day in a restaurant the waitress asked if I wanted a kids menu (cartoons...colouring in and so on). This is always happening and my mum got so annoyed she said to the girl 'She left school last week for goodness sake!'.

Does anyone else have the same thing happening to them? I realise I'm not a proper adult until I'm 18, but really, would I want to do some colouring in (with crayons!! ooh!!) while I waited for my chicken nuggets and chips meal?

It annoys me so much! I can't possibly look that young, can I? I'm not short or anything...!

MissSurfer

PS Oh yeah, and it really annoyed me once in Pizza hut a couple of years ago when I got a kids menu and my friend got an adult one (and we're exactly the same age!)

ReputationRep:
    My mum irritated me today, I got my citizencard through for Glastonbury and my mum looked at it and said 'you look about 7 but with make-up on.' Cheers...I'm nearly 17...

ReputationRep:
    sometimes i looke 18 sometimes i look 12.....depends on day to day :9

ReputationRep:
    Aww I miss the colouring in :p:

But yes I can see how it could get so annoying, I'm always thought of as the other way round, much older than I am - people at my work thought I was 21/22 :eek: I'm 18 lol.

ReputationRep:
    just think of it as a blessing when your 30 and still look like your in your twenties!

ReputationRep:
    just hope that you can start managing to look like 18, but its really all about confidence, just act older than you are and a lot of people will believe you

ReputationRep:
    I've always looked older/acted older than I actually am. On a plane a woman thought i was 25-ish (her age - she stopped flirting so much when i said i was only 16 :P) and many people at work and when im out n stuff think im somewhere in the twentys. This is a good thing but its also a bit annoying as when i muck around people expect me to act more civilised and more adult-like :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelbycakes)
    just think of it as a blessing when your 30 and still look like your in your twenties!
    Although thats good advice, thats not the type of comment she wants to hear!

My advice is don't worry. It can be pretty depressing sometimes as it was for all of us who just didn't look the age and couldn't get into clubs without having formal ID. I got the hump about more than anyone, but it died off when I was 19! I'm now 23 so it's all good. Just let things flow, take the shi.t thats thrown at you and come out looking really beautiful when your 23. Look back and laugh. Thats how I looked at it! and it helps me laugh now.

ReputationRep:
    I have had similar experiences...luckily I don't each much so I will accept the kids menu and they don't get fussy when they realise I'm an adult and want me to pay adult prices for a bigger portion I won't eat anyway.

It can get annoying but it is nice to look younger sometimes...you will age slower and there are a lot more years in which you will be worrying about aging than years when you want to look older.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkPigeon)
    My mum irritated me today, I got my citizencard through for Glastonbury and my mum looked at it and said 'you look about 7 but with make-up on.' Cheers...I'm nearly 17...
    your mum's nice.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm....i suppose it can be good sometimes - when I was 13 they automatically charged me the half-price kids price in the hairdressers (for kids aged 11 and under) so that was quite good

ReputationRep:
    post a pic of yourself in the picture thread in the about forum and we'll see how young you look

ReputationRep:
    People guess my age as between 17 and 22.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    I know there's another thread similar to this but I thought I'd start my own anyway.

I'm 16 this summer and I'm just doing my GCSEs. The other day in a restaurant the waitress asked if I wanted a kids menu (cartoons...colouring in and so on). This is always happening and my mum got so annoyed she said to the girl 'She left school last week for goodness sake!'.

Does anyone else have the same thing happening to them? I realise I'm not a proper adult until I'm 18, but really, would I want to do some colouring in (with crayons!! ooh!!) while I waited for my chicken nuggets and chips meal?

It annoys me so much! I can't possibly look that young, can I? I'm not short or anything...!

MissSurfer

PS Oh yeah, and it really annoyed me once in Pizza hut a couple of years ago when I got a kids menu and my friend got an adult one (and we're exactly the same age!)
    well do you wear silly childish clothes at all? what about your hair? that might need chageing, my hair was really long and nast and when i got i vut i looked ALOT older. and makeup dont over do it or you'll look like a n idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by co co)
    well do you wear silly childish clothes at all? what about your hair? that might need chageing, my hair was really long and nast and when i got i vut i looked ALOT older. and makeup dont over do it or you'll look like a n idiot
    nothing wrong with long hair - I like long hair on a girl within reason. Has to be at least shoulder length :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I miss the colouring-in!

It can be good for getting onto buses / trains etc. cheaper for longer, my sister was 15 for about three years so she could get cheaper tickets for theme parks, hotels etc.

The best thing is probably just not to worry about it, I'm sure you look fine as you are.

ReputationRep:
    i have the same problem! am 17 and still get charged for a child fare on the bus... although it is cheaper, i don't appreciate being estimated to be 12 years old!!! its so frustratin.. i still get asked for ID even to go into the cinema and i won't even dare trying to get into a club!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    This is always happening and my mum got so annoyed she said to the girl 'She left school last week for goodness sake!'.
    You have to be careful with phrases like this though...it can be interpretted many ways! for instance:

A) "My 5 year old has just left school last week - do you not think she is a bit thick in the head for a colouring in task? Yeah."

B) She's 16 you pleb.

Motherless Child

ReputationRep:
    Oddly enough, a lot has to do with hair for me.
    With blonde hair, i pay child's fare, etc.
    But with dark hair, people assume i'm a lot older....hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    well...this happened a week after i got a restyle haircut at Toni and Guy (and no...I don't suddenly look younger because of that because this kinda thing has always happened to me) but hmmm...strange...

maybe ill post a pic of myself...but i'll think about it first coz i don't know if i want just anyone knowing what i look like...and also whether i have any pics of myself of the pc!

lastly...my clothes...sometimes i wear old, manky clothes but only when im having a 'can't be bothered day' - and this wasn't one of them! i usually get clothes from places like 'Elle' and 'Pineapple' and sometimes 'Next'...so I don't think i generally have a bad fashion sense!

MissSurfer

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.