The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Therefore; it can be said; summing up; when all is considered; in total; furthermore
Reply 2
To summarise...
To sum up...
Taking this into account...
Considering all this...
In summary...
To conclude...

most of those are the same :s-smilie:
In a nutshell
Ergo
Reply 5
Depends what level you're doing but I've been taught and read that the most sophisticated writers do not use things like "in conclusion" and "in this essay I am going to write".. you'll get better marks if you learn the art of getting across your point without stating the obvious.

:smile:
Original post by NapoleonDynamite

Original post by NapoleonDynamite
Ergo

Why?
Reply 7
In summation...
TL;DR? "Summarise what you wrote"
Reply 9
overall
ultimately
All in all
Reply 10
For my conclusions, I always write either to conclude, ultimately, finally or in essence. For some reason I don't really like ending with in conclusion.
I like “as the research has shown”
You may say "to conclude, finally, all in all, bringing up rear, to sum up, to put it all together, at the end, after all" etc.
Try also looking some synonyms up at the SupremeEssays samples of work, there are some of them really worth attention. But honestly, you may be creative in your expressions.
Reply 13
"In consolidation"
So much is at stake in writing a conclusion. This is, after all, your last chance to persuade your readers to your point of view, to impress yourself upon them as a writer and thinker. And the impression you create in your conclusion will shape the impression that stays with your readers after they've finished the essay.
The end of an essay should therefore convey a sense of completeness and closure as well as a sense of the lingering possibilities of the topic, its larger meaning, its implications: the final paragraph should close the discussion without closing it off.

Conclude by linking the last paragraph to the first, perhaps by reiterating a word or phrase you used at the beginning.

Conclude with a sentence composed mainly of one-syllable words. Simple language can help create an effect of understated drama.

Conclude with a sentence that's compound or parallel in structure; such sentences can establish a sense of balance or order that may feel just right at the end of a complex discussion.

Consider the “So what?” question. A helpful way to generate your conclusion can be to imagine that your reader has just asked you “So what?” about your argument. Why does what you’ve written matter? What can you say in your conclusion to help convince your readers that they should care about your ideas and argument? Asking yourself the “so what?” question, as you write your essay, can also help you dig below the surface of your ideas.

Look for any themes you introduced in the first paragraph. You can get a nice sense of closure by returning to the theme you opened with.[3] See if you can take that theme a step further when you bring it back in the conclusion.

For example, if you began your essay with the idea of humanity’s sense of smallness in the face of space’s vast expanses, you could return to that idea in the conclusion. However, you might expand this theme to include the idea that as human knowledge grows, space is actually becoming smaller.
this is correct..
Would this be too colloquial in an essay? I like it but I don't know if I would be docked points for informality.
Would this be too colloquial for an essay? I like it but I'm not sure if I would be docked points for informality.
Reply 18
Finally, In my opinion
Lastly
In ending this
Thus the average suggests
In comparison to this I believe
To summarise the above
In concluding this
To briefly paraphrase (more for paragraph endings)
To put it bluntly
For a gentle ending I suggest
Research thus shows that
The research papers in the main
Briefly to conclude
In my opinion I feel ............. conversely the other side of argument .....

I suggest you do a Google search for discourse markers. Colloquialism is more to do with location and accent, as long as you keep the writing in a formal style it should be OK.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by danni_bella

What are some other ways you could write In Conclusion?

Do not use any such phrase. It will be obvious that you are concluding and to telling your audience so baldly is patronising and insulting it. It also wastes space.

Latest