Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    brill notes, thanx!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain to me what the whole kingdom, phylus etc is about? i never understand what I'm actually supposed to use them for!
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahsum)
    Can anyone explain to me what the whole kingdom, phylus etc is about? i never understand what I'm actually supposed to use them for!
    thanks!
    Its just to group species in a biological way. I doubt there'll be a huge Q on it though. Usually a small question like 'fill in the blanks' on the KPCOFGS. Well that was a past paper question.

ReputationRep:
    Since unit 5 is tuesday i thought i'd bump this back up to the top!!

ReputationRep:
    Whats the UMS distribution for A2? 100 for each unit again?

ReputationRep:
    100 for each unit

ReputationRep:
    Is it unit 5 or 6 where they add your mark to either the coursework or W2 exam to get the total of 100?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synkronized)
    Is it unit 5 or 6 where they add your mark to either the coursework or W2 exam to get the total of 100?
    unit 6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohlstream)
    unit 6
    Ah, thankyou
    I've got my head around unit 5 this week (after screaming a bit), and unit four looks good still from january, but its units 2 and 3 that are worrying me. There's just so much, and they have such a range of questions they can ask for these two papers. I was up till 4am this morning revising and worrying! :rolleyes:

Ah well, lets hope they ask exactly what we all know. Pretty awesome notes at the beginning of this thread btw!

Best of luck everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    same here!

i sort of remember unit 4 stuff from jan but they can ask questons on any unit and it takes ages learning 1,2 and 3 again as well as knowing all of the unit 5 stuff.
    why do they do this? we already have a synoptic paper.
    i dont get why its necessary to have two, thats edexcel for you!

ReputationRep:
    There's a preordained amount of the course that has to be synoptic. In languages etc they cover it easily because all the listening/reading/writing exams count as synoptics
    But i think it might be 10 or 20% that has to be synoptic
    And since Unit 6 is only worth 1/6
    And the synoptic paper is only worth 1/12
    That doesn't cover it
    So they HAVE to extend it to unit 5 as well

ReputationRep:
    I still think it's far too much to relearn all over again... chemistry seems to be a little easier because the synoptic element is essentially just building upon everything you've learnt and had to keep using the last 2 years...
    I just hope a lot of unit 5 stuff comes up synoptically. I've got 5 exams this week to worry about, not just this damn bio!!

Again, best of luck to you all

ReputationRep:
    synkronized... what did u study from unit 3 for unit 5?!?! can u tell me wt did u study from units 1 to 3?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    plasticity means the softning of the cell wall, because it becomes less turgid. ( since its gone bigger ) thus taking up more water and dude to the orientaion of the cell wall the cell grows in a longitudinal way.

ReputationRep:
    Heavy notes mate! ....they shouldn't have a synoptic section in unit 5 we have unit 6 for that...i also think its stupid...well lets hope they make it easy so that we can write crap and still get marks.

ReputationRep:
    Glad everyone finds the notes helpful!
    Ahh the stress of Unit 5!!!! I'm finding Unit 4 ok, as I remember the core stuff from january - except I did option C in Jan and now I'm doing A (very confusing!). Havn't had the chance to relearn Units 1 and 3 (2 is ok) but tuesday will not be a pleasant day.

ReputationRep:
    i am doomed on biology, theres just too much, i dont think anyone could ever say that getting an A in sociology is equal to an A in a science subject, theres so much more detail to learn. Im so glad Im not relying on bio for uni or anything, although i would like to get a C. I dont think its guna happen tho!

ReputationRep:
    I managed to do the whole of unit 4 yesterday (not the food science option yet though :s: ), and today I've got to do the whole of unit 5. Then on Monday I'll have to do the whole of the AS work, but I know quite a bit of that anyway, so it shouldn't be too bad. Then as soon as it's over I get to face the Geography synoptic. Oh joy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ossoss87)
    synkronized... what did u study from unit 3 for unit 5?!?! can u tell me wt did u study from units 1 to 3?

thanks
    Alrighty, so far from unit 3 I've studied biotic/abiotic factors, population/biomass pyramids, carbon cycle, looked at the nitrogen cycle... anything to do with grazing of sheep (and their adaptations to chew grass, thrilling stuff...), and the different types of nutrition (mutualism, parasitism etc) Gonna have to go over all that again tomorrow after my history synoptic though. It didn't go in very well... and thats probably loads I left out

Units one and two, basically just everything we did in AS (but not really as detailed, im very short on time!) You know, molecules, cell cycle, exchanges with the environment...

Looking through some old unit 5/6 papers, I noticed there *has* been rather a lot of emphasis on unit 3 work combining with the biodiversity parts of unit 5. So tomorrow, ill hopefully blitz the whole thing!!

Good luck revising, we all need it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahsum)
    i am doomed on biology, theres just too much, i dont think anyone could ever say that getting an A in sociology is equal to an A in a science subject, theres so much more detail to learn. Im so glad Im not relying on bio for uni or anything, although i would like to get a C. I dont think its guna happen tho!
    I'd be happy with a B... so would my uni choice lol. I'm not doing bio at uni but I need the points a lot! I don't know if its harder then other subjects, but its definetly tough...

Try and have some confidence

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 9, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.