Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ez_123)
    Pasteurisation- short term
    Milk is flash pasteurised by heating it to 72°C for about 15 seconds. Most of the bacteria present are killed, including the pathogens. However some bacteria such as lactobacilli survive and can cause spoilage eventually. Bacterial spores also survive pasteurisation. Doesnt alter the flavour

Sterilisation- Long term
    Milk is sterilised by heating it to 105°C for 15 seconds. This process kills all the microbes. This alters the flavour, nutrients are lost.

Hope that answers it!
    My notes say that sterilisation involves homogenisation of the milk and heating to 43degrees :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    My notes say that sterilisation involves homogenisation of the milk and heating to 43degrees :s:
    *offtopic* don't know if you saw, it may be a bit late now, but I did translation and transcription for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohlstream)
    *offtopic* don't know if you saw, it may be a bit late now, but I did translation and transcription for you
    I did see. Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    I did see. Thanks very much
    cool, and best of luck tomorrow, it'll be fine!!

ReputationRep:
    lol Maybe I'm wrong. But the main thing you say is that sterilisation kills ALL the microbes. Pasteurisation kills the pathogenic ones, but not spores. It doesnt kill the lactobacillus, so there's room for spoilage to occur.

If your thinking why not just use Sterilisation (you're probably not thinking that, but i'll blab on anyway), its because in sterilisation causes a caramalised taste, loss of nutrients & loss of full cream or some crap like that.

ReputationRep:
    wow ramaya ur gr8 !! i've been looking 4 notes all over and atlast here it is. hey so by any chance do u have notes 4 edexcel bio unit 4 (i no its asking 2 much but c i've 2 self study unit 4 and 5 ,stupid teachers they refused 2 teach!)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 9, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.