Turn on thread page Beta

I'm turning into a big fat heffer! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riccardo)
    old wives tale. Q=mcdeltaT and c happens to be 4.2 kJ/g/K. I worked this out and it means you have to drink like an elephant to use as much energy as, say, 30 press ups.
    I did say lots .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riccardo)
    old wives tale. Q=mcdeltaT and c happens to be 4.2 kJ/g/K. I worked this out and it means you have to drink like an elephant to use as much energy as, say, 30 press ups.
    say one ice cube is at -5*C, body temperature is 40*C, and weighs 15g, which is 0.83 moles of ice. c does not happen to be 4.2 KJ/gK but 4.2 J/gK,
    molar heat of fusion is 6000 J/mol, and "1 Joule = 0.0002388 calories",

delta E = 15*45*4.2 + 6000*0.83 = 7815 J = 1.87 calories per ice cube

bahahaha. that's less than it takes to walk up a flight of stairs.

ReputationRep:
    Look at it this way (i do)
    If you weigh a bit more... that doesn't make you fat... it makes you cuddly
    I get sad that i am fat But then i remember the lads like to cuddle me better than their girlfriends
    And i think to myself... I would rather be cuddled than know that they're jacking off over me...

ReputationRep:
    mik1w - check your book of data

ReputationRep:
    **** - I just did that myself, right on...

ReputationRep:
    why not walk up a flight of stairs, then drink it.

noones saying drink water with ice in it instead of exercise...but its an additional thing that can help. Also, its something that can be done whilst revising, where as exersise cant!

love Katy***

ReputationRep:
    drinking the water is definately a good idea, it can raise your metabolism. One study into it showed that over time this led to the body burning more than 100 calories more, thats a pretty decent bonus for simply being hydrated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it must be difficult to lose a lot of weight given that you're already so light! Out of interest, how much did your ball dress cost????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichardAnderson)
    shall i direct u to 1 of those pro anerexia cults?
    was that directed at me? *hits you*

ReputationRep:
    for anyone who's still unsure about drinking cold water etc, the extra energy you burn is minimal. it's about as useful as sitting naked in the snow, except without the frostbite.

ReputationRep:
    Get running Loz. I agree with the soup thing Bex said, it feels like you've eaten when you've actually had practically nothing.

And water, lots of it.

gl!

A.

ReputationRep:
    Lozza, in case you didn't do high school, hitting boys is encouragement.

Anyway, the main thing. Weight. Don't try quick fixes. It's like guys wanting to tone up and become more muscley. Just slightly alter your lifestyle, little bits of your routine each day. A little example, but illustrates nicely: for four years after GCSEs I didn't do much serious sporting activity, yet my abs toned themselves rather nicely cos of effective singing (hobby kinda thing). Simple :-)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Lozza's point is the one I was making, I just misquoted the specific heat capacity of water to make it seem 1000 times better. My point was that it doesn't do anything, there's absolutely no point in gasping every time you swallow. ickle_katy: seriously, it won't help. For metabolic purposes drink lots of water at tap temperature.

ReputationRep:
    not hitting them the way i do...

i'm doing about heat capacities and the gibbs-helmholtz now actually!

i'll try soup. although college soup is slightly more viscous than i would like.

ReputationRep:
    I advise you to run in the morning while glycogen is low. You'll burn off lots of fat and lose some muscle too, which may help you in terms of fitting into a dress. Thank god we wear suits.

ReputationRep:
    Not all soup is good! Make your own using vegetables and stock or buy it and read the calories on the back, but make sure you know what's in it. Restaurant's soup often has lots of calories and nothing very nutritious, I imagine canteen soup would as well because it has a lot of fat and sugar.

Little changes in your day make a difference as well. When you're standing around with nothing to do have a glass of water, when you're watching tv move your feet around and fidget. As you want to lose the weight in such a short space of time you do need to do the exercise and watch what you eat, but lots of little things like that do make a difference and help in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    Sammy, you legend! I simply couldn't find the word:

fidget!

ReputationRep:
    Fidgeting so doesn't help, I do it all the time (shaking my leg up and down whilse sitting) including all the way through 3 hour exams. What's more funny is the person next to me was also doing it too and he had the person behind him after one of the exams ask him if he could stop :p:

Apparently I'm now also known for cracking my fingers every 5 minutes, cause I was at the front and apparently annoying everyone with it :rolleyes:

I recommend Tomato soup if you can't be bothered to make your own, I lived off that stuff in my second year!

A.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it's worth conciously fidgeting. There really are no short cuts, you have to exercise or fork out for liposuction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Fidgeting so doesn't help, I do it all the time (shaking my leg up and down whilse sitting) including all the way through 3 hour exams. What's more funny is the person next to me was also doing it too and he had the person behind him after one of the exams ask him if he could stop :p:

Apparently I'm now also known for cracking my fingers every 5 minutes, cause I was at the front and apparently annoying everyone with it :rolleyes:

I recommend Tomato soup if you can't be bothered to make your own, I lived off that stuff in my second year!

A.
    ooh novel ways to make everyone else fail. i click my tongue ring against my teeth.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.