Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what kind of arguments people use against gay marriage and why everyone has such a big problem with it(maybe its because i live in the US and live in the south and europeans dont really care). I cant really think of any RATIONAL (not religious bull crap) against gay marriage.

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of any.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe there is any. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Some say it is bad because a marriage is supposed to be between a man and a woman. I don't agree with that really. I'm not gay, but if gays wanna get married, fair play to them.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps an argument is that gays are more likely to break up (dont have children to keep them together) thus its bad for them as they would lose half their personal wealth. Complete nonsence of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    Perhaps an argument is that gays are more likely to break up (dont have children to keep them together) thus its bad for them as they would lose half their personal wealth. Complete nonsence of course.
    there are many arguements like that, but most (if not all) boil down to false assumptions and/or forgetting how unstable a heterosexual family can be too...

ReputationRep:
    oh.

my.

god.

another one... :/

ReputationRep:
    they could adopt...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekillersrock)
    oh.

my.

god.

another one... :/
    :hmpf: it's like a bad penny... you eventually loose it off the bottom of the thread list, an another just re-appears like magik :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
    they could adopt...
    Please... don't start this one again. There are already not one but two active threads on the subject of gay adoption, I don't think I can take any more. :p:

ReputationRep:
    As a homosexual, I am against gay marriage.

I'm not against civil unions or whatever they wish to call them that allow an equal footing in economics terms for homosexuals but marriage is explicitly a religious.

I also think atheists/agnostics shouldn't be allowed to marry. They too should have civil unions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steerz)
    As a homosexual, I am against gay marriage.

I'm not against civil unions or whatever they wish to call them that allow an equal footing in economics terms for homosexuals but marriage is explicitly a religious.

I also think atheists/agnostics shouldn't be allowed to marry. They too should have civil unions.
    but in a world where everyone should be treate equally, an atheists CAN marry, should gay marriage not be allowed as a consequence.

and that's assuming that the gay couple isn't religious.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Homosexual)
    ...but in a world where everyone should be treate equally...
    This isn't a world where everyone should be treated equally - it's a real world, where most people recognise that justice requires unequal treatment of unequal people.

Having said that I can't think of a reasonable objection to 'civil unions', and have never heard anyone come close to offering one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    This isn't a world where everyone should be treated equally - it's a real world, where most people recognise that justice requires unequal treatment of unequal people.

Having said that I can't think of a reasonable objection to 'civil unions', and have never heard anyone come close to offering one.
    i think civil unions are dehumanizing in many ways to homosexual couples. this type of otherization shows intolerance in many ways. if straight couples are tolerant, they shouldnt object to giving homosexuals equal status even if homosexuals get the same rights under a civil union. this problem occured before when the US implemented "separate but equal facilities" for african americans. (even though the facilities for blacks and whites were not equal) but i am sure most people would still object to this kind of separation even if its completely equal because back then the separation was a sign of white superiority or racist ideology just as a modern day separation of gay marriage and civil union represents a level of intoleration despite equal rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Homosexual)
    but in a world where everyone should be treate equally, an atheists CAN marry, should gay marriage not be allowed as a consequence.

and that's assuming that the gay couple isn't religious.... :rolleyes:
    That's a whole different discussion! I find it hard to reason why someone can believe in a deity that condemns their sexuality.

I realise that being gay doesn't mean you can't wonder about a creator God or whatever, but I don't see how you can marry in his eyes if the books that you follow condemn your orientation as a sin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmydoerre3)
    I cant really think of any RATIONAL (not religious bull crap) against gay marriage.
    Is there any rational reason for marriage at all? Civil marriage could be replaced with a contract making certain agreements- the most important of which would be distribution and sharing of property and arrangements for raising any children in the set-up. It need not be restricted to a man and a woman or even two people at all and needn't involve sexual arrangements of any kind. Spanish anarchists- who were sexually very puritanical- had "comradeship for life" between a man and a woman. There were no formal vows or ties, but the assumption was that precisely because the commitment was entirely voluntary and unofficial it would be much harder to break.

ReputationRep:
    I am actually pro gay marriage. I wouldn't even insist it be called something daft like "civil union" to be honest.

However, I think these marriages should remain "civil" (ie in a registry office/city hall) rather than religious; the Church should not for one moment entertain the idea of administering the sacrament of matrimony between same sex couples.

ReputationRep:
    Marriage, in the traditional, true sense of the word, is about religion, and God, and so on and so forth, so you cannot really separate the two things. That is why the world in general terms is against gay marriage. Lets not forget that as much as we think the world has moved forward from all this traditionalist *****, there are still many many many many people in the world who wants thigns to stay the same. Gay people, you are discriminated against by religion, and the church, so why do you want to get married? Why do you want to bind yourselves to a religion and a concept that is vehemently against you? Go and sign papers at a registry office, go and have a bit of a bash and have fun, but dont get married in the eyes of "god" etc etc
    I personally find it terible that becaus how bloody slow the legal world moves, people have o get married to sort out wills, finances, legalities over children etc. There should be no direct link between religion and law, and having to get married to ensure your family's security is simply stupid. Change the law, let there be papers and contracts and the like to ensure your rights to your partners money, or whatever, and then there will be no need to get married. Unless of course you are a gay christian who wants a whole religious thingy, in which case just ignore everything i said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)

notice my use of the word 'should' in that... maybe im just a bit too ideolistic though....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steerz)
    That's a whole different discussion! I find it hard to reason why someone can believe in a deity that condemns their sexuality.

I realise that being gay doesn't mean you can't wonder about a creator God or whatever, but I don't see how you can marry in his eyes if the books that you follow condemn your orientation as a sin.
    different interpretations of the same faith... see These Links Website and This Website for more detail than i can go into... just a little quote for reference too...

For example, modern readers agree with the Bible in rejecting:

• incest
    • rape
    • adultery
    • intercourse with animals.

But we disagree with the Bible on most other sexual mores. The Bible condemned the following behaviors which we generally allow:

• intercourse during menstruation
    • celibacy
    • endogamy
    • naming sexual organs
    • nudity (under certain conditions)
    • masturbation (Catholicism excepted)
    • birth control (Catholicism excepted).

And the Bible regarded semen and menstrual blood as unclean, which we do not.

Likewise, the Bible permitted behaviors that we today condemn:

• prostitution
    • polygamy
    • levirate marriage
    • sex with slaves
    • concubinage
    • treatment of women as property
    • very early marriage (for the girl, age 11-13)
    And while the Old Testament accepted divorce, Jesus forbade it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.