Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Homosexual)
    the interpretation of faith can lead to different understandings... in the same way that different interpretations of islam lead to both extremeists, and others... christianity also can be interpreted in different ways...
    Interpretation of the scriptures can indeed be a dangerous game. That's why the Church has fractured through repeated schism since 1054.

But some things really don't need a lot of interpretation. When we read the scriptures we don't start out with the aim of interpreting every single word. That's not really necessary.

ReputationRep:
    i was focussing more upon the way you seemed to not object to it for that reason...
    Can you stop talking in riddles and make a clear point? Put what you are trying to say down in a few concise lines for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Can you stop talking in riddles and make a clear point? Put what you are trying to say down in a few concise lines for me.
    ok. you said:

Well, of course. How could you stop them anyway?
    to which i said:

you said that almost as if you were resigned to the fact that you wouldn't be able to stop it, so there's no point in objecting to it...
    the way in which it was said makes it seem as if your reason behind not objecting to the marriage in this case is BECAUSE you cannot stop it... if this is true, then would you decide stop objecting to it if the church as a whole decided to reinterpret it's oppinion on the subject?

ReputationRep:
    Interpretation of the scriptures can indeed be a dangerous game. That's why the Church has fractured through repeated schism since 1054.

But some things really don't need a lot of interpretation. When we read the scriptures we don't start out with the aim of interpreting every single word. That's not really necessary.
    indeed: with differeing beliefs within the same faith, from the same scriptures... you say this as if it is wrong...

im just trying to work out what you mean with the second comment... interpret the scriptures as a whole, taking the general message? (which to me would destroy you point about it not being all about loving thy neighbout as thyself etc.) or to just miss out the parts that do not fit the religion that you have built around the scriptures (which to me would be ignoring some of the foundations on which your faith is built...)

ReputationRep:
    the way in which it was said makes it seem as if your reason behind not objecting to the marriage in this case is BECAUSE you cannot stop it... if this is true, then would you decide stop objecting to it if the church as a whole decided to reinterpret it's oppinion on the subject?
    I didn't say I wouldn't object to it or if I did, I certainly didn't mean to. I would object to it by my actions in leaving that particular Church if I was a member of it.

For example, if I was a member of the CofE I'd have left it years ago. That would be my way of registering my objection; probably my only way, since as a member of the lay order I would not be a member of the General Synod.

ReputationRep:
    indeed: with differeing beliefs within the same faith, from the same scriptures... you say this as if it is wrong...

im just trying to work out what you mean with the second comment... interpret the scriptures as a whole, taking the general message? (which to me would destroy you point about it not being all about loving thy neighbout as thyself etc.) or to just miss out the parts that do not fit the religion that you have built around the scriptures (which to me would be ignoring some of the foundations on which your faith is built...)
    Much of the scriptures means exactly what it says. That part of the scripture does not need interpreting. It's a bit like taking the literal approach to interpreting statutory legislation that all law students will be familiar with.

However, where the scriptures are not clear, this is where interpretation comes into the game. There are no hard and fast rules as to how this should be done; the Churches themselves differ in their teachings as to how this should be approached and this whole issue has been the topic of more PHd's than you can shake a stick at.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say I wouldn't object to it or if I did, I certainly didn't mean to. I would object to it by my actions in leaving that particular Church if I was a member of it.

For example, if I was a member of the CofE I'd have left it years ago. That would be my way of registering my objection; probably my only way, since as a member of the lay order I would not be a member of the General Synod.
    Do you disagree with the whole idea of gay marriage, or just gay marriage in a church?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    Do you disagree with the whole idea of gay marriage, or just gay marriage in a church?
    Just gay marriage in church. I have absolutely no objection to "civil" gay marriage.

ReputationRep:
    Just gay marriage in church. I have absolutely no objection to "civil" gay marriage.
    Just wondering, why would gay people want to get married in a church anyway? The Bible obviously doesn't like homosexuals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    Just wondering, why would gay people want to get married in a church anyway? The Bible obviously doesn't like homosexuals.
    I don't think many of them do want to get married in Church actually.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many of them do want to get married in Church actually.
    indeed, tis true for me, and most deff. for my bf. however, there are those whom are both religious and gay and would like to be married in a church, i do not believe that these people should be denied these rights...

also, see post 20 for stuffs regarding how the permitted, and condemmed actions within the bible have changed regarding sexual oppinons...

another problem is that heterosexual people whom have a 'union' in a registry office are still considered 'married' there are those whom are very much stipulating that for gay people, this will be 'civil union' and not a 'marriage'...

ReputationRep:
    indeed, tis true for me, and most deff. for my bf. however, there are those whom are both religious and gay and would like to be married in a church, i do not believe that these people should be denied these rights...

also, see post 20 for stuffs regarding how the permitted, and condemmed actions within the bible have changed regarding sexual oppinons...

another problem is that heterosexual people whom have a 'union' in a registry office are still considered 'married' there are those whom are very much stipulating that for gay people, this will be 'civil union' and not a 'marriage'...
    Well, I think there are options for gays to be married in Church. Some Church's do marry gays though I wouldn't personally recognize any such marriages.

As for the "civil union" issue, I regard that as complete nonsense. I have no objection to gays undergoing a civil marriage and it being called a "marriage"

ReputationRep:
    As for the "civil union" issue, I regard that as complete nonsense. I have no objection to gays undergoing a civil marriage and it being called a "marriage"
    i wasnt saying you did, just that some do....

ReputationRep:
    i wasnt saying you did, just that some do....
    Well, opinions are a bit like *******s really; everybody has one.

ReputationRep:
    Well, opinions are a bit like *******s really; everybody has one.
    lmao: all too true

ReputationRep:
    well if the church doesnt like it thats their bloody problem, they have no right participating in the political business of our country. So I see this religous debate as a bit irrelevant, the church cant stop people getting married in churches as there are liberal priest about.

Its the law thats the problem at the moment, and needs rectifying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markgg)
    well if the church doesnt like it thats their bloody problem, they have no right participating in the political business of our country. So I see this religous debate as a bit irrelevant, the church cant stop people getting married in churches as there are liberal priest about.
    You obviously don't really understand much about Cannon law, Church constitutions, or how sacraments work.

And last time I checked the Church wasn't "participating in the political business of our country"

ReputationRep:
    the church for a long time has, and for as long as a large amount of the population follows it will have, a substantial ability to exert political pressure, whether it directly participates or not.... and, IMO, it has that right where it is acting in aligment with the beliefs of it's members...

and also, it has the right to decide what occurs inside it's own churches... however, i do not believe that it can deny believers the ability to ether into a religious ceremony because of being (not choosing to be) something that the church condemns...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.