mks93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey

We're doing Young Enterprise Project; I'm the Managing Director of the company.

Unfortunately we don't know what to do!

Could anyone tell me their own experience of the project or advice on what to do!

I'm not sure what role structure we need as well.

I know that we need a managing director, which is me, but nothing about other positions!

I'm going to have about five people tops (including myself) in the group.

I live in the East End of London.

Please Help!

Thanks
sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Our group made custom websites for other businesses, starting from costs of £250.
CSmiley91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Our group started a Smoothie Bar business in the youth club within our school.

Would have been a great enterprise project if the team would have worked together well!
maxfire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Our group made a job website for 16-18 year olds.
When I say our group, I mean me. I was the only computer literate one in there.
Anyway, yeah, we failed. The website was great, even if I say so myself, but no one wanted to advertise their jobs. But we won best website in our local area ;D
And everyone else was like "OMFG THEIR IDEA WAS BUFF TINGS". Because they all did hoodies. D:
Sports Racer
Report 10 years ago
Buy pizzas to sell to lower years.
Sariya
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Play to your skills! Do you have decent designers? Techies? Salespeople? Any connections you can exploit to get a better deal?

We made a web order service for some toys. Made about £100 at the end of it- barely below breaking even.
amie05
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You probably should think of a simple idea if there's only gunna be 5 of you. Some idea's I saw people do: decorating brollys, mugs, yearbooks, jewellery, phone charms, phone cases, bags.

A Finance director is probably the only other specific role you'll need seeing as there are only a few of you, you'll just have to share the other work out.

You'll receive a pack of info including everything you need to know and you'll probably get desegnated a volunteer business advisor who you should make the most of as they have much experience

Remember profit isn't everything, the judges care more about how you present yourself, your ideas and the way you all work as a team. Your profit means pretty much nothing. Oh and the judges like to see some sort of fundraising event eg. a cake sale, sweet sale.

My most important advice would be to make sure you have regular meetings to dicuss everything, get things up and running as soon as possible, keep minutes of meetings to refer back to when you're writing the report at the end and make sure you distribute the workload fairly.

Good luck and I hope you do well
mks93
Rep:
?
(Original post by amie05)
You probably should think of a simple idea if there's only gunna be 5 of you. Some idea's I saw people do: decorating brollys, mugs, yearbooks, jewellery, phone charms, phone cases, bags.

A Finance director is probably the only other specific role you'll need seeing as there are only a few of you, you'll just have to share the other work out.

You'll receive a pack of info including everything you need to know and you'll probably get desegnated a volunteer business advisor who you should make the most of as they have much experience

Remember profit isn't everything, the judges care more about how you present yourself, your ideas and the way you all work as a team. Your profit means pretty much nothing. Oh and the judges like to see some sort of fundraising event eg. a cake sale, sweet sale.

My most important advice would be to make sure you have regular meetings to dicuss everything, get things up and running as soon as possible, keep minutes of meetings to refer back to when you're writing the report at the end and make sure you distribute the workload fairly.

Good luck and I hope you do well

Hey

What did you do for your business?
mks93
Rep:
?
(Original post by AirRaven)
Play to your skills! Do you have decent designers? Techies? Salespeople? Any connections you can exploit to get a better deal?

We made a web order service for some toys. Made about £100 at the end of it- barely below breaking even.
Hey

What was the most successful business that you knew of?
Sariya
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mks93)
Hey

What was the most successful business that you knew of?
A group in Manchester made about £20,000 by organising bus tours for tourists.
wubwoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Invent and sell Mapkins™

Mapkins™ : It's a napkin, that has a map of the local area on it, helping you to find your way and stay grease free. Ideal for the tourist on the move, the commuter on the go or the housewife if a hurry.
mks93
Rep:
?
(Original post by AirRaven)
A group in Manchester made about £20,000 by organising bus tours for tourists.
Hey

That's super cool.

Lol - is there something on a smaller scale that would have similar impact?
:)M:)
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by maxfire)
Our group made a job website for 16-18 year olds.
When I say our group, I mean me. I was the only computer literate one in there.
Anyway, yeah, we failed. The website was great, even if I say so myself, but no one wanted to advertise their jobs. But we won best website in our local area ;D
And everyone else was like "OMFG THEIR IDEA WAS BUFF TINGS". Because they all did hoodies. D:
Our YE group are thinking of doing a simillar thing, any advice on how to actually set up the website and the job search engine?
WIC
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My 'team' and I created multi-cultural recipe books.

Cost of production: £3.32
Selling price: £8.99
profit at the end: £875-880

Think about the area you live in, and see if that could spark an idea.
GCSEgirl13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hey, is this tenner tycoon?
i had to do this

we went to a supermarket and brought cheep sweets, sold them at school. on the weekends we did a car wash. we brought cheap products to clean cars.
ScouseEmma28
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hahaha, i come across your post because our group for YEA was set up today too in uni and im MD...lol
MeadowO.O
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi
Ive got an idea for it:
Do a car wash a round where ever and make posters for it and chage money for it (of corse)

Love MeadowO.O
Lynn0000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what should we sell in school?
Student608
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dont know what to do or what has been done in the past. Ideas for a cheap school XD.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (174)
48.74%
No (44)
12.32%
I'm not old enough (139)
38.94%

Watched Threads