Oh dear, we're gonna be overrun by Lib Dems next year :rolleyes:
Lauren18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kidney thief)
woo!

dont think itll be a good idea to go drinking with kennedy tho...
Oh no, the man's a legend! He came to my College during the election campaign - on the day his kid was born and he had to rush off! He seemed genuinely 'nice', but then you never can tell...

(Original post by Phonicsdude)
If I go to KCL I'm in! Lib Dems woo!
Yay! Three whole members... we're three times the might of the Labour Party already... this could be the start of something big. (Or not...)
spoon1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cottonmouth)
Hey, it's Ant, aka Cottonmouth (after my favorito film character EVER), and i just want to know who else will be starting law at kings in 2006.I will be, providing i get my 2 as n a b.Who is there at the moment, doing law, and what is it like.Also, i really want to get in stamford st, cus the location is easiest for lazy, chronically late me, but ive heard the rooms are so small people die of oxygen starvation during the night. Are they worth the money? And is it true King's is full of Tories? And is it true that unless you're really rich you'll end up hustling on the streets before the first term is over? And is it true that most people don't get firsts in the finals? Sorry about the 20 questions, but i'm really curious, as it is my firm choice. And to the people there now, does it live up to it's reputation? And is anyone else worried that the college is practically on the centre of the X that terrorist bombers are aiming for?
Oh and i might aswell introduce myself now because since finding this website, ive been on nearly every day, it's great. Im Ant, as i said earlier, 18, doing law after my gap year, cool guy, vice president of my 6th form, very opinionated, no-one can beat me in debates, i can't stand the conservative party, they make me wanna throw up.If people want pix, go to www.faceparty.com/sstush, i am not very comp-orientated so cnt get pictures up on here for sum reason.

I love the Land Before Time! It's such a great film!
Dreama
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'll be studying Law at KCL later this year (Grades pending of course.)
phillipsm
Badges:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Kingspharm)
I believe that's because the single member of the Labour soc graduated so there was nobody to take over the reins :rolleyes:
There have to be a number of student members, not just one, for a society to exist, as I understand it. And well, no body to take over the reigns - LOL! Says it all, really.
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I hate all political activist students. I might sound hypocritical doing war studies but I care more about the philosophies behind war and the social implications etc. Anyway if you try to talk to me about politics outside of the classroom I'll probably just blank/ slap you depending on how stupid I think you are.

I'm waiting for someone to say they will make an "atheist" society, man I'd have a field day.
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by phillipsm)
There have to be a number of student members, not just one, for a society to exist, as I understand it. And well, no body to take over the reigns - LOL! Says it all, really.
You have to have a certain number of people supporting the application to create a new society, but once it's created, it can have as many or few members as you like I think!
kidney thief
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lauren18)
Oh no, the man's a legend! He came to my College during the election campaign - on the day his kid was born and he had to rush off! He seemed genuinely 'nice', but then you never can tell...

wow cool, were u on the news?

still, kennedy having a drink with us? paxman would have a field day :eek:
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cheesecakebobby)
I hate all political activist students. I might sound hypocritical doing war studies but I care more about the philosophies behind war and the social implications etc. Anyway if you try to talk to me about politics outside of the classroom I'll probably just blank/ slap you depending on how stupid I think you are.

I'm waiting for someone to say they will make an "atheist" society, man I'd have a field day.
*sets up an atheist society*
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Bwahah
Phonicsdude
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why dont you like atheist societies?
And why dont you like political discussion?
Lauren18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kidney thief)
wow cool, were u on the news?

still, kennedy having a drink with us? paxman would have a field day :eek:
I was sitting in the second row and the BBC did a short report of the day's election campaigning, so me and mes amis could be seen for a few split seconds! One of my friends was interviewed by Radio One - I think it was mainly because he'd had to rush off for the baby, rather than the fact that he visited our little college! The constituency where my College is was a major target for the LibDems (I think 2nd tightest majority in UK or something), so they were here quite a bit. Anyway... I'm rambling. :rolleyes:

There are rumours that Charlie's partial to the odd drink, so I'm sure he'd oblige!
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't like atheist societies like a certain "church" in the discussion forums as they have no purpose other than to mock religion. What else would they do, sit around and talk about how great it is that God doesn't exist? Pointless.

By the time the election ended I was sick to death of the same crap discussions every day. Politics has its place but that place isn't anywhere I'm trying to have a good time. I also hate the way students in particular choose a party and then devote their unquestioned support- its like they are supporting a football team. I think TSR really demonstrates that.
Phonicsdude
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmmm...I agree with the second paragraph. I love politics but am quite happy to admit the conservatives have some excellent good ideas. I am going to spend the whole summer thinking out my own political philosophy and see where it gets me.

Atheists societies can discuss the alternatives to religion. It allows much more scope for discussion than religion as there is no book to follow.
If there is no God, then WHO created the universe? etc etc
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Phonicsdude)
Atheists societies can discuss the alternatives to religion. It allows much more scope for discussion than religion as there is no book to follow.
If there is no God, then WHO created the universe? etc etc
Surely if anyone created the universe that would make them a 'god' if not the classical theist God? There are plenty of atheist philosophers but you might as well have a fully fledged philosophy society. An atheist society just seems pointless because it is a group of people united by the fact they don't think something exists. I could just as logically create a "there is no such thing as a purple flying hippo society" and claim that we discuss the alternatives to a purple flying hippo
Dreama
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I could just as logically create a "there is no such thing as a purple flying hippo society" and claim that we discuss the alternatives to a purple flying hippo
Well there's the pink flying hippo, the lilac flying Rhino...
Lauren18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I also hate the way students in particular choose a party and then devote their unquestioned support- its like they are supporting a football team. I think TSR really demonstrates that.
I don't like it either... but it's the same principle as 'collective responsibility' - in Parliament, MPs are expected to vote with the party ALWAYS. If they don't, they won't find a Junior Ministership on the horizon, etc (e.g. the MPs who voted against Blair on Iraq and on top-up fees).

The whole of politics is just really a question of government v opposition. There is never going to be a party with which people can agree with all of their policies. This creates debate, argument, pressure - which allows the govt-opposition system to work.
cottonmouth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Right, im going to have to start up the labour soc. again, forget about the lib dems! Students are only rooting for them because of the whole tuition fees thing.What people dont realise is the lib dems would introduce this new local income tax, which would end up meaning that people who earn between £18-£24,000 would pay loads more or summat.Snd as the average post grad earns this amount, over the years, the whole tuition scrapping would be nulled anyway.Lib dems used to be right of labour, they only seem lefty now because of how far "new labour" swung to the right.Kennedys a buffoon!!!!Off the subject slightly, but doesnt that John Redwood of the conservatives scare the hell out of people?He reminds me of my image of Lord Voldemort!And cheers for the replys, didnt know i would spark up such interest!
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Right, I'm officially setting up the Apathy Soc
goneaway56
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Right, I'm officially setting up the Apathy Soc
If you were really apathetic you wouldn't be setting up a society ...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (75)
19.38%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (157)
40.57%
Nope, not that interesting (155)
40.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed