Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Lang / Lit ~ Pre-Relase Case Study (June 14th 2005) watch

ReputationRep:
    OK guys, I was thinking as of the 14th June 2005 we could use this topic
    (Please do not reply earlier than June 14th - It will just be a repeat of the others then).

I am going to list the links to other threads and what they contain now. feel free to post in any of those in the mean time:

Unit 6 Guide:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=120433

Types of Criticism:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t114192.html

Guide to answering question 1 and mainly question 2
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t108992.html

What are attitudes and values?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t104881.html

Remember this post should only be used after June 14th for talk about the case study, this can include, ideas, attitudes + values of each one, Summaries of each one, Critical Approaches applied to each one... basically ANYTHING that is related to the casestudy that can be used in the exam.

Lets all meet back here on the 14th
    (I have a revision session with friends on 14th at 10am so I will report my findings then!)

ReputationRep:
    I now declare this thread officialy open for Discussion about the Pre-Release which was released today at 9am. Please report with all your info, all your findings, all your ideas and ANYTHING relating to this casestudy. Try not to go to far off topic because this will be a good refference if used for its sole purpose. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    omg what is the theme? is it something to do with mental illnesses? Totally baffled. There are only 5 texts!!!! Any help would be appreciated lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a massive Radiohead fan and there is a Radiohead article:-) I'm going to read through the texts now.

ReputationRep:
    okie dokie well me n some of my class are sat here going thru them now so if we find ne thin il let u know n u do the same

ReputationRep:
    Abnormality isn't it?

I love Radiohead too, hoorah, so that one will probably be looked into quite thoroughly.

However, I think the Psychology text book is one I used quite recently for a resit... So I'm finding it difficult to approach it in any other way, if that makes sense!?

Paper 1 tomorrow so I'm off to revise that, I think I'll have a good look at these texts later though.

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about the theme, it could be a number of things really.

ReputationRep:
    Theme is:
    ABNORMALITIES
    in terms of different states of mind

ReputationRep:
    omg the theme is really hard to interpret!i was thinking abnormalities, but then there is also lonliness, obsession, neediness. Does anyone get the feeling that it is about how much we depend upon or need others. Like the bob m onkhouse, the king lear...but i could be completely wrong. I have a revision session tomorrow after ntb5 so i will post anything i learn there here after that.

ReputationRep:
    i interpret the theme as being mental abnormalities, and therefore we show how they are represented. for example in the yellow wallpaper one the abnormality is being insane, and it is portrayed in a negaitve light, whereas bob monkhouse's abnormality is portrayed as being a talent, a positive thing.

ReputationRep:
    Well done KayBobs Thats exactly it
    King Lear You have the sanity / insanity

ReputationRep:
    Is one of the texts Yellow Wallpaper? I've read that short story!

ReputationRep:
    yeah. I haven't read it, but lookin at plot overview seems interesting. quite good texts.

ReputationRep:
    That makes me feel slightly better!! Now I've just got to concentrate on tomorrow mornings exam now!

ReputationRep:
    The study Guide text is so crap it is unbelievable, but cos the theme is MENTAL INSTABILITY it is the perfect paper for me im gonna smash it!! lol. Best of luck to ya all if any1 finds some good resoiurces then put em up on here ok!! Good luck in ur other exams.

ReputationRep:
    if people could start putting detailed accounts of the different poems etc up and some approaches, etc then maybe we could start doing that?

ReputationRep:
    If someone could start with King lear I would find that incredibly useful. I'm trying to figure what the hell is going on in that.

EDIT: On a side note am I the only one that thinks that the unseen texts are likely to be a transcript and a poem, seeing as those are the two kinds we don't have?

ReputationRep:
    No i think we'll definitely get a transcript and a poem, if not a poem definitely a transcript. there's always a transcript and i always get sidetracked in my annotation with fillers and the like, but you don't need to know any of that for unit 6. xx

Sorry i don't have anything more helpful to write, but i haven't even looked at the texts yet. xx

ReputationRep:
    Just got given a load of king lear notes from an english teacher (not my english teacher as that is ch ch cheating!!!) will post what i know when i know it!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/lear/

this site gives u a good overview and scene anaylsis of KING LEAR, also provides the play itself to read and historical context and loads!! I used sparknotes as a base for my othello work, and i think i did ok 2 day (gulp!)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.