Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Lang / Lit ~ Pre-Relase Case Study (June 14th 2005) watch

ReputationRep:
    So is there a difference between "verse" and "blank verse"?

ReputationRep:
    [Attitudes and Values:[/U]

Allows the student to read through definitions and choose the model that defines “abnormality” the best. Gives scientific arguments for/against seeing abnormality as good or bad. Recognises it can be beneficial “genius…highly desirable”.

Effect others can have on abnormality/ how an "abnormal person" can effect others: “judgements to be made by others…” (T2&3)

where did u find "judgenets to be made by others..."???
    im confused about A+V's fro this one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AATTMM)
    So is there a difference between "verse" and "blank verse"?
    Not that im aware of, think its a long way of saying plain verse - only different type is romantic verse and thats not an issue in this play!

Also ,just decided that the writer/narrator in text 2 uses childish language, mirrors her restricted and isolated situation - infantile statements like " a yellow smell" and listing techniques like "old, foul, bad yellow things" suggests her state of mind is affected by her situation (stuck in a childrens nursery room all the time, with bars on the windows, and deprived of intellectual stimulus) and her language mirrors her reaction to her situation.

Also uses lots of !'s , suggest childish excitement at small things - boredom and isolation shown by this excitement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisaf6288)
    [Attitudes and Values:[/U]

Allows the student to read through definitions and choose the model that defines “abnormality” the best. Gives scientific arguments for/against seeing abnormality as good or bad. Recognises it can be beneficial “genius…highly desirable”.

Effect others can have on abnormality/ how an "abnormal person" can effect others: “judgements to be made by others…” (T2&3)

where did u find "judgenets to be made by others..."???
    im confused about A+V's fro this one!
    Bleh, sorry it was my short hand form, lol even I can't understand what I wrote. Never mind. That quote's in bold on page 9.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah she does use a childlike narrative, but also uses sopshicated polysallabic words to show her confusion and contrasts her narrative report "i'm feeling much better" and yet the wallpaper makes her think of foul, bad things. The contrasting ideas show how someone of intellect is being oppressed and it is her silencing which utimatley makes her go mad as she has little scope for creative outlet as she has no stimulation, thus focuses her attention on the wallpaper and tries to read it and analyse almost obessively claiming she needs to "find it out". This mirrors the oppression the writer would have felt in the 19th century as women were oppressed.

ReputationRep:
    What approaches are people gunna talk about for texts 1 and 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AATTMM)
    :O 16? Are you in year 11 or year 12?
    im supposed to be in yr 11, ibut moved up a yr now im doin my A2'S. they are hard.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what underlying themes or sub themes people were going to use to group the texts to analyise?

I've thought of a few, it could be:
    Family effect on abnormality - 1,2,3
    Perhaps the social effects of abnormality - 2,3,5?
    Abnormality as a gift - 3,5
    Abnormality as a curse 1,2

Of course it all depends on what come up on the unseen... others may appear.

Oh and can anyone tell me what a linguistic and literary framework are?

ReputationRep:
    something REALLY useful!!!!!

The extent to which you think Lear has gained sanity at the end depends on a few things. First of all, it may be useful to note the pathetic fallacy of the storm; the storm reflects Lear's state of mind. Also, the cacophonous rhythm of Lear's speech reflects the thunderous storm and emotions swelling in Lear's mind. It is important that you consider why Lear loses his sanity. You might also want to consider the role of the Fool. Is the Fool the only sane one in the play? Possibly. You must, MUST, consider the different rhythmical patterns of Lear's speech throughout the play to help you track his levels of sanity. Shakespeare is of course known as the world's best playwright, but he, along with all authors of all genres is also a poet. It is the author's skill to choose diction careful. The SOUND of the speech is just as important as the words written, if not more so. You need to note any changes in the audio effect. Obviously, there isn't the space here to explain further on the importance of sound, so you should talk to your teacher about this for more help. It is also important to remember that King Lear is a play--so many tend to forget this or don't put enough stress on the theatricality of the play.

ReputationRep:
    linguistic framework

contextual features

intercational features

lexo-grammatical features

phonological features

ReputationRep:
    hey guys/girls.

has anybody got any notes on text 5 as im stuck on making more links to creativity and insanity through music.

any one can help, would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Is linguistic framework an approach?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aplin)
    basically the linguistic framework can be known as an approach as its the structure to which you write an essay as you are splitting your approach to the question up into sections.

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aplin)
    something REALLY useful!!!!!

The extent to which you think Lear has gained sanity at the end depends on a few things. First of all, it may be useful to note the pathetic fallacy of the storm; the storm reflects Lear's state of mind. Also, the cacophonous rhythm of Lear's speech reflects the thunderous storm and emotions swelling in Lear's mind. It is important that you consider why Lear loses his sanity. You might also want to consider the role of the Fool. Is the Fool the only sane one in the play? Possibly. You must, MUST, consider the different rhythmical patterns of Lear's speech throughout the play to help you track his levels of sanity. Shakespeare is of course known as the world's best playwright, but he, along with all authors of all genres is also a poet. It is the author's skill to choose diction careful. The SOUND of the speech is just as important as the words written, if not more so. You need to note any changes in the audio effect. Obviously, there isn't the space here to explain further on the importance of sound, so you should talk to your teacher about this for more help. It is also important to remember that King Lear is a play--so many tend to forget this or don't put enough stress on the theatricality of the play.

So is lear inasne to start off with and gains sanity throughout this extract or does the storm 'cause' his decent into madness????? This question is of MAJOR importance to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wobblyguy)
    So is lear inasne to start off with and gains sanity throughout this extract or does the storm 'cause' his decent into madness????? This question is of MAJOR importance to me!
    before the extrat which in lear is act 3 sc 2 he goes into madness before this as its over the trouble with his daughters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aplin)
    the module is called critical approaches, but some will use a linguistic approach, like myself, cos I find it more useful. But some I will use a critical approach to the lit texts. Non lit texts- non lit approach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gloucester_ben)
    before the extrat which in lear is act 3 sc 2 he goes into madness before this as its over the trouble with his daughters
    So he doesnt regain sanity??? Does the storm represent insanity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gloucester_ben)
    linguistic framework

contextual features

intercational features

lexo-grammatical features

phonological features
    Thanks! What about a literary framework?

I think this will be useful for question 2

ReputationRep:
    I thought that blank verse was verse that did not rhyme? and also the words Rage and Blow in Lear show phonetics because they are very strong sounding letters which 'burst' out ur mouth showing how angry hhe is... i tihnk the word is fricative or maybe thats repetition of F sounds i dunno im having an English overload!

ReputationRep:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aplin

the module is called critical approaches, but some will use a linguistic approach, like myself, cos I find it more useful. But some I will use a critical approach to the lit texts. Non lit texts- non lit approach.
    so would you comment upon this is question 2?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.