Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Lang / Lit ~ Pre-Relase Case Study (June 14th 2005) watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely doing 1,2 and 3..I'll make brief references and comparisons with texts 4 and 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cagz00)
    So is everyone in agreement that 1 2 and 3 are prob best from the lack of 4 and 5 on the site?
    Anyone planning on doing all of them? someone was planning on doin that earlier on and it sounded craaaazy!
    im def refering to all 5, why bother to include such a few amount of texts otherwise? i reckon that on the markscheme it'll say something like really good essays make reference at least to all 5 understanding basic theme?? or soemthing. my advice is include them all even if its only a basic refernece!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay! Fair enough. I see your point. I guess I'll use more from the pre-release depending on how much i get out of the exam texts. If they're crap i'll have to resort to the pre-release and just mention the exam ones briefly! Botch job.

ReputationRep:
    u no wen we go in the exam and turn the paper over, does the question actually state what the theme is?

ReputationRep:
    they usually say that you should have only highlightings and annotations in the coloumns.. but as long as you havent got essay plans or chunks and paragraphs of notes.. its true no one checks! xx
    Oh god... Mine has tons of planning for question 2, deffinitions of different types of critisms and ways to deconstruct a poem... I really hope I do not get searched >.> Well Its never happned before and I have done 3 different pre-release modules (including GCSE) so I am not worried... worst comes to worse I will just have to use my memory with a new case study ^^

Still looking for quotes XP

I would say 5 and 3 are very important to compare to, the only one I don't like is 4... but then its do-able... but annoying because you have to use different types of approaches. I have an idea though, to include it just link some parts of a text and then say, this coinsides with the factual points in text 4... simple

ReputationRep:
    u no wen we go in the exam and turn the paper over, does the question actually state what the theme is?
    Yes it with say
    How does the (THEME HERE) convey..... etc

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said a few weeks ago that in order to get a good mark you must refer to the 2 unseen texts in depth

ReputationRep:
    OK - so i've read the texts now and think i have a pretty good handle on them. I might use all the texts, but mainly refer to the first three as they seem to have the most to talk about.

Context for Lear - i don't know anything about mental illness really, just that Shakespeare was representing james 1st (a+v Aplin) and how he had delusions of grandeur.

I think my essay will use these headings:

Historical development of attitudes and values towards mental abnormality
    Treatment of abnormality
    Representation of character
    causes of insanity
    Depiction of insanity in texts (how it is portrayed)

Really not sure about quotes Aplin i'm afraid, bit knackered now. Will post more tomorrow to help out a bit more. xx

ReputationRep:
    It'll end up being something really obscure now! Explain with references to the texts attitudes and values about farms!!!

ReputationRep:
    oo also the approaches that i will take will be a contextual approach. I will also use a hierarchial approach to examine the texts (well i have anyway) and i will mention the possible feminist reading in yellow wallpaper.

What does the marxist approach relate to? I've found it difficult to see that in the texts. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cagz00)
    It'll end up being something really obscure now! Explain with references to the texts attitudes and values about farms!!!
    VERY GOOD!!!!! I'm dreading it being obscure.....we only have 5 texts remember..very strange!

ReputationRep:
    Marxist in King Lear. Status of the fool is ironic. What we can say about that according to mental disorders i dunno! Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    here are the approaches im gonna use for each text:

text 1:
    new historicism
    literary
    linguistic
    contextual
    marxist

text 2:
    contextual
    literary
    feminist
    new historicism

text 3:
    contextual

tesxt 4:
    linguistic
    contextual

text 5:
    linguistic
    contextual

im really worrying for this one, does any body else have ideas on approaches for each text?

ReputationRep:
    We were told by an examiner that came into our college that in order to get a decent grade (above a C he sed) you should compare, in depth the two unseen texts with two of your choice from the pre-release. il probz make some cross references to other texts but we dont need 2 analyse all of them 2 deeply I dont think.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thats what i meant. I did that on my mock and got a good grade. Just using four texts, two from the pre-release, then the exam to. Just manipulate the exam ones to your argument or slant on the whole idea of mental disorders.

ReputationRep:
    Thats cool, was startin 2 think i was only person whod been taught that. phew. My pre-release on the other hand, lol, may have a little too much written down.

ReputationRep:
    hehe mine has like no space at all

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just leave one page relatively blank, and when an invigilator walks by, turn to that page as if something has really caught your eye on it!? Surely that'll work! Or just point to the front of ur exam hall with a crazed look on your face like somethings happening there to divert their attention?
    No?

ReputationRep:
    lol my writing is tiny. has ne one got ne ideas of what approaches to use for each text, so we are fully prepared. like i did above ^^^^. any help would be most appreciated

ReputationRep:
    If we hear on the news of someone doing that....we'll know its you cagz!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.