Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Lang / Lit ~ Pre-Relase Case Study (June 14th 2005) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaybobs)
    basically your looking at all the background information that would have an effect on your text. For example, the author and his/her background, the time is was written, what was happening that would effect this text? Also looking at social, historical and political contexts. Basically context is looking at the 'bigger picture', and I find this one the most easiest approach to use and apply to each of the texts.

Now....could anybody help me in going into more detail on the linguistic approach, in terms of what it consists of etc?
    thamks kaybobs...these are all the notes iv got an linguistics. our teacher only gave us a paragraph on each..im so scared...

'use terminlogy and study of how language works to provide a more objective anaylsis than simply looking at so-called literary devices. Lang operates on common principles and it may be a useful idea to try Pract Crit AND Stylistics appraoch to the same text and emphasise their differnces'

she never makes things simple. sorry if thats not any help but hose are all the notes iv got!!

ReputationRep:
    good luck everyone!!!!!!
    oh, i wonder what will come up in the exam. i pray its the normal question, my teacher really scared me and said they might ask for just non fiction texts or sumin random!argh..........anyhow, i think thats unlikely, or y wud they give us fiction?!well GOOD LUCK

ReputationRep:
    what is practical critiscism? and what is the strylistics approach? im confused now lol.

ReputationRep:
    practical criticism is analysing the literary features, such as images, symbolism etc, and stylistics is the study of the grammar and language basically!!

ReputationRep:
    so has this paper already been done? anyone got the paper today?? Unit 5....

ReputationRep:
    I think i speak for us all when i say...ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!

ReputationRep:
    woohoo i feel ready. Cheers for the help guys. We'll all be fine. xx

ReputationRep:
    has anybody got model answers by AQA they could send me please?
    x

ReputationRep:
    Not right now, i'm at college so i can't scan them in and send them to you. Plus it's an hour and a half before the exam and i need to revise! The answers i got from AQA were cap anyway. I suggest you just make an essay plan and think of the approaches you took. xx

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I have just done the exam and now I'm panicking!! I missed out loads of points that I knew and have only just remembered!!! I completely forgot to mention who has power in the texts and turn taking etc where appropriate! I also think I chose the wrong texts to talk about I chose to write about in-depth; texts 2, 3 and I wrote quite a few points on text 4. But I didn't write about King Lear in depth, although I did mention that text where ever I could but only quick sentences. At the time, I don't know why, but I thought it wasn’t appropriate but now I think it is!! AAARGGHH! But overall it was ok, text 6 was not that hard but I didn’t like text 7. I couldn't understand at first what it was saying and then when I did, there wasn't much I could put about it!! It was sooo short! Lol!! But anyways, I hope everyone did brill!!!!! No more English!!!! Yay!!

ReputationRep:
    I was like YES!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!! the transcript was awsome, it showed attitudes of someone with experience and also showed that mentaly ill people can be professionals (link with text 4 and text 5). Also it linked to text 3 and 5 in the sense it was interaction based on interviewer and a subject, just in different forms. Not only that, it had lots of respext and sympathy not in texts 1-4 and only linkable to text 5.

Text 7 the poem was pretty bad. I wrote only a page for that. I wrote it had no title, which meant the poem was obviously trying to be confusing and therefore my reader responce was effected greatly, because without knowing much about the poem and with no explination, this is all I could rely on. I linked it to text 2 (yellow wallpaper) because of the confusion and apparent anger and oppersites. I also said that maybe the reader was trying to get you to be confused and commented I did not have enough time to use this poem to the best of my ability, but if I did I would use deconstruction to gain meaning.
    I then compared texts 6 and 4, then 3 and 5 and then 1 and 2 whilst making links from text 4 as a coathanger and then bought back texts 2 and 7.

In my question 2 I commented on 7 critisms I used throughout. I also explained why I chose all 7 texts, I said I believed I could do it and that I personally believed that every text had relavent contributions to the question, which I believed where needed for a successful answer. I again the fact my reader responce was greatly weakened by my non-understanding of poem 7, however I decided that maybe this was how it was meant to be and part of reader responce is that meaning can change after another read. I then commented on the fact I would use deconstruction to gain in depth meaning if given more time.
    I then rounded it off saying I approached question 1 using my own attitudes and values as well as what I picked up from the texts. I tried to comment on the different types of mental differences shown in a good and bad light.

Obviously lots of other stuff including a lengthy introduction and conclusion.

I wrote 14 pages and hopefully that is enough to get me my C in this module to give me a B overall ^^ - that is my only aim.

Again... the most important part of my exam being a success was you guys! and I think it goes for all of us that we as a group worked well and should thank each other... GROUP HUG :P

Seriously though... thanks.

ReputationRep:
    oh god that was horrible! i think it went ok but im such an idiot i refered to the first unseen as a transcript!!! even though it totally wasnt. do u think id lose loadsa marks for that?? whaahh

ReputationRep:
    No because it was a transcript in the sense... pretty much any way. Its still a recollection of a talk... its a transcript of an interview I would have thought?

ReputationRep:
    It was a transcript which was then edited and crafted etc to make sense.... right?!!??

ReputationRep:
    and no you would not lost many marks because you are only talking about the form there which is a tiny, tiny piece... most of it is attitude/values and context and gener

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't too bad..I hated the poem though...yuck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    It wasn't too bad..I hated the poem though...yuck!
    Yeah, I know what you mean! Crap poem! Someone said to me that it was basically saying that 'sane' people are actually more crazier than mentally ill people!?! I thought it was saying that if you look at mental illness with an open eye, you will see it makes sense but to the majority of people its wrong and you get locked away!?

ReputationRep:
    poem was pretty crappy

Really sane people more insane then ill people thats what I wrote!!!

open eye, you will see it makes sense - yea that was there, because of the way they said those who look at it (somethingly) get it (somethingly) I werote about that part as well and it also said maybe sanity doesn't m,ake sense... this was the contrasting part of a poem leading to meaning...

At the end it says as soon as you gain sanity you lost it and need to be looked after by chains because you are dangerous... thats pretty much exactly what I wrote any way

maybe I didn't do as bad as I thought I did with it XD

ReputationRep:
    about the poem, i said she was sayin society judges one based on their own conception of 'normal' and if you deviate you get put on 'a chain'. criticising society('the majority-men?)and how they dnt understand mentally ill ppl and jus ppl hu dnt fit in in general if they dnt comply with the seen norm.............sound ok?hard to use linguistic analysis on it tho.....

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.