Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Lang / Lit ~ Pre-Relase Case Study (June 14th 2005) watch

ReputationRep:
    AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH! It wasn't too bad at the time but all the way home i kept thinking of stuff i could have used.

i chose to view how states of mind were associated with mental illness and being 'different'. i focused on texts 2 and 5 from the pre release coz of the similairities in illness/syptoms between 5 and 6, and the fact that it has a personla viewpoint and also noted that text 2 has a fractured and rambling structure, much like Jamison's thoughts. text 7 was horrid with all that assent and demur woteva it was but i just said that what is mental and what is sane is not a black and white concept, its more subjective and personal but that the last line indicates the writers disgust at this typ of treatment (link to treatment of Jane by John in text 2.)
    also commented on how much of the negativity surrounding mental illness comes from society not from experiencing the syptoms itself (Jamison's friends don't get it, John doesn't get it, text 7's society doesn't get it.....) but that there can be positives such as the creativity experienced in text 2 and 5.
    really don't know why i didn't mention lear as it would have been a good one to consider language for because of the pathetic fallacy but i figured if i stuck to a few texts then i could concentrate on them and waffel less (yeah rite!!!!!)
    in my q2 i did pyschoanalysis, historicism, feminism, close analysis/practical criticism and stylistics.

Did any one notice that the questions were worded different so there is less chance to go off track in q 1 and also that q2 says methods not apporaches?

will log back in later...i've got frecnh revision for 2morra.

PS: thanks for all sharing your ideas...its been wicked.

ReputationRep:
    sounds very good blinky ^^ As long as people applied reader responce then they will get marks on the next question for it anyway ^^

ReputationRep:
    There was so much i wanted to write, i had wrote so much in my pre-release & i was actually confident going into the exam, and i messed it all up. I spent far too long talking about texts 3,5 and 6 in comparison, then was left with like half an hr to compare more texts and answer question two! Compared texts 2 and 7 (wasn't impressed with that one) and hardly wrote anything, and then on question two which i had prepared for really well n had loooads to say about it, i run out of time after about 6/7 lines! Really worried i've failed now i can't of done well i hardly wrote anything worth writing, i didn't use the really good notes i had in my pre-release it just some how all went wrong.

Really glad to hear some other people did well though - that's great!

Only two months til we get the results..

ReputationRep:
    oooh also was well pround of myself because i put for language usage that when Jamison talks about her "racing thought" her actual language usage begins to mirror this as she repeats or interupts herself (ie doesn't finish an idea before going on to the next)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz87)
    Did any one notice that the questions were worded different so there is less chance to go off track in q 1 and also that q2 says methods not apporaches?
    Yes, I did!! So did loads of other people at my school but I think I answered them reasonably well, as they were not that difficult.

ReputationRep:
    approaches are methods... but there are lots of other things you can use as well as approaches

ReputationRep:
    thought it was absolutely ****, probabl, would have been ok, if id had more time and the timetable wasn't so congested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durhamlad1)
    thought it was absolutely ****, probabl, would have been ok, if id had more time and the timetable wasn't so congested.
    I fainted during exam, so don't think anyone could have done worse than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace1)
    i contest t ahyt- i was 15 mins late and totally flustered- it took me so long to finally settle down.the whole thing was a complete nightmare.i spent too long on king lear so didnt even have time to write about monkhouse.only ended up writing about texts 1 and 2, then 6, with a lil bit squeezed in about 7, which i totally didnt get.i said it was about embracing madness, because as women were considered mad if they were academic back then, shes saying well if this is madness then i love it.which i now know is sooooo wrong that the examiners will probably laugh.then i thort, oh *****, the evaluation so i had to literally scribble down a bunch of crap that i ahdnt thought about proerly.then i desperately tried to rub out some of the notes id put before the examiners cam to clooect them, but oonly succeeded in drwaing attention to myself so they started leafing through it as they walked away with it!and id written practically a whole essay plan, so knowing my luck il be duisqualified, which may well be a better feeling than the u im expecting anway.
    but on a much happier note, text 6 was quite a dream wasnt it?could relate it to the objective way abnormalities are looked at in text 4.plus, it had positive points about illness, as did text 5,m whereas the others look at the negative aspects.it was a good extract, easier than some of the pre-release ones. but text 7 was an utter nightmare-eeeeek.i rwally hope i get a decent grade, if i dnt get a b im scrwewed.just glad my other modules have been ok...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace1)
    why did u faint?? did u get extra time and stuff? it was soooo hot in our hall, i was sweating (I know EURRGGGHHH) the whole way through as if i wasnt nervous enuf. hope i did ok, i need a B too Cottonmouth and if i dont get it my life is soooo over, no uni for me!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember it, it was a blur. Got 5 mins extra. ringing uni tomo. I think ive got b's in other modules. I need a B...but i only wrote 3 pages for 1st one and 2nd one. It jus wasn't good. :-( f**king fool!! I knew i was ill this morning but jus ignored it. I wanted to stop exam, but i carried on even though i felt like s**t...I was so determined. Got wet cloth over my head atm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    i contest t ahyt- i was 15 mins late and totally flustered- it took me so long to finally settle down.the whole thing was a complete nightmare.i spent too long on king lear so didnt even have time to write about monkhouse.only ended up writing about texts 1 and 2, then 6, with a lil bit squeezed in about 7, which i totally didnt get.i said it was about embracing madness, because as women were considered mad if they were academic back then, shes saying well if this is madness then i love it.which i now know is sooooo wrong that the examiners will probably laugh.then i thort, oh *****, the evaluation so i had to literally scribble down a bunch of crap that i ahdnt thought about proerly.then i desperately tried to rub out some of the notes id put before the examiners cam to clooect them, but oonly succeeded in drwaing attention to myself so they started leafing through it as they walked away with it!and id written practically a whole essay plan, so knowing my luck il be duisqualified, which may well be a better feeling than the u im expecting anway.
    but on a much happier note, text 6 was quite a dream wasnt it?could relate it to the objective way abnormalities are looked at in text 4.plus, it had positive points about illness, as did text 5,m whereas the others look at the negative aspects.it was a good extract, easier than some of the pre-release ones. but text 7 was an utter nightmare-eeeeek.i rwally hope i get a decent grade, if i dnt get a b im scrwewed.just glad my other modules have been ok...
    try fainting in front of people and not remembering how the f**k it happened!! It went so bad, i got highest in the mock too. this is so unfair i loved this theme as well, jus such a shame i am not well.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Grace, thats really sad. I think in certain situations you can be given your predicted grade... for like medical emergencies and stuff... call the board and explain... I screwed up ICT today as well... I think I left out like half the book because apparently there were questions on the back... don't remember doing them
    At least English went well...
    Seriously though Grace, that totally sucks and there should be something you can do about it, feel bad for you and cotton... sorry guys

ReputationRep:
    I feel really sorry for all you poorly people. Get a doctor's note tomorrow and hand it to your exam secretary. My friend was ill today and did this so the illness is considered when marking.

I thought it went Ok- not woo but not too bad either. We had a load of year 10s in the sports hall with us doing their business studies and this girl by me kept staring at me and didn't actually do the paper!

My evaluation was rubbish, kept waffling on about linguistic and literary approaches when i never really considered them and made some stuff up. Our class weren't taught much about Marxist etc.

On the whole- OK. Ill people get a sick note from your doctor!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz87)

will log back in later...i've got frecnh revision for 2morra.

PS: thanks for all sharing your ideas...its been wicked.
    Good luck with ur french ive got it too, what a nightmare! i thought english was ok the fact that it was state of mind threw me off a bit but i think i managed, a girl in mine was crying coz she didnt have time to attempt question 2! just think tho if we all do bad the grade boundaries are lowered, every cloud has a silver lining

ReputationRep:
    Phew. Glad that's over. Coulda been worse. Could've actually fallen out me chair when sleeping..

Now I've gotta cram for a 2 hour psychology exam for tomorrow. Lucky me.

Sorry to hear about grace1 and cottonmouth - if you guys did well in your other modules, then don't worry about it.

BTW, Aplin, did u finally get your quotes? (sorry I wasn't of any use... next time :tsr: )

ReputationRep:
    hehe no I didn't... I didn't use many quotes... only 2 from each of the seven texts >.<

ReputationRep:
    thank you thank you thank you, u lot saved my life with the good notes you all made, wahoo now am positive about my exam!!! cheers n well in everyone.
    Dean

ReputationRep:
    I proper didn't think that wasn't as bad as it could've been. I saw them poem and was like "what?! 8 lines!?", but it was actually a really interesting piece, Blatently I just blagged my way through it, but I reckon I did alright, I hope so anyway.

I used Prof. Clare as my angle in, focussing on the Radiohead text and Yellow Wallpaper. Referenced the other ones briefly, but those two I found were the most useful.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.