Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Lang / Lit ~ Pre-Relase Case Study (June 14th 2005) watch

ReputationRep:
    also, king lear bit is from Act III scene ii. im gonna try and work this one out, can someone figure out yellow wallpaper. a friend of mine has the book and appartently its really really short so i might try and read it!!

ReputationRep:
    I have been told to expect both a transcript and a poem.

ReputationRep:
    I hope we don't get a poem...I'm hopeless at anaylsing them

ReputationRep:
    Right, chucks, got a lot of info, i went over the stuff last night (instead of revising for today's Othello)- could NOT do anymore of that. I think the exam today was ok, but i was so short for time i just did texts a and b in q2 (doctors) cus didnt have time to read the other ones. i went 20 mins over on othello!The pre- releases are ok- except the radiohead one, which i cannot make head nor tail of. King lear, we all know is about sanity, and the storm represents his state of mind. In yellow paper, the paper represents her in confinement, the woman behind it represents her own freedom; the woman she wants to be. she has been put in the room to "recover"- it is a treatment for her going insane.men at the time thought that women who were intelligent, and had their own views, and were disobedient were insane. her remedy is to be locked away from any mental stimulation. but it is in fact the fact that she is out in the room that she goes crazy. She pays attention to so many small details about the room, because she is losing her mind. we see her irrationality when she considers burnin g down the room to get rid of the smell which she personifies, and becomes obsessed with, this play links to lear, because both use symbolic imagery to represent mental states. it links to monkhouse because of the obsessiveness( what with his collections)
    another theme is the way families/close relationships with others (lears daughters, yellow paper womans husbnad, bobs parents, radiohead mans band) contribute to mental illnesses. There are ways we can blame the family members for the insanity of the main person in ech text. then there are the way illness is looked at- scientifically/factually, opinion (bob article- i also think it is important to note thatvthis extract is as much about the writer as it is about bob- it is her take on his illness), jokey/dismissivley (radiohead), or from their own minds and opinion (lear, yellow paper). In lear, look at how he is nice to the fool "are you cold"- apparantly this is the first time he has been considerate for others. the fool's name is a contradiction- he is clever, speaks in rhyme, and gives the king valuable advice.it says something about status, and assumptions that because someone is high status they are better than someone. also remember that at this point (it is act 3 of lear) he isnt in control of his empire anymore- his daughters are. he has lost status, which is what turns him crazy.he sees how insignificant he is to the world, because of the storm.( i am rambling and typing thought as they come so there is no order here, sorry).
    anywya, im not gunna do text 5, think im gunna leave text 4 too.lear, monkhouse and yellow all have interesting enuff stuff, and can all be explicitly linked to family problems! for evaluation, there is a feminist approach for yellow, if u wanna take it.enuff from me methinks! *** on guys, lets have sum ideas!

ReputationRep:
    I was told to do the 2unseen (of course)
    and then 2 or at most 3 of the other ones... (apparently it is an idea to comment briefly on the others like, "this is also true in Text X because...." and then bring it back to the text in hand.

I will probably do the King Lear, Bob Monkhouse material
    and then either the psycology book or yellow one.

ReputationRep:
    sparknotes is poor on giving actual insights into the characters, u definitely need more than that, but it is a start. More help is deffo needed on Yellow Wallpaper, ok they use mental illness negatively, but the character is just so inaccessible.

ReputationRep:
    wow did i mess up the timing of my exam today, anway had a quick session with friends to go over the texts briefly, i lost the link but yes the yellow wallpapaer story is relatively short and try and find a version that has notes at the botton that highlgith symbolism, another thing that ive done is printed off the lyrcis to all the songs on kid and amnesiac, as maybe you would be able to reference songs that show particular indication of depression - tho it has to be said a lot of radiohead songs could be imterpreted that way. right well random babble and first eve post.
    will write more when the wine i drank to recover from unit 5 has cleared...

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You guys might wanna check these sites out to help with The Yellow Wallpaper:

http://www.scribblingwomen.org/cgwallpaper.htm
    http://mb.sparknotes.com/mb.epl?b=71...llpaper,yellow

I've only read through the first 2 texts yet...I have a psychology exam tomorrow so I gotta concentrate on that for now. I'll post up anything interesting on the pre-release material once the exam's over.

BTW, nice ideas, cottonmouth.

Take it easy, y'all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student no.9021)
    Hi,

You guys might wanna check these sites out to help with The Yellow Wallpaper:

http://www.scribblingwomen.org/cgwallpaper.htm
    http://mb.sparknotes.com/mb.epl?b=71...llpaper,yellow

I've only read through the first 2 texts yet...I have a psychology exam tomorrow so I gotta concentrate on that for now. I'll post up anything interesting on the pre-release material once the exam's over.

BTW, nice ideas, cottonmouth.

Take it easy, y'all.
    Cheers. Il try to post more, but tomorrow, i have psychology in the morning, and 2 socio in the afternoon, so wont be able to look at it again til fri nite- if i can be bothered after that absolute killer of a day!Why do we do this to ourselves, people?!

ReputationRep:
    OK, here's my take on texts 3 and 5. Firstly Genre -they are both interviews for national publications featuring a celebrity. Thom Yorke however is at the peak of his career - interviewer shows respect and tries to show where his problems and his ideas come from. The attitude of Lynn Barber is that Bob Monkhouse is past it - looking at his biography on wikipedia, he was at his best in the 60's. This is apparent as She states his age 72 lists him as meeker, tireder etc. she also comments on his book as "bland". Even the headline is slightly derrogartory, making him look a little odd. Both mention Anthony Clare, MOJO uses him to explain Yorke while Barber highlights how embarrassing the encounter was. This shows a good bit attitudes and values - Barber and Monkhouse find mental health/depression/abnormalities a taboo subject. Monkhouse catagorizes "I dont get depressed..." inclusion of this- as though it is an embarrasing "bad" thing where as mojo looks at is as a catalyst for creativity and Yorke talks dismissively (almost anticlimactical) about his depression "And then I went through a period of deep depression" this blunt statement is typical of his dry whit. Mojo is a relatively well written music magazine compared to say kerrang, rocksound etc - this is it's selling point (on website it claims "indepth and equisitely written!") The weekend broadsheet produced by the guardian. Barber's article is about her perceptions where as mojo is an appreciation - note no journalist is given accreditation. Thats all for now folks hope that helps someone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danryan86)
    OK, here's my take on texts 3 and 5. Firstly Genre -they are both interviews for national publications featuring a celebrity. Thom Yorke however is at the peak of his career - interviewer shows respect and tries to show where his problems and his ideas come from. The attitude of Lynn Barber is that Bob Monkhouse is past it - looking at his biography on wikipedia, he was at his best in the 60's. This is apparent as She states his age 72 lists him as meeker, tireder etc. she also comments on his book as "bland". Even the headline is slightly derrogartory, making him look a little odd. Both mention Anthony Clare, MOJO uses him to explain Yorke while Barber highlights how embarrassing the encounter was. This shows a good bit attitudes and values - Barber and Monkhouse find mental health/depression/abnormalities a taboo subject. Monkhouse catagorizes "I dont get depressed..." inclusion of this- as though it is an embarrasing "bad" thing where as mojo looks at is as a catalyst for creativity and Yorke talks dismissively (almost anticlimactical) about his depression "And then I went through a period of deep depression" this blunt statement is typical of his dry whit. Mojo is a relatively well written music magazine compared to say kerrang, rocksound etc - this is it's selling point (on website it claims "indepth and equisitely written!") The weekend broadsheet produced by the guardian. Barber's article is about her perceptions where as mojo is an appreciation - note no journalist is given accreditation. Thats all for now folks hope that helps someone!
    Your text 5 stuff is useful, but do you not find it too hard to write much about?its ok for links but thats about it! i say we all do lear, yellow paper, and bob, then wel be able to get abso EVERYTHING out of it.We need like, a meeting time, where everyone comes on together and just analyses for all we're worth

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Cot... why don't we all do those 3? then we can help each other in proper detail. We could say Sunday at 8 or something? (Gives people all time to see and probably a time very few people are busy)

ReputationRep:
    [/QUOTE]Your text 5 stuff is useful, but do you not find it too hard to write much about?its ok for links but thats about it! i say we all do lear, yellow paper, and bob, then wel be able to get abso EVERYTHING out of it.We need like, a meeting time, where everyone comes on together and just analyses for all we're worth[/QUOTE]
    Erm I read a lot of articles like this and did something similar for my A/S coursework so it's fairly familiar territory, On another note I have been advised to try and include all 5 texts one way or another as there is ONLY 5 texts. I think as the question will be Compare and Contrast, texts 1 and 2 would compare nicely as would 3 and 5 (same genre, different perspectives). There is quite alot to write about 5 in terms of rhetorical devices and it's construction -largely quotation (limited narrative) - how this concerns the genre and that the mental health issue is subsidiary to the article - unlike say 4 or 2

ReputationRep:
    yeah iv used the spark for contextual information on king lear, but i really need help in analysing the language. I think it is really hard to begin to analyse a Shakespeare extract without studying it in depth. Like if someone is given an Othello extract without studying it, it would be so hard to analyse because of the themes etc. I know that Lear is going insane because he thinks his daughters have betrayed him.
    From what i can interpret, Lear is the King of Britain and wants to hand down his authority to his three daughters, but to do this they have to prove how much they love him. Two of his daughters try really hard to show him how much they love him and the other one stays silent and says she cannot put words on how much she loves her father. I dont know why he thinks they have betrayed him, but it is this that sends him to go insane.
    The fool in the play is the kings jester, he often speaks in double talk (ambiguous) and in riddles. He speaks in prose because of his low status.
    Kent is a nobleman so is of high status and speaks in blank verse.
    This is all I have got so far with this text. I really do not know how is mental illness is portrayed, because Im struggling to pinpoint it within the extract. Anyhelp would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaybobs)
    yeah iv used the spark for contextual information on king lear, but i really need help in analysing the language. I think it is really hard to begin to analyse a Shakespeare extract without studying it in depth. Like if someone is given an Othello extract without studying it, it would be so hard to analyse because of the themes etc. I know that Lear is going insane because he thinks his daughters have betrayed him.
    From what i can interpret, Lear is the King of Britain and wants to hand down his authority to his three daughters, but to do this they have to prove how much they love him. Two of his daughters try really hard to show him how much they love him and the other one stays silent and says she cannot put words on how much she loves her father. I dont know why he thinks they have betrayed him, but it is this that sends him to go insane.
    The fool in the play is the kings jester, he often speaks in double talk (ambiguous) and in riddles. He speaks in prose because of his low status.
    Kent is a nobleman so is of high status and speaks in blank verse.
    This is all I have got so far with this text. I really do not know how is mental illness is portrayed, because Im struggling to pinpoint it within the extract. Anyhelp would be much appreciated.
    I havent done that much on king lear too, but i think his madness is shown by the way he's talking to the storm and demanding things of it. he personifies the storm as though it were his daughters. he comapres the power of the storm to his daughters power over him now and he sees himself as 'their slave, poor,weak,infirm and despised' (lines 19-20) And i agree its really hard to figure anyhting out without reading the whole text first. Im gonna do loads more on it tomorrow so il post something more useful then!

ReputationRep:
    aww thank you!! well tomorrow night I am gonna analyse them all to death so I will post up all my notes and hopefully they will help you...Iv got quite some in depth ones on the Yellow Wallpaper one but Il post them up tomorrow coz I need to get to bed now I have a sociology exam tomorrow!! lol. nighty night xx

ReputationRep:
    Can i just say some of your ideas are so good it's interestin to see how people think differently to others, i have just listened to the play which i found really useful but at the same time its easy to go into too much depth in the actual exam as u can only really comment on the pieces you are reading. For shakespeare i think it is better to take a new historicism approach because you can say how the play can be defined through its era and that it was common for kings to have the highest status but here that has clearly changed through his insanity and his daughters are taking over the empire. You can also take a literary/linguistic approach to look how there has been a language change and clearly you have to evaluate this text due to it being the only pre-1900 piece and also looking at the amount of semantic fields to do with weather and nature which are elements which we would not usually associate with abnormality or mental illness etc making it slightly incongruous. but then again you may not agree with any of my ideas lol but i feel bad taking all your ideas n not contributing some of my own :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else noticed the different way the fool addresses Lear compared to Kent?
    Considering his status as basically a servant of Lear's, he seems to tell Lear what to do and patronise him - an unusual way to treat a King. Kent on the other hand is very respectful. This shows something about attitudes/perceptions of mental illness. This is quite a good theme to try and find connections for in the other texts, as it is explicitly mentioned in Text 4. I have found Text 4 quite difficult to relate to the rest of the pre-release apart from by this theme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kezzer79)
    Can i just say some of your ideas are so good it's interestin to see how people think differently to others, i have just listened to the play which i found really useful but at the same time its easy to go into too much depth in the actual exam as u can only really comment on the pieces you are reading. For shakespeare i think it is better to take a new historicism approach because you can say how the play can be defined through its era and that it was common for kings to have the highest status but here that has clearly changed through his insanity and his daughters are taking over the empire. You can also take a literary/linguistic approach to look how there has been a language change and clearly you have to evaluate this text due to it being the only pre-1900 piece and also looking at the amount of semantic fields to do with weather and nature which are elements which we would not usually associate with abnormality or mental illness etc making it slightly incongruous. but then again you may not agree with any of my ideas lol but i feel bad taking all your ideas n not contributing some of my own :rolleyes:
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    You can't apply lit criticism to non lit texts can you? No thats a silly question.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.