Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Lang / Lit ~ Pre-Relase Case Study (June 14th 2005) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kezzer79)
    lol i think somebody has got confused because i remember listening to the play on a website called scribbling women and i swear that the woman in the play was called anne in the re-inacted version
    ah ha! i downloaded that play but never listened to it....good thing too by the sounds of it! Mystery solved!

ReputationRep:
    does any one have any ideas what will come up in the exam. i mean, i was told a transcript and a poem, but im not sure.
    also, i find question 2 soooooooooo difficult. i just can't get the hang of it!it comes out different every time i write one i swear!lol.
    Anne doesn't exist by the way, i think someones plotting to confuse!
    do all reckon the theme will be madness, or mental disorders of some kind then>??
    this site is soooooooooooo useful, i cant believe i JUS found it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by binkyxxxx)
    does any one have any ideas what will come up in the exam. i mean, i was told a transcript and a poem, but im not sure.
    also, i find question 2 soooooooooo difficult. i just can't get the hang of it!it comes out different every time i write one i swear!lol.
    Anne doesn't exist by the way, i think someones plotting to confuse!
    do all reckon the theme will be madness, or mental disorders of some kind then>??
    this site is soooooooooooo useful, i cant believe i JUS found it!!!
    hey welcome fellow new member! i hate question 2 as well, i just feel like whats the point of telling the examiner what you've just done because if you've done a good essay it shoud be obvious. also i have a tendancy to try and cram too much into essay one and so then question 2 becomes a bit of a repeate, only with more reference to the approach as a tool for understanding rather than emphasising the theme.
    i can't remember who posted it, but on pg 3 or 4 there are some good ideas for the second question. my english teacher told us in the practice test to write in the third person even though it is about your own work, as this sounds more formal and impressive...can be tricky though and i ended up sounding a bit pretentious saying "it is apparent to all..." and "when read from a _______ approach it is clear to the audience" and my personal fave "when one considers..."

oh and yeah so far as i can tell everyone is agreed that some king of metal illness/abnormality/madness thing is going on

By the way every one...i went onto the aqa site and got last summers examiners report and it tells you the exact marks people needed last year to get what grade. by this i mean the real marks out of 70, not the UMS marks out of 120

they are as follows:

Scaled Boundary Mark (number of marks available in the exam) 70 45 38 31 24 17
    Uniform Boundary Mark (number of marks on the USM scheme) 120 96 84 72 60 48

this means 17 gets you an E, 24 a D, 31 a C and so on...compared to some exam mark schemes (like french) this is ace. Only just over half marks for a B and just over 60% for an A!

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher gave us a clear guide when answering question two which i used and managed to get a B+ on the mock:

State angle which you have taken
    State which approaches you took
    State how useful they were
    Briefly show what the approaches allowed u to see e.g. a feminist approach shows you the role of women how they arn't respected etc.
    State which approach you found the MOST useful
    State which approaches you would take if you had more time

Hope that helps you because it sure helped me! x

ReputationRep:
    thank kezzer

ReputationRep:
    On the first page of this thread there is a link to another thread 'A guide to answering question one and mostly question 2' which has some helpful things in it.

I still haven't read the texts. xx

ReputationRep:
    Hey Emmz! I'm afraid we can't be so sure about the marks scheme. In our English lessons we covered two years mark schemes and we saw that one and went WOO! Then the next one was from another year and the boundaries were like nearer 55-65 points for an A. Then we all cried.
    They change every year depending on how well we do as a country. If we all do crap then they lower the boundaries! But don't take that advice!
    So what angles are you taking on mental disorders? Found any common themes in them?

ReputationRep:
    I'm completely understanding the coathanger idea thing - Taking the Psychology Text Book as a basis for the whole essay seems like it'll work for me. That way, maybe you can apply the question 'What is abnormality?' to all of the texts you use?

I think I will use Texts 3, 4 and 5... Although I'm having a revision session tomorrow evening with some friends - we're all taking a text and presenting it to the rest.

Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    I like your thinkin, the whole what is abnormality n how is it affected by other people works for me eg the husband in yellow wallpaper and the daughters in king lear and how sumtimes insanity can be driven by other people n not neccesarily sum1 loosing their mind!

ReputationRep:
    yeh, and also i noticed that the attitudes and values on madness are important in lear, yellow wallpaper and to contrast text 4. so that allows you to explore social and historical context from the writers point of view on maddness and how it changes over time, and how in the psychology text book treatment is a crucial part of mental disorders, thats why its studied nowadays in the first place, whereas in Lear it is more symbolic of a breakdown rather than an actual problem to be solved. in yellow wallpaper, the fact her brother and husband, both doctors, give her treatment of 'rest' actually ends up driving her insane as she is interlectually and socially deprived and how that mere fact reveals attitudes and values that the men basically did not know what they were talking about medically. i dno, sound about right???
    help, im dying here!!!!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by binkyxxxx)
    yeh, and also i noticed that the attitudes and values on madness are important in lear, yellow wallpaper and to contrast text 4. so that allows you to explore social and historical context from the writers point of view on maddness and how it changes over time, and how in the psychology text book treatment is a crucial part of mental disorders, thats why its studied nowadays in the first place, whereas in Lear it is more symbolic of a breakdown rather than an actual problem to be solved. in yellow wallpaper, the fact her brother and husband, both doctors, give her treatment of 'rest' actually ends up driving her insane as she is interlectually and socially deprived and how that mere fact reveals attitudes and values that the men basically did not know what they were talking about medically. i dno, sound about right???
    help, im dying here!!!!x
    Tht looks pretty good to me binky, i think now its just tieing all info together to give a logical enough conclusion and bring out the right angles rather than just listing ideas that go nowhere

ReputationRep:
    i recon by using the coathanger idea, you should be able to asociate all the texts with the subject, even if only by a brief mention. That way, you'll get credit for using all teh texts, identifying teh coathanger, and comparing them well. Thats what im going to do.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is theres no extra points for using all the texts. Using ur time for a really focussed analysis of just a couple of texts in comparison with the two exam texts using an appropriate angle of mental disorders would be better i think.
    Unless of course you can get a good analysis of each text in in the time given. Thatd b great.
    Each to their own i guess. Good luck all. Any depth on text 4 lexis, syntax etc and any angles for text 5 would be appreciated. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cagz00)
    Hey Emmz! I'm afraid we can't be so sure about the marks scheme. In our English lessons we covered two years mark schemes and we saw that one and went WOO! Then the next one was from another year and the boundaries were like nearer 55-65 points for an A. Then we all cried.
    They change every year depending on how well we do as a country. If we all do crap then they lower the boundaries! But don't take that advice!
    So what angles are you taking on mental disorders? Found any common themes in them?
    hey yeah i'd thought of that too but jan 04 and june 03 were even lower marks than for this one. the higest the mark boundary for an A started was 49 in Jan 03 (i didn't have that mark scheme til just) so thats not too bad still, and it seems to be declining slowly (we must be getting dumber) so even though i know it could change i'm not expectin MAJOR differences (i hope, i hope, i hope)

ReputationRep:
    any one got any big, important quotes from specific texts?
    Maybe we should look for the 5 biggest from each text? What you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aplin)
    any one got any big, important quotes from specific texts?
    Maybe we should look for the 5 biggest from each text? What you think?
    i have a terrible feeling that thousnads of people seeing this site will write the same stuff, n theyll find out and we'll all be failed cus its supposed to be all of our own work! bad idea to do that!i know it porbs wudnt happen, but its scary.
    ps, i do not get the coathanger approach very well, but, i think people basically subconsciously do it sort of anyway if that makes any sense.we all write more about one than the other then link it- ish.

ReputationRep:
    guess its possible...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    i have a terrible feeling that thousnads of people seeing this site will write the same stuff, n theyll find out and we'll all be failed cus its supposed to be all of our own work! bad idea to do that!i know it porbs wudnt happen, but its scary.
    ps, i do not get the coathanger approach very well, but, i think people basically subconsciously do it sort of anyway if that makes any sense.we all write more about one than the other then link it- ish.
    dont say such things

i can see what ur saying coz i'd be cautious about taking great chunks of stuff but so long as you are using it as an ideas bank, something to get ur own thoughts flowing then you've got no problem. i'm just lookin at whats on here and thinking 'yeah thats good but...' or 'nah dont think so...' and as a result i start to think of other things and go of at different angles which helps me explore the texts in different ways.

as reagrds to all writing the same thing - that'll never happen. remember your critical approaches and how each reader responds differently to a text (reader response)...well thats us. we all may have been trained by the course to look for things which might help us to see another perspective but in the end our own atts and vals and our experiences will shape our essay just as much as what we find in the text. besides, i challenge anyone to memorise everthing on this site and regurgitate it in an essay...its impossible.

finally the only stipulation is NOT to discuss it with teachers (and we all know that wont happen - teachers are too honest for their own good sometimes...damn!). seriously i dont think there is a single person taking this exam who wont have discussed it with their friends. a lot of examiners are teachers, so they know that we'll discuss it and a lot of teachers suggest this approach. the only difference is that we are communicating online instead (oh and im sure there are loads of people reading this who aren't members too)

dont stress.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this is just an online revision session innit? There's no cheating going on.

So the Coathanger approach, is that an actual approach, or is it just the name someone's teacher came up with? To be fair, I don't think it'll matter all that much and the examiner would probably give us the credit for coming up with an original approach, but, I'd like to know anywho.

ReputationRep:
    i think its a made up name for the technique coz i'd neva heard of it b4. dont quote me on that tho

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.