Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Lang / Lit ~ Pre-Relase Case Study (June 14th 2005) watch

ReputationRep:
    exactly unless you have the same brain as the person who has come up with the same idea then there is just no way you could portray it as well as the person who thought of it, n if theres a right answer surely every1 is going to say the same thing (who gets it right) what wud be wrong is for us all to create the perfect answer n memorise it word for word but we arnt doin that so its cool!

ReputationRep:
    Plus there's the two other texts that we're meant to write about half our answer based on, which we'd all deal with differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheekeh)
    Plus there's the two other texts that we're meant to write about half our answer based on, which we'd all deal with differently.
    exactly...i'm sure its fine. the site wouldn't exist if it wasn't allowed or the moderators would close the link. this site was running for last years pre release too so....

ReputationRep:
    OK... so, anyone wanna have a go at some important quotes from each text? I will try the same and post them later. If we all post as many as possible then we can choose the best ones individually and thats not cheating... just discussing
    OK I will post mine tommorow morning or late tonight

ReputationRep:
    We're all in the same boat & there's nothing wrong with discussing our ideas it's what all people are doing off-line anyway!
    I can't believe it's only two days away. I have only analysed two texts!
    What's everyones favourite text? Mines Text 3 - the Bob Monkhouse one, i think it's funny! I guess i'll be blabbing about that one alot!
    The Yellow Wallpaper one sounds really confusing, i keep reading different reviews n ideas on it & have no idea what character is who, and who actually exists!!

ReputationRep:
    Here are some thoughts on what I think are important quotes from Lear:

Lear: Shakespeare uses a lot of fierce imagery and words with powerful connotations but nothing captures the sheer raging power of the storm as these two:

"Vaunt-curriers of oak-cleaving thunderbolts," "Strike flat the thick roundity o'the world."

Also I think the attitudes and values are summed up well in line 24 "O, ho 'Tis foul!"
    And line 60 "I am a man more sinned against than sinning." reveals the attitude that mental illness is more of a burden on the person in question than the person is on society. Or this may just be an attemt to create sympathy for the King.

Line 70 "My wits begin to turn" is a clear signifier of Lears decent into madness, the Fool becomes quite prominent after this line.

Anyone agree/disagree??

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone! im brand spankin new here all ur post are really great! dead helpful, but im really struggling on question2. we never did anything on it in class cos the teacher said that it was easy and u can plan most of it, but i dont have a clue what im doing!
    Could someone tell me what analyitical methods you could use for the preseen texts?

what ive got so far is literary/linguistic/new historism approach for Lear
    Femenist/literary for Yellow wallpaper

and i dont even know what to do with the others... soooo confused

ReputationRep:
    Stevie! At the start of this thread, page one there is a link to "how to answer question 1 and mostly 2" its dead helpfull. O

ReputationRep:
    Is any one decided what the actual theme is yet?
    Different States of Mind
    Abnormalities
    Mental Instability

Any one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aplin)
    Is any one decided what the actual theme is yet?
    Different States of Mind
    Abnormalities
    Mental Instability

Any one?
    It's all about the way peoples minds work and how they are affected and react, so mental instability is probably more suitable i think? Considering people becoming obsessive for example, or acting in abnormal ways due to the state they are in. Mental instability seems appropriate because they are acting instable due to their mental state.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any notes on Text 4? It's hard to go about analysing it, and i think it will be hard to use in our exam but will be good if used as a coathanger (i understand it now ). Also does anyone have any notes on Text 5? I know little about radiohead or mojo magazine so am abit baffled.

ReputationRep:
    thanx! right i got another stupid question: when your writting up question 1 in the exam should we talk about a theme such as "how relationships with family members affact mental instability" write how the relevent texts demonstrate this and then move onto another theme. Or are you guys gona write about each text sepearately? for example how text 1 responds to the theme of mental instability followed by text 2...

Hopes that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    I find it easier to write about each text seperately but i don't know what's considered the best thing to do! Btw, Can someone give a general brief over view of what a coat hanger approach is, please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saree)
    I find it easier to write about each text seperately but i don't know what's considered the best thing to do! Btw, Can someone give a general brief over view of what a coat hanger approach is, please?
    its considered best to write about atts n vals in all, then lang funcs in all, etc- shows more complex structure- also easier to show the comparisons as you go along to drum into the examiners mind that u r focusing on comparisons- which is the main thing "explicit comparisons"

ReputationRep:
    What is the number of texts you'd suggest writing about? I don't think I can analyse in enough detail to just do 2 or 3 texts from the Pre-Release. I have things to say about all of them, would that lose me marks? Do they want you to concentrate on just 2 texts from the PR?

ReputationRep:
    People... please I beg of you can you give me some attitudes and values of each one? I really... really.... really... struggle with attitudes and values so any obvious ones would be much, much appriciated ^^

ReputationRep:
    i write mostly about each seperately but with little linking paragraphs of comparison.

like: text one is blah blah blah blah blah blah blah because of whatever and whatever. it shares blah in common with text 2 and 3 because of this but ..... all nonsense really. i crack under pressure so my essays are usually a mixture of desperately trying to find my technique combined with whatever pops into my head.

attitudes are the things that society believes
    vlaues are things that a person values (funnily enough) but this means that they are always positive.

the example i read somewhere was that society might have the attitude that sex before marriage is ok. then some people in society will hold the value that sex before marriage is ok. for others the value may me no sex before marriage.

haven't really applied this to the texts yet but in each case look at the background to the text and what this might suggest about attitudes of society to maddness (is it old fashioned etc) and whether the author's values are the same or sifferent from this.

hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't read the texts. I promise i will post something useful when i have. xx

ReputationRep:
    Most of the attitudes and values are towards the perception of mental illness. E.g. in Yellow paper, you are locked away if you appear to deviate from social norms etc. It is seen as a negative thing. Overall, mental illness is not regarded as being a positive thing except perhaps in Mojo, as Cottonmouth put, they believe it is the catalyst for creativity.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher told me that the whole attitudes and values thing has been abandoned because they're hard to differentiate between. Now they're attitudes/values rather than attitudes AND values.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.