IB or A-levels. Which is harder? Watch

sncars123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I do IB so I'm more convinced to think that IB is harder but obviously there are going to be varying opinions. It just seems that there are so many people out there with three perfect As and fewer IB students with 7s in their higher level subjects.
mysticalfluffy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
depends what subjects and how many you study at a level...
sncars123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Well, for Maths, chem and Physics
maxfire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
From what I've heard, IB is much harder than A Levels. Don't quote me on that, though, I haven't had any experience with the IB.
HiBear
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Please use the search engine there have been countless discussions on this, mostly ending with a heated argument rather than a discussion.

You will also see that everyone has different views and different programmes fit different people.
llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT!
swirlypop
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, IB is much harder. In A-levels you study 3 subjects (or is it 4?) but in IB you have to study 6 subjects and each subject is hard as hell. The past papers nearly killed me. But apparently, IB is more international and more colleges approve and prefer of it
CocoPop
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For maths, chem and physics:

IB is WAYYYYYY harder to get 7s in all 3 of those as opposed to getting top grades at A level. Around 4-8% of students get 7s in those subjects at IB, as opposed to 30% getting As at A level. Then you get doubly screwed over in university admissions if you are offered a place on the condition of achieving 7s in all of those subjects.
SuicidalLemming
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As someone who's done both..definitely IB.
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sncars123)
Well, for Maths, chem and Physics
Many people who want to study these subjects would also want to study either Further Maths or Biology. Since it is not possible to do either 3 sciences or Further Maths and 2 sciences within the 6 subjects of IB, those people would choose to do A levels rather than IB.
Roundabout
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The content of IB courses is not necessarily any harder than the content of A-levels, but the difficulty comes from A-level students being given a lot more teaching hours. I had 3 hours a week of Maths, and I did it at HL. I've heard that A-level students taking for instance A-level Maths + AS FM (roughly equivalent in content to IB HL Maths) had nearly 10 hours of Maths a week.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
neither.
Lrilol
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would say IB allows students to stretch further(7's) but as far as I know 7's generally aren't expected by uni's so that's pointless except for the most competitive of courses. from a small bit of research it seems for the equivalent of an A uni's accept a 6. Don't expect 100% accuracy but it seems roughly right for the few I checked.
SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've never personally done IB, but I have heard that the IB is more demanding.
muhammadayubi
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
well
muhammadayubi
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
alevel is much harder
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by muhammadayubi)
well
alevel is much harder
was it worth posting on a 9 y/o thread only to say absolute crap?
muhammadayubi
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
alevel subjects are in more depth well u cannot say IB is that easy but comparatively alevel is much harder u can compare any particular alevel subjects with IB subjects like alevel futher math or chemistry with ib math or chemistry. case is not that students give more subjects in IB if one is arguing that more giving more subjects make an examination board harder so u can also say that olevel or igcse are much more harder than alevel truly thats not a valid point which u all are making.alevel students give more time towards studies rather than IB students Conclusively alevel is very much harder tha IB
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
alevel subjects are in more depth well u cannot say IB is that easy but comparatively alevel is much harder u can compare any particular alevel subjects with IB subjects like alevel futher math or chemistry with ib math or chemistry. case is not that students give more subjects in IB if one is arguing that more giving more subjects make an examination board harder so u can also say that olevel or igcse are much more harder than alevel truly thats not a valid point which u all are making.alevel students give more time towards studies rather than IB students Conclusively alevel is very much harder tha IB
I don't think what you're saying is entirely correct. HL Maths has more advanced content than A Level Further Maths does. HL Chemistry has very similar content to A Level Chemistry, but the questions are more challenging because they are not given to you step by step, as they are in A Levels. The 'depth' of higher level subjects is generally equivalent to A levels - the depth of standard level subjects generally a little less.

Having gone to a school where it was IB and A Levels being run simultaneously I don't think there's anybody who didn't feel the IB was tougher. The workload is certainly much higher and also includes a whole extra-curricular workload with volunteering, the extended essay and so on. My friends who did A Levels had loads of free periods in a week to do their work in, whereas on the IB side we often had lessons during lunchtime in order to squeeze in 6 subjects worth of lessons plus TOK. They spent their weekends relaxing, whereas I spent my weekend folding smelly clothes in the charity shop for 'service' and then going running for 'action' and after school I had to do even more stuff for 'creativity' to get my hours. It was exhausting and quite miserable.
medreams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
IB is way harder bc of all the extra s**t you have to do (EE <3). Wouldn't change it for A -levels tho
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (404)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1035)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (483)
22.22%
It was TERRIBLE (252)
11.59%

Watched Threads