Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, just a couple of questions to make sure i'm going in the right direction!!

firstly, in the exam do you use wider reading in sections a) and b) or just b)?

secondly, we've been advised to use 'critical approaches', does this include the use of critical quotes to learn?

thanx!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caffecooki)
    hey, just a couple of questions to make sure i'm going in the right direction!!

firstly, in the exam do you use wider reading in sections a) and b) or just b)?

secondly, we've been advised to use 'critical approaches', does this include the use of critical quotes to learn?

thanx!!!!!!!!
    Wider reading is needed just in Question B and this is also stated in the exam paper. By critical approaches it means looking at it from different angles; such as a femininist angle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxox)
    Wider reading is needed just in Question B and this is also stated in the exam paper. By critical approaches it means looking at it from different angles; such as a femininist angle.
    oh right, cool, so that means i don't have to find specific critics and quote them- just a variety of approaches?

ReputationRep:
    oh right, cool, so that means i don't have to find specific critics and quote them- just a variety of approaches?
    Yes I don't think they want the other critic's opinions; they want YOUR opinion. But your teacher must have told you to read up on other critic's views to help form your own opinion. The only quotes you need to learn are from the wider reading. At least as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxox)
    Yes I don't think they want the other critic's opinions; they want YOUR opinion. But your teacher must have told you to read up on other critic's views to help form your own opinion. The only quotes you need to learn are from the wider reading. At least as far as I know.
    yay ok thanx v much!! i've been thinkin about my revision and notes and we have a USELESS teacher basically. we were given a photocopy of a critical extract but we were never advised to use them as guidance or to quote?? :confused:
    thanx for sorting that out for me!!

ReputationRep:
    No problem. And my teachers were useless as hell too. Just gave us a reading list and told us to get on with it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    is this AQA specification A (Eng lit)? im doing B and we're told not to do any wide reading, but thats different. tho you are talking about Specification A though?

ReputationRep:
    This is Spec A, the war literature paper. No critics are needed as far as I know, at least, I didn't use any and I got myself full marks.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it's spec A
    i'm getting quite stressed about the exam now as our teacher's barely been at hand at all, but mxox refered to approaches such as the feminist approach, i'm not entirely sure about this area!!
    would anyone be able to briefly give me an idea of approaches i could use, or a link to anywhere i could find that info??
    thanx!!

ReputationRep:
    I personally haven't come across any obviously feminist literature in any books, plays or novels (with the exception of Testament of Youth), but it's easily overlooked I guess I just know general stuff about women having more freedom etc. etc., as Jessie Pope talks about in 'War Girls', although that's not really feminist. I guess your main one with that would be Vera Brittain, training as a nurse and going abroad to help, although that's a bit general!

In approaches it might be helpful to set things against each other to get a rounded argument, like civilians vs soldiers, upper classes vs lower classes, young vs old, males vs females, romantic vs reality and stuff. Then you can bring in typicality and stuff pretty easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenni_Kitten)
    I personally haven't come across any obviously feminist literature in any books, plays or novels (with the exception of Testament of Youth), but it's easily overlooked I guess I just know general stuff about women having more freedom etc. etc., as Jessie Pope talks about in 'War Girls', although that's not really feminist. I guess your main one with that would be Vera Brittain, training as a nurse and going abroad to help, although that's a bit general!

In approaches it might be helpful to set things against each other to get a rounded argument, like civilians vs soldiers, upper classes vs lower classes, young vs old, males vs females, romantic vs reality and stuff. Then you can bring in typicality and stuff pretty easily.
    thanx- that's been a great help

does anyone have a model answer or anything you're willing to show me to an exam question, grade A-C that i could have a look at? pleas please please

ReputationRep:
    thanx- that's been a great help

does anyone have a model answer or anything you're willing to show me to an exam question, grade A-C that i could have a look at? pleas please please
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5741-6741-NL.pdf

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.