Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 at the moment, so I'd be applying to uni next year. I'm hellbent on studying dentistry at uni Just wanted to know what you think...

I've completed three work experience placements in general dental practices and spent a day in the Glasgow Dental Hospital and School. I'm hoping to apply for more. I've got six straight Standard Grade 1's (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Art, French, no English because I bypassed straight to Higher level) I play guitar and bass guitar, love art and expressive drawing so I'm pretty dextrous. The Highers I'm doing are English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Art (Is art a good choice for showing dexterity?) Over the years I've won prizes for art and design, german, effort, academic achievement (x2) and best all round pupil in the year. I've had two positions of responsibility as form captain and form charity representative. Does this look like a good application or is there anything I should do to improve my chances???

What sort of things do they ask you at the interview? What's the setting like? What sort of things should you write on your personal statement? I understand physics is very important so should I do that higher next year? would psychology higher be a good choice? What about A-level biology and advanced higher chem?

Thanks! x

(GCSE is the English equivalent to Standard Grade, A-Level is the English equivalent to Higher )

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell...puts the rest of us in shame.

Ur just what the dental sch's are looking for...

ReputationRep:
    Really? That's what the uni's said! lol! Just gotta get my A's though, which will be tough.

I just really can't believe that I would get in. The uni I most principally want to apply to take in 80 from 800 :eek:

I think you just paid me the biggest compliment I've ever recieved :P

ReputationRep:
    Really!

Which uni are u after?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to apply to four. I'd love to go to Glasgow Uni because I know my way around there, but after that Dundee, Newcastle, Manchester.

Is there anything u recommend doing so that I have even better chances of getting in (provided I get good grades though)

ReputationRep:
    just keep up the work ex really, they like that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    I'm going to apply to four. I'd love to go to Glasgow Uni because I know my way around there, but after that Dundee, Newcastle, Manchester.

Is there anything u recommend doing so that I have even better chances of getting in (provided I get good grades though)

yeah, buy a mini dental surgery set from woolworths or toys'r' us

ReputationRep:
    yeah, buy a mini dental surgery set from woolworths or toys'r' us
    :rolleyes: What's with the attitude?

ReputationRep:
    What about King's?

:rolleyes: What's with the attitude?
    He's just kidding mate, take it easy!

ReputationRep:
    lol am sorry, I thought he was ****ging me off. I know the stigma newbies have on forums like this.

I hear a lot about Kings but I've never heard of it? Where is it? What's good about it?

I wanna go to Glasgow since I live there and wouldn't have to get a job, just live off my parents

ReputationRep:
    I hear a lot about Kings but I've never heard of it? Where is it? What's good about it?

I wanna go to Glasgow since I live there and wouldn't have to get a job, just live off my parents
    Well you're obviously limited with a subject like dentistry - there are only a few institutions in the country really. Have a look here http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...663461,00.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Well you're obviously limited with a subject like dentistry - there are only a few institutions in the country really. Have a look here http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...663461,00.html
    and hav a look here....http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html

kings is soooooooooooooooooooooo the best

ReputationRep:
    How many do kings take in?

Glasgow and Dundee are my top two for sure, I'd like to stay in the country!

Do any of you have a comment on what will be my application?

ReputationRep:
    How many do kings take in?

Glasgow and Dundee are my top two for sure, I'd like to stay in the country!

Do any of you have a comment on what will be my application?
    kings!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile of the school (figures are indicative)
    Students admitted to BDS: 145
    International students intake to BDS: 10
    Applicants per place for BDS: 5
    Students admitted to foundation course: 10
    Applicants per place for foundation course: 10
    Students admitted to BSc Oral Health: 12
    Students admitted to Dental Hygiene Diploma: 22

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ugp04/programme.php?getid=88

ReputationRep:
    London is a great place to live as well.

ReputationRep:
    whoa they take in 145?! I thought Glasgow was a huge class at 80! Dundee only take in 40.

ReputationRep:
    "I hear a lot about Kings but I've never heard of it?"

You're not thinking of running for President of the U.S.A anytime soon, are you?

ReputationRep:
    That should have been I'd never heard of it, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    hey jungle monkey i have applied to Glasgow uni for dentistry. How is the dental school and the hospital. Do you know any of the admission staff, if you do what are they like? I have got my interview next month

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.