Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've actually been curious - not about using it - but more about - how on earth is it practical? :confused:

Eg, my thought is this - public loos - you go in one cubicle, you take your mooncup out, now you must clean it before re-inserting it, surely? Now in public loos, you don't always get sinks inside your cubicle. So you have to do up your trousers etc (and therefore staining a LOT), go out and then empty your period blood in front of the glorious public :rolleyes: Then you go back in and re-insert.

Now, case scenario number 2 - what if there was a queue, as is often the case with the ladies anyway? So you come out to wash your vaginal blood in front of 5 other women :rolleyes: THEN you queue for another 5/10min just to get back into the cubicle to re-insert your mooncup. And within that period of time, depending on when it is during your week, you may or may not get horribly horribly stained.

So now, unless you wanna spend £30 buying 2 mooncups (and even then you'd still need to wash the dirty one in the public sink, so the public would STILL see your vaginal blood - unless of course, you wanna wrap it up and put it, along with vaginal blood and all, into your handbag, which is less embarrassing and really quite unpleasant!) - so anyway, unless you wanna buy 2, which remains to be inconvenient and embarrassing, how is it practical?

I'm not trying to bash mooncups - I'm just genuinely curious as to how people who use mooncups get pass these kinda things?

ReputationRep:
    well. there's two solutions, iris.

one, which i prefer, is to take a small bottle of water around with you, thereby providing a portable means to wash out your mooncup INSIDE the cubicle.

OR you simply use toilet tissue, which is perfectly effective, and then wash it out properly next time you get to a toilet with a private sink. believe me, you soon get to remember where the best loos are! but with a bottle of water it hardly matters!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by irisng)
    I've actually been curious - not about using it - but more about - how on earth is it practical? :confused:

Eg, my thought is this - public loos - you go in one cubicle, you take your mooncup out, now you must clean it before re-inserting it, surely? Now in public loos, you don't always get sinks inside your cubicle. So you have to do up your trousers etc (and therefore staining a LOT), go out and then empty your period blood in front of the glorious public :rolleyes: Then you go back in and re-insert.

Now, case scenario number 2 - what if there was a queue, as is often the case with the ladies anyway? So you come out to wash your vaginal blood in front of 5 other women :rolleyes: THEN you queue for another 5/10min just to get back into the cubicle to re-insert your mooncup. And within that period of time, depending on when it is during your week, you may or may not get horribly horribly stained.

So now, unless you wanna spend £30 buying 2 mooncups (and even then you'd still need to wash the dirty one in the public sink, so the public would STILL see your vaginal blood - unless of course, you wanna wrap it up and put it, along with vaginal blood and all, into your handbag, which is less embarrassing and really quite unpleasant!) - so anyway, unless you wanna buy 2, which remains to be inconvenient and embarrassing, how is it practical?

I'm not trying to bash mooncups - I'm just genuinely curious as to how people who use mooncups get pass these kinda things?
    Unless you have a very heavy period, you'll never need to change it in a public toilet. I've been using mine for a year and a half and I've never needed to change it in a public toilet.

Why would you need to empty it in a sink? :confused: There's a toilet right there!!!

ReputationRep:
    quite. or just avoid public toilets! but sometime you can't in which case use my suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    just wow. <3 you are ****ing wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    When I was reading the review, I was picturing some kind of giant funnel without the tube at the end but it's actually pretty small. I might try it if they sold it in shops.

ReputationRep:
    boots sell it, it's near the tampons/towels.

ReputationRep:
    I'm liking the idea of this- saves lots of money! But do you think I would have problems using it with a septate hymen? I've never had any problems with tampons, but it sounds like the mooncup is bigger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Albatross)
    well. there's two solutions, iris.

one, which i prefer, is to take a small bottle of water around with you, thereby providing a portable means to wash out your mooncup INSIDE the cubicle.

OR you simply use toilet tissue, which is perfectly effective, and then wash it out properly next time you get to a toilet with a private sink. believe me, you soon get to remember where the best loos are! but with a bottle of water it hardly matters!
    Bottle of water - lol should've thought of that actually. I guess I didn't cus my handbag isn't big enough.

And as to someone else who's said why I'd need to change it - well, I guess it saw it as like pads where you have to change every time you went to the loo.

The tissue option sounds unpleasant. I hate it enough cleaning up myself, let alone a cup lol.

Either way I'm a virgin so my hymen would still be there so mooncup isn't really an option anyway. I'm thinking of switching to tampons though... cus mum only ever taught me pads when I was 11 and I've stuck with pads since. I worry that I'd insert it wrong and it'd leak, or that it'd hurt though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Bottle of water - lol should've thought of that actually. I guess I didn't cus my handbag isn't big enough.

And as to someone else who's said why I'd need to change it - well, I guess it saw it as like pads where you have to change every time you went to the loo.

The tissue option sounds unpleasant. I hate it enough cleaning up myself, let alone a cup lol.

Either way I'm a virgin so my hymen would still be there so mooncup isn't really an option anyway. I'm thinking of switching to tampons though... cus mum only ever taught me pads when I was 11 and I've stuck with pads since. I worry that I'd insert it wrong and it'd leak, or that it'd hurt though :confused:
    I was a virgin when I started using the mooncup, admittedly I ahd been using tampons for a while before I started using a mooncup. Just because youre a virgin doesnt mean that your hymen s still there - it can be broken during exercise or other such things.

With the bottle of water - its doesnt even ahve to be a large bottle of water, just like a little 100ml bottle that you can squirt some water on et voila! I've never had to use a public toilet to empty my mooncup. I did have to use the school loos, but in that case I emptied it down the loo[like usual] and wiped it with some loo rolla dn cleaned it when I got home. Even on my heaviest days I dont need to change it [on a normal day] till mid-afternoon, and usually i go from jsut before my morning shower, to when I go to bed...

ReputationRep:
    I've NEVER had to empty my divacup (another brand of mooncup, kinda like the difference between coke and pepsi) in a public toilet. Once in the day when I get home from work, once when I wake up in the morning and that's it And it's NEVER leaked, not once Sooo much better than tampons!

ReputationRep:
    Ok ive got my mooncup, and im on.. i can put it in ok, (just about) but removing it.. OWWW! Normally i dont like the sight of blood and stuff, but i was fine with that.. it was the pain! I cant seem to stop the vacuum seal.. i like break it, and then move the cup a little, and it forms again. All the stuff ive read on the website is saying like its easy to put it.. yeah, but you can get the thing out easily!! grrr anyway sorry im having a rant. Ive read a few tips ^^ up there so ill give them a go. Thanks people.
    The weird thing is im so in love with the IDEA of it, after i had taken it out and emptyed it (with all tha pain arrg) i wanted to put it in again! haha im strange.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has convinced me, so I'm looking forward to trying it out when it arrives. This will hopefully help save embarrassment of leaks when you don't change your pad everytime you go to the loo. Also looking forward to not having to buy a pack every month or so and I'm helping the environment, Woo.

ReputationRep:
    i got mine the other day, using it now for the first time!
    has anyone ever lost one when going to the loo? when I go, I feel like it's on the move lol!

great tip tho, buy some of those like rubber gloves, you know the really thin ones they have on csi or whatever (hah) then you won't be so grossed out by the blood. It made all the difference for me!

ReputationRep:
    i just bought one! it's huge aah! lol. haven't used it yet but i hope all goes well...

ReputationRep:
    what the in gods name is a mooncup?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why post in a thread if you're not going to even bother reading the first five lines of the original post?

ReputationRep:
    just tried it! i got it in and out ok, but ive read that people couldnt even tell it was there wheras i could feel it and wasnt sure if i liked it! does that mean it wasnt positioned right?
    oh and also mine looks slightly yellow even though its new, is this right?

ReputationRep:
    Have you boiled it to sterilise it?

I always forget its in cause you cant feel it all!! Theyre just a boss contraption I think you need to form a seal so you can't feel it, stick your finger in and run it round the cups rim to make it pop out and form a seal.
    It is kind of cool in a weird kind of way to see whats been lurking in your uterus..I know thats kind of sick!

ReputationRep:
    Mine was yellow too... I really like it. And I agree, there is a sort of wierd fascination... my biology teacher once told me that women didn't even bleed enough to fill an eggcup... I have disproved that!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.