Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeah its the best thing. The old fashioned methods are so degrading. I could never go back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokissme18)
    is the stem might to be sticking out at all once it's in, or should you not be able to see anything?
    you shouldn't really be able to see it, but if you find it comfy with it out, then fair enough. I can't think it'll feel nice at all with the stem out. it's more important not to *feel* anything.

Anon, as its a personal issue, delete thread if necessary.

Has anyone tried these? Ive worn tampons rarely (when I have swimming training). I have always tried to steer clear of tampons where possible, as my mother had toxic shock syndrome.

However wearing pads is inconvienient and it kind of feels unhygienic. If anyone does wear these "mooncups" are they difficult to insert/remove, do they work and are they uncomfortable?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    I use one, and it's the best invention ever. I used to use pads until a few months ago, but would never go back to them. I don't have to worry about anything at all with the Mooncup, it might as well not be there.

Before I got one, I had a look at this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ad#post2060328

It has all the info you could need.

ReputationRep:
    hi people, im sure this has been covered before, but ive started going swimming again.. and want to be able to go when im on.. ive heard that the mooncup works while you swim, but i need a bit of convincing... anything i need to bare in mind, or just go for it?

ReputationRep:
    AHH last night i tried using my mooncup, and i thought i had it in ok, then as i was walking i suddenly felt it move. i could not get it out! it had somehow turned around, and wasn't upright anymore, so i couldn't grab the stem/anything to get it out. i tried soo many times and just could not get it out. in the end my boyfriend helped me, which wasn't all that pleasant for either of us, and he eventually got it out. i really want the mooncup to work with me, but i think i'm too scared to try again after last night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cabbage)
    hi people, im sure this has been covered before, but ive started going swimming again.. and want to be able to go when im on.. ive heard that the mooncup works while you swim, but i need a bit of convincing... anything i need to bare in mind, or just go for it?
    Perhaps try on one of your lighter days?
    Can't see it being a problem though, its quite firmly stuck in there! It must be alot more secure than tampons that always leaked for me!

ReputationRep:
    AHH last night i tried using my mooncup, and i thought i had it in ok, then as i was walking i suddenly felt it move. i could not get it out! it had somehow turned around, and wasn't upright anymore, so i couldn't grab the stem/anything to get it out. i tried soo many times and just could not get it out. in the end my boyfriend helped me, which wasn't all that pleasant for either of us, and he eventually got it out. i really want the mooncup to work with me, but i think i'm too scared to try again after last night!
    Ouch that sounds nasty!
    I have to say that has never happened to me before, and I've never heard anyone mention a similar problem on here before.
    At least you got it out is the main thing
    I think you just cannot have inserted it right, maybe it was in the wrong place so wasnt filled out and lining you properly, if you get what I mean, maybe one of the sides was bent, thus allowing it to move. I always make sure mine is in place properly in full shape before really moving.
    Definitely try again, it is worth it once you get used to inserting and removing it properly

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I'll have got mine in the posttoday, if not tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    keep trying! You've just spent £20 on the damn thing, might as well use it lol!
    but seriously, you probably had it in wrong..that's the only thing I could imagine happened, sure it won't happen again

ReputationRep:
    I remember when I started tampons, I could feel them too, but with repeated use, I guess I just got used to them and can't feel them at all. Maybe it's the same.
    I'm not sure whether to get one. It's really expensive if I don't get to like it.
    I also do LOADS of exercise, lots of dance and some gymnastics etc, so am doing a lot of handstands and stuff, so not am a bit freaked by the backflow issue.
    We should have a poll, those who have tried and liked and those who have tried and disliked

ReputationRep:
    Got mine in the post this morning. tried it a couple of times, period not die for a couple of weeks but getting used to it. It is SO easy. Taking to it like a duck to water.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has pushed me a little more towards buying one...
    Many pros - thinking about all the money I will save at uni, and I hate it when a tampon is too dry. bleh.
    Though I am on the pill so my periods aren't very heavy so I think this should be a good investment.

I have a question though : How does one go about sterilising it?
    By using boiling water and just wash it with it? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glowstix)
    Many pros - thinking about all the money I will save at uni, and I hate it when a tampon is too dry. bleh.
    Though I am on the pill so my periods aren't very heavy so I think this should be a good investment.

Ditto for that exact reason.

Some of my friends have a kitchen pan they use especially for washing their mooncup.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a recent mooncup convert and all I can say is that I am SO glad that I decided to give it a try. When I read about them, I thought they seemed a bit gross, and when it arrived I was kind of thinking, "how do I get THAT inside?!". But then my period arrived and I just felt so comfortable the whole way through. Mooncups are absolutely brilliant - why doesn't everyone have them?! I will definitely be using them for all my periods ever after...

ReputationRep:
    If that happens, you should be able to "push" it down using your muscles, do you know what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glowstix)

I sterilise mine using cold water sterilising tabs from the baby section in boots. They're gentle enough to use because they're meant for sterilising baby bottles etc.
    Just pop your mooncup in a bowl with one of the tabs for half an hour they're pretty cheap as well, and you get loads in a packet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    I sterilise mine using cold water sterilising tabs from the baby section in boots. They're gentle enough to use because they're meant for sterilising baby bottles etc.
    Just pop your mooncup in a bowl with one of the tabs for half an hour they're pretty cheap as well, and you get loads in a packet.
    yea, I use denture sterilising tablets (that was fun to buy!!)
    I don't like boiling mine, I'm worried it will damage the rubber, make it more brittle you know?

ReputationRep:
    I've only ever boiled mine and it doesn't seem to have come to any harm. It needs to boil for 5 minutes or so, I think.

With the sterilising tablets, how much water do you have to add?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I've only ever boiled mine and it doesn't seem to have come to any harm. It needs to boil for 5 minutes or so, I think.

With the sterilising tablets, how much water do you have to add?
    I think it tells you on the box.
    I dont pay attention to it, I just run enough water in the sink to cover the mooncup and put a tablet in the water and leave it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.