Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agrippina)
    If that happens, you should be able to "push" it down using your muscles, do you know what I mean?
    yeah i tried doing that, but it didn't move! it was too stuck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    I think it tells you on the box.
    I dont pay attention to it, I just run enough water in the sink to cover the mooncup and put a tablet in the water and leave it.
    Ah. I wouldn't want to leave it in a sink - the reason I'm investigating tablets is because I want to avoid any more of those awkward/surreal kitchen conversations that begin with the innocent query, 'What's that you're cooking?'. I think random things left in sinks would probably be even harder to casually explain...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    Ah. I wouldn't want to leave it in a sink - the reason I'm investigating tablets is because I want to avoid any more of those awkward/surreal kitchen conversations that begin with the innocent query, 'What's that you're cooking?'. I think random things left in sinks would probably be even harder to casually explain...
    True. Its completely up to you where you leave it. I leave mine in the sink at Uni because I have a private one in my room.
    However, at home, it would indeed be a different story....

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really work either way... there are 3 males here and 3 at home, and I'm sure each one's eyebrows would disappear just as far into their hairline if they discovered my mooncup bobbing about in the bathroom sink. *sigh* the delights of not having my own sink :rolleyes:
    Could you get away with using a large tumbler or a jug, or would that be too small? I'm just thinking, I could keep everything away from flatmates/family's sensitive eyes then.

ReputationRep:
    Just buy like a mixing bowl or something?

ReputationRep:
    haha , i use like an old mug or something (the kind I use to hold water when I'm working, not the kind i drink from!)

keeps it pretty discreet...although that may not be enough water

ReputationRep:
    I've just bought one - ahhh. Anyways, trying to sterilise it before I start using it, if you know detol, do you think I could use that, diluted, or very diluted sergical spirit. Could I just leave it in some boiled water in a cup or something for a bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatchDancer)
    I've just bought one - ahhh. Anyways, trying to sterilise it before I start using it, if you know detol, do you think I could use that, diluted, or very diluted sergical spirit. Could I just leave it in some boiled water in a cup or something for a bit?
    NOT Dettol!!! Jesus......:eek:
    Boiled water will do!

ReputationRep:
    *seeks relief amongst people who understand*

why does everyone think mooncups are so disgusting? I just had people tell me that what I do is 'foul' and 'eww'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    *seeks relief amongst people who understand*

why does everyone think mooncups are so disgusting? I just had people tell me that what I do is 'foul' and 'eww'
    =/ It's a lot less 'foul' and 'eew' than tampons. I'm sure there's a very matter-of-fact description of those that highlights their eeeeewness. [We should have a competition for the best sentence highlighting the eeewness of tampons :rolleyes: Or maybe not...]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    =/ It's a lot less 'foul' and 'eew' than tampons. I'm sure there's a very matter-of-fact description of those that highlights their eeeeewness. [We should have a competition for the best sentence highlighting the eeewness of tampons :rolleyes: Or maybe not...]
    I'd rather sterile rubber than bleached rotting cotton

I win :P:

ReputationRep:
    Mooncups are great I love mine, and they are less eww than tampond and a LOT less eww than pads. The blood can be a bit gloopy and not the most pourable fluid in the world but thats what wipes and tissues and water are for

ReputationRep:
    I remembering reading about mooncups on tsr when I was back in sixth form, I told one of my male friends to google it in his study period... Not too sure why but it made a memorable study period for him... This thread just reminded me of it! And we're still the best o' friends lol... I'm so immature

I think I might get one, boots do them now I believe?

ReputationRep:
    I bought mine from Boots a couple of years back, and they've got them on the website as well.

Lol, I can't believe you did that to your mate, by the way. It was entertaining, I had one of my mates over and we were messing about online, and I started typing in some website beginning with 'www.f', and up pops 'www.freedomfromtampons.co.uk' right at the top of suggestions list. I kind of paused and looked at it, because I'd forgotten about it... then continued typing the other address in fairly hastily.
    Heh... goodness know what he thinks of me...

ReputationRep:
    I got one. My heart was beating so hard the first time I put it in, took quite some guts. Have put it in now twice, just to practice. It really hurt to go in and come out and be in. Great hey. I think it'll take some getting used to. I've cut the stem a bit but think that may be the reason it hurts to be in. Did other people's hurt to be in when the stem was too long? I'm also not sure if I put it in far enough which is why I was a bit dubious about cutting the stem wrongly. I don't want to have wasted £20.

Also, do you still carry around tampons or whatever incase you start unexpectedly?

ReputationRep:
    You need to relax, thats probably the reason its hurting. it can be a little uncomfortable if you leave the stem yes. I always have one pad in my bag just in case. Also I use tampons for swimming because I find the mooncup tends to fill with water. I'm sure its in right because it never leaks but I dont get why this is?

ReputationRep:
    I got one. My heart was beating so hard the first time I put it in, took quite some guts. Have put it in now twice, just to practice. It really hurt to go in and come out and be in. Great hey. I think it'll take some getting used to. I've cut the stem a bit but think that may be the reason it hurts to be in. Did other people's hurt to be in when the stem was too long? I'm also not sure if I put it in far enough which is why I was a bit dubious about cutting the stem wrongly. I don't want to have wasted £20.

Also, do you still carry around tampons or whatever incase you start unexpectedly?
    I cut the stem completely off as when I cut it with scissors it was really sharp round the edges and hurting me.
    See if you can get it out by just going for the bottom of the cup, not the stem. If you can, then cut it off. For me it is perfectly easy to squench your muscles down enough to grab the bottom of the mooncup, and you can't tell when its in there as the stem has gone.

ReputationRep:
    I'm such a convert. I looooove mine. Such a ridiculous decrease in hassle compared to using tampons, in my experience at least.

I assume you first tried it when you weren't on your period? It seemed easier for me, especially when taking it out, when I tried it when I was on.

I just cut off the stem entirely. The base is easy enough to grab considering the mooncup is meant to be positioned quite low.

And no, I can't say I've ever been caught out though. Mine are always super super light at the start.

ReputationRep:
    The lilets/Tampax thread has reinvested my interests in Mooncups. But, I have a few worries/questions, if someone could answer them?

1. Do they leak?!
    2. Are they easy to use?
    3. What happens when you need to clean them (I was told wash before every insertion - Is this right?) and your in a public lav?
    4. Someone once told me the 'stick' on the bottom rubs against your outer walls and is an awful sensation? Is this true? Anything you can do about it? (ie, trimming the stem?)
    5. Are they easy to use?
    6. DO you feel them?
    7. How often do you need to change/empty it?

Omg too many questions!!

ReputationRep:
    My apologises. Totally didn't see the thread. x.x;

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.