Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    My apologises. Totally didn't see the thread. x.x;
    do you still need answers or have you got them now

ReputationRep:
    I've been having problems with my mooncup and gave up but would like to try again. The problem basically is that I have considerable problems removing it. Sorry for the details but I think they're necessary to explain the problem. Well my entrance is quite tight, and in order for the mooncup to open out it is quite far from the outside of my body (i.e. long distance from vaginal lips to wear it sits) so it's hard to grab hold of. Does anyone else have this problem and what have you done to make it work for you?

ReputationRep:
    The lilets/Tampax thread has reinvested my interests in Mooncups. But, I have a few worries/questions, if someone could answer them?

1. Do they leak?! If used properly, they shouldn't leak, but i wear a towel as well just in case. During haevy flow, they do sometimes, but not substantially i.e a pamtyliner is enough..
    2. Are they easy to use? Takes a few days to get used to but i find mine incredibly eeasy to use and don't feel it at all once its in.
    3. What happens when you need to clean them (I was told wash before every insertion - Is this right?) and your in a public lav? I avoid having to clean in pubic loos, but disabled loos of ten have sinks close by. Failing that, a bottle of water in yur bag does the trick.
    4. Someone once told me the 'stick' on the bottom rubs against your outer walls and is an awful sensation? Is this true? Anything you can do about it? (ie, trimming the stem?) Trimming the stem worked fine for me. I dont feel it at all.
    5. Are they easy to use? See above :p:
    6. DO you feel them? Nope.
    7. How often do you need to change/empty it? As often as you change a tampon - obviously depends on flow.

Omg too many questions!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit short on cash. Will a standard egg cup do just as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whistlecru)
    I'm a bit short on cash. Will a standard egg cup do just as well?
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    1. Do they leak?! Mine has never leaked in the year I've had it. And I wear it for like 12 hours at a time
    2. Are they easy to use? Sure are, bit weird at first but you get used to it
    3. What happens when you need to clean them (I was told wash before every insertion - Is this right?) and your in a public lav? I've never had to. They are not associated with TSS so you don't have to change them as regularly. If I needed to I would just use loo roll/bottle of water
    4. Someone once told me the 'stick' on the bottom rubs against your outer walls and is an awful sensation? Is this true? Anything you can do about it? (ie, trimming the stem?) You trim it down so it is comfortable
    6. DO you feel them? I don't
    7. How often do you need to change/empty it? I do mine in the morning and then at night before I go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~~hannah~~)
    I've been having problems with my mooncup and gave up but would like to try again. The problem basically is that I have considerable problems removing it. Sorry for the details but I think they're necessary to explain the problem. Well my entrance is quite tight, and in order for the mooncup to open out it is quite far from the outside of my body (i.e. long distance from vaginal lips to wear it sits) so it's hard to grab hold of. Does anyone else have this problem and what have you done to make it work for you?
    This is probably going to sound a bit weird, but I initially found it harder to get mine out when I'd cut my nails really short. Having just a millimetre of white at the end of the nail can make them very useful; this can help you get the mooncup on its way down. I tend to pinch just above the bottom of mine [It has a kind of reinforced base, which is hard to change the shape of, but the stuff above it is more flexible and squishable], and then try to fold it up again slightly [thumb and middle finger pulling the sides, first finger pushing the middle in - kind of like it shows on the leaflet], then it's a lot easier.
    Also, you can do uncomplicated pushy-down stuff with your muscles to make it more reachable. No idea how to describe it helpfully.
    Oh, yes. Once you've got it down a bit, it can help to break the seal by pushing your finger alongside the mooncup. That way, you've not got suction working against you.

:rolleyes: I never feel very cool posting this kind of thing =)

ReputationRep:
    1. Do they leak?! Sometimes a little bit if it's not in properly, just wear a pantyliner until you've got it right.
    2. Are they easy to use? Yes. A bit scary the first time but nothing difficult.
    3. What happens when you need to clean them (I was told wash before every insertion - Is this right?) and your in a public lav? Bottle of water in your bag, toilet roll. Just make sure you clean it properly next time you're at home. However, because you can keep them in so long, I've found in the last year I've only needed to wash it in a public toilet once so it's really not that bg a problem.
    4. Someone once told me the 'stick' on the bottom rubs against your outer walls and is an awful sensation? Is this true? Anything you can do about it? (ie, trimming the stem?) Trim it off, easy peasy either part of it or some people take the whole thing off, it's up to you.
    5. Are they easy to use? YES!!!
    6. DO you feel them? Not at all. I'll forget I'm on my period or have times when I worry about whether I remembered to put it back in again because you seirously don't feel a thing!
    7. How often do you need to change/empty it? 3-4 times a day at the start of my period going down to 2-3 by the end.
    Hope this helps

And an eggcup ... try everything once?!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

Was relaly brave and bought one today but now I've found that I've bought the wrong size - Very confusing box for people of simple minds like me! (The 'size b' - the one i need - was written in green on the side of the box, so I thought I had the right one!!) Just gotta hope they take it back!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    7. How often do you need to change/empty it? As often as you change a tampon - obviously depends on flow.
    Mooncups hold much more than any tampon, so not really. There have also never been any cases of TSS associated with them.

Every 12 hours is a safe bet, unless you have a heavy flow.

ReputationRep:
    1. Do they leak?! Mine has a few times, but thats mainly been when I've been trampolineing and haven't emptied for a long while. Its also leaked when the little holes got blocked, but generally its been fine, and more than fine! I just wear a pantie liner just incase.
    2. Are they easy to use? Very easy to use, It took a bit of getting used to, and the suction that can be formed can be a bit of a problem, but just squishing the side in solves that.
    3. What happens when you need to clean them (I was told wash before every insertion - Is this right?) and your in a public lav? You should wash [or at least wipe off] after each time you take it out, and sterilise after your period. In public loos I tend to carry a bottle of water, or wipe with tissue, and that normally does it fine until I get home and can clean it properly, but I rarely need to empty in public loos.
    4. Someone once told me the 'stick' on the bottom rubs against your outer walls and is an awful sensation? Is this true? Anything you can do about it? (ie, trimming the stem?) It can be very uncomfy if the stick is too long, but try it before your period and take it out and trim it off till its not noticeable any more. Whatever you do - DO NOT try to trim it with it still in :>.<:
    5. Are they easy to use? Deja Vu? :p:
    6. DO you feel them? Very rarely, I've been known to forget I have it in towards the end of my period!
    7. How often do you need to change/empty it? I used to empty mine twice a day, occasionally more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Mooncups hold much more than any tampon, so not really. There have also never been any cases of TSS associated with them.

Every 12 hours is a safe bet, unless you have a heavy flow.
    well, i do sometimes have a heavy enough flow to warrant emptying it as often as i used to change a tampon, of course it varies for everyone, hence why I said 'depends on flow'

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've finally got the right size!!

Go me, I feel like I'm part of some secret club!! xD

ReputationRep:
    I've just started using the mooncup and i'm converted. So much less icky than pads and towels! The only problem i have with it is that although i can get it in alright when its folded up, sometimes it hurts to take it out because it's so much bigger unfolded :eek: I've tried tilting it so it comes out at an angle, but is there kind of a way of folding it to get it out?

ReputationRep:
    when you're pulling it out, are you pulling by the stick or the cup itself?

I mean, are you breaking the seal properly?

ReputationRep:
    Squeeze the bottom of the cup so you break the seal and it comes out easy. Get rid of the stem altogether, it isn't very useful

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a pic of a mooncup?

EDIT: Nevermind I saw one on their website

Hmmmm I cant even use tampons let alone try a mooncup. I think I'll pass.

ReputationRep:
    You can see one here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    You can see one here
    Thanks chick.

I dont like the look of it I've never stuck anything artificial up there in my life. Not tampons. Not vibrators. Nothing. I don't like the idea of walking around like that.

I do however like the environmental and money-saving aspects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    Thanks chick.

I dont like the look of it I've never stuck anything artificial up there in my life. Not tampons. Not vibrators. Nothing. I don't like the idea of walking around like that.

I do however like the environmental and money-saving aspects

You should try it, you can feel it and its sooo much more comfortable than pads.Pads can feel like a nappy in comaprison

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.