Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I saw this in a public loo a few months ago, and didn't bother to look into it, but you guys have just caused me to spend £18.99. I hope you're proud of yourselves!! lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray Oceanweaver)
    I saw this in a public loo a few months ago, and didn't bother to look into it, but you guys have just caused me to spend £18.99. I hope you're proud of yourselves!! lol.
    We are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray Oceanweaver)
    Good for you! You won't regret it!

ReputationRep:
    I used mine for the first time! I'm a little worried I've trimmed the stem too much (I got a little overexcited with my scizzors. ) but I can still get it out with a little gentle persuasion! Going to trial run it this month and if it's still a problem I'll buy another one. Still worth it!!

ReputationRep:
    I got the implant a couple of months ago and am now coming up to my 4th week of period! I swear if I didn't have my cup I'd be penniless because of all the tampons I'd have been buying!

woo for the mooncup!

ReputationRep:
    *Reads the first few lines of the first post*
    *Quickly posts and gets the hell out of here*

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was a joke at first. My bad. :P

I think it would make me feel sick really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Fool'sGold*)
    I thought this was a joke at first. My bad. :P

I think it would make me feel sick really...
    I thought that too actually - But it doesn't. For some reason I thought that mentrual blood had a different colour/texture to it, but it doesn't. o-o Unless you're grossed out by blood, I don't see it being a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I've decided to do a little mooncup diary to see how it works out. I'll be posting every day of my period, so feel free to ask questions and all.
    It seems fabulous, value for money, good for the environment and so on. For those unaware of what a mooncup is, its a tampon replacement- a silicon cup that collects menstrual fluid instead of absorbing it. No more seaguls chocking on bloody cotton wool that finds its way into the sea and all that! Seriously,
    it seems like a valid answer to those who care about the environment and it also doesnt interfere with the natural environment of your vagina. Nor has it ever been associated with TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome) which is all to the good. Its also good value for money at £18.99 a go, and considering that it lasts for 10 years and what I spend on tampons every month, thats good value. So, I figured, why not?

Day 1...

Ok, so far this hasnt turned out so well.
    Basically, this thing is a little daunting sizewize- it IS very flexible but if you are, like me, still a virgin, you may have a bit of trouble. I foresaw this, and checked the website and it says that the mooncup is suitable for a girl on her FIRST period. Ok, says I, should be fine. We'll get to the problem with that later...

First of all, insertion.

This is frankly, the most fun ive had with my genitals in a comedic sense since I first saw them in a bathroom morror when I was 12

First of all, its recommended that you wet the mooncup before insertion or use a (water based- this is important) lubricant to help you, to allow ease of insertion.
    Then you need to fold it it half and push in. Then pinch the base and rotate or run your finger around the rim to make the mooncup spring into shape and form a vacuum seal with the vaginal walls. If it is uncomfortable, remove by pinching the base to release the vacuum and ease out, and trim the stem as this may cause discomfort.

Seems easy enough.

So, step one. Wet hands. Sor far, so good.

Step two, fold- and burst out laughing as wet silicon pops out of your hands and hits you in the nose. Try again, and again, and again after finally drying your hands to get a good grip on the thing.

Step three- insert into the vagina. To be fair, other than some discomfort due to the size, this part went fairly well.

Step four- pinch base and twist. Or try to pinch the base as it has suddenly disappeared up my vagina and only a tenuous grip on the stem is keeping it from riding its way up me, making me tense, making it try to go further, with me finally winning the battle and managing to give it a twist. Getting another finger up there to run around the rim of the thing is unthinkable, theres only so many i can get up there and still have a grip on it.

At this point there is little point for step five cos this actually HURTS. Not in a really bad way, but theres a definate twinge there- its very similar to when you're first getting familiar with tampons and you have inserted it wrong, so that when you sit down, you get a feeling someone just poked you hard in an intimate area.

Ok, step five.... oh yeah, is it uncomfortable? Yep. Definately. I'm waddling, not walking. So, take it out and trim the stem. Right. Take it out.

Frankly, this took 20 minutes of bearing down, trying to get a grip, failing, drying my fingers, trying to get a grip, crouching, sitting on the loo, all sorts of daft positions (I felt like a contortionist), getting a grip, losing the grip as the suction pulls it further in, finally getting a grip on the BASE (oh thank god!), losing my grip on the base, ect, ect, ect.

Finally I managed to get rid of suction not by gripping the (extremely slippery) base but by wedging my thumb between the base/stem and my vaginal wall and my forfinger up the side of the cup to break the seal, then levering it out.

OUCH

Ok, at this point there is more blood and I realise my hymen has ruptured. My own fault, but i never had this problem with tampons and the website said this was OK for people years younger than me. I check later and it says that hymens are NOT safe in the FAQ. Feel abit pissed off as it seems rather contradictory to the statement about younger users and that not much attention has been drawn to this fact.

So, am now sore. Trimmed stem, I dont want to give up on it yet, I still like the idea if not my experience so far. Maybe its just one of those days? Will try tomorow but definately feel the need to heal overnight.

Whilst trimming stem realised have been sent size A, due to the big letter A stamped at the base of the cup.
    Size A?
    This is the size for women over 30 and those who have given birth. I ordered the smaller size B. This is what the invoice SAYS I was given. At this point i feel I can blame the company. It was too big, which would definately explain my disconfort. Asked for a refund.

I'm not sure if its worth trying out tomorrow, I'll have to see how painful it is- may have to wait until I get the smaller size.

ReputationRep:
    i just got distracted (for a very long time) watching trashy tv and mine has burnt to the bottom of the pan the smell is atrocious. i don't advise doing this.

ReputationRep:
    "It is 50mm in length and 45mm at its widest point. Femmecup holds 30ml of fluid (approximately one third of your entire monthly flow)"

I think that's in between the two mooncup sizes. Find it hard to believe it holds a third of the entire monthly flow though.

In other news i'm using my new mooncup for the first time, it's going well thus far!

ReputationRep:
    The mooncup is supposed to hold a third of the monthly flow too isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    The mooncup is supposed to hold a third of the monthly flow too isn't it?
    Yeah Never been convinced by that. I must empty it twice a day for 5 days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    Yeah Never been convinced by that. I must empty it twice a day for 5 days
    I know... I agree

Still, only having to empty twice a day makes them so much better than tampons

ReputationRep:
    I'm having major problems with mine.

I'm -fine- during the day, but when I go to bed, I'm getting so many leaks. I check the seal and everything. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    I'm having major problems with mine.

I'm -fine- during the day, but when I go to bed, I'm getting so many leaks. I check the seal and everything. Any ideas?
    I dunno if it would make a difference...but what position do you sleep in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loz_fairy)
    I dunno if it would make a difference...but what position do you sleep in?
    I move A LOT but the majority is spent on my right side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    I move A LOT but the majority is spent on my right side.
    I was merely hypothesizing that should (as is the case) lie on your side, the force of your legs being together could break the seal? Although, I've always managed with no problems so it's just a guess

ReputationRep:
    ive been using a mooncup for the first time.. ive been putting in once a day, mid-afternoon ish, and taking it out when i have a shower in the evening. So far so good. It was a little tricky to get out the first few times.. when i realised that simply pulling on the stem wasnt going to work and i actually had to get my fingers above the base.. but, its not bad at all. Im sure i'll get used to it!

It was a bit of an impulse buy. Id thought about it on and off but never really seriously as i never liked wearing tampons.. but i saw it in Boots and thought, what the hell.. i do far more drastic things for the environment!

my bf gets freaked out by it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    ive been using a mooncup for the first time.. ive been putting in once a day, mid-afternoon ish, and taking it out when i have a shower in the evening. So far so good. It was a little tricky to get out the first few times.. when i realised that simply pulling on the stem wasnt going to work and i actually had to get my fingers above the base.. but, its not bad at all. Im sure i'll get used to it!

It was a bit of an impulse buy. Id thought about it on and off but never really seriously as i never liked wearing tampons.. but i saw it in Boots and thought, what the hell.. i do far more drastic things for the environment!

my bf gets freaked out by it though
    Guys just don't understand that kind of stuff.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.