The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ Watch

raveinelle
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've read a few pages and I'm almost convinced, but if I was using it when I was asleep, surely it's not good that the blood's sloshing around back up where it came from? That's my sole concern That, and being anxious about not being able to get it out, but everyone else seems to manage quite fine!
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont really think aobut it much... theres not really enough to "slosh" anyay, and its the wrong consitency.... Its nothing to worry about.... Think about it this way... Outting bleached cotton up there cant be too good for you. Its in there anyway been building up for a couple of weeks so...
nolongerhearthemusic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by raveinelle)
I've read a few pages and I'm almost convinced, but if I was using it when I was asleep, surely it's not good that the blood's sloshing around back up where it came from? That's my sole concern That, and being anxious about not being able to get it out, but everyone else seems to manage quite fine!
Yeah I thought that at first, but it doesn't really slosh. Well, when you take it out it's pretty much all in the cup so I'm assuming it pretty much stays in there.

Also, it can't really get back up where it came from... it takes muscles to push it through the cervix one way, I'd be really surprised if it could make its way back through.

Oh, and about getting it out, it can be tricky at first but you just have to develop a technique that works for you. Break the seal and then either fold is slightly on the way out or tilt is so only part of the rim is coming out at a time. At first you'll think you can't do it but you can
nolongerhearthemusic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just thought I'd mention another very similar UK-based product. It only came out very recently.

www.femmecup.com

It's exactly the same idea, looks very similar to the mooncup but slightly cheaper and the website is more appealing.

Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah its the same... only comes in one size.
nolongerhearthemusic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Same size as the small Mooncup.
bass_belle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i got one today! i am officially in the mooncup clan!
I tried it out, felt really weird. But i am going to practice a bit more tomorrow and then use it on my next period as this one is a bit dodgey.
I had great fun trying to get it out. I yelled to my partner "ITS F...ING STUCK!"
when i went downstairs to check on the gas (after i had sucessfully twigged how to get it out) my neighbour asked "did you get whatever was stuck out?"
lol!!!

My mum is a bit freaked out by it and my boyfriend imediatly started marching around the flat with it over his nipple going "look... i'm jordan"
Anonymous #10
Report 9 years ago
After reading this thread I decided to bite the bullet and go for it... said femmecup arrived today.

BUT it's massive and I just cannot work out how to put it in!

I've just been so convinced by all the ecological, economical, and time-saving arguments (currently on 6 changes of super-plus a day for first 3 days; not good!), but obviously they're all no good if I can't actually get it in!

I've used super plus tampons from my second period (though they have been applicator ones, so don't know if that's the problem in changing the method of insertion).
I am a virgin (but surely my hymen's history after a year or so of tampons?)
Not sure if it's just because it's the tail end of my period... but then I read somewhere else that it was possible to practise putting it in even when you're not 'on'.

Basically I'm wondering if anyone has any comments/suggestions/ideas to help?
sophisticated
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
After reading this thread I decided to bite the bullet and go for it... said femmecup arrived today.

BUT it's massive and I just cannot work out how to put it in!

I've just been so convinced by all the ecological, economical, and time-saving arguments (currently on 6 changes of super-plus a day for first 3 days; not good!), but obviously they're all no good if I can't actually get it in!

I've used super plus tampons from my second period (though they have been applicator ones, so don't know if that's the problem in changing the method of insertion).
I am a virgin (but surely my hymen's history after a year or so of tampons?)
Not sure if it's just because it's the tail end of my period... but then I read somewhere else that it was possible to practise putting it in even when you're not 'on'.

Basically I'm wondering if anyone has any comments/suggestions/ideas to help?
I find that folding it works a treat for me. Flatten it, if you can see what I mean, so the lips of the cup are pressed together, then fold it in half again and then try and insert it and once you've pushed it pretty much all the way in, bring your fingers out and it should unfold inside you pretty nicely. The instruction leaflet that comes with it gives some good tips on how to insert it too.
Anonymous #10
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sophisticated)
I find that folding it works a treat for me. Flatten it, if you can see what I mean, so the lips of the cup are pressed together, then fold it in half again and then try and insert it and once you've pushed it pretty much all the way in, bring your fingers out and it should unfold inside you pretty nicely. The instruction leaflet that comes with it gives some good tips on how to insert it too.
Unfortunately I was... might just leave it and try again next month in case that's the problem...
ImperceptibleNinja
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sophisticated)
I agree with this. It took me about 6 months or more to be happy with mine, but it's worth being patient and persevering.

I wouldn't try putting it in if you're, umm, dry. And it can get a bit slippery and harder to control when all systems are go. I'm sounding a bit like a weather girl here, but a compromise between the two extremes would probably make things easier.
sophisticated
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unfortunately I was... might just leave it and try again next month in case that's the problem...
Were you relaxed? If not, then obviously you'll be tense and it'll be harder to insert. Make sure you're relaxed, chilled, deep breaths and then try again.
Perhaps try doing it while lying on the floor? I found that helped me when I was trying to get to grips with tampons.
Anonymous #10
Report 9 years ago
Thanks everyone for the advice...

Update on the situation just in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar position:

I managed to get it in while sitting in the shower (which I'm sure will come in real handy for 1/4 of each month!) and using a different fold from the one on the instructions, which I found here: http://community.livejournal.com/men...s/1063119.html (much smaller, and 'popped' with no problem)

Getting it out was, however, quite painful and I'm not sure how messy it will be once there's actual blood there. This happened about half an hour ago and my poor lady-bits are still recovering!

And, to go slightly off-topic, I was wondering if anyone had actually experienced a shortening of the duration of their period when they switched to using the cup? I read that somewhere, but not sure how common it is...
loz_fairy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Getting it out was, however, quite painful and I'm not sure how messy it will be once there's actual blood there. This happened about half an hour ago and my poor lady-bits are still recovering!

And, to go slightly off-topic, I was wondering if anyone had actually experienced a shortening of the duration of their period when they switched to using the cup? I read that somewhere, but not sure how common it is...
You'll probably be alright, cause it creates a seal all the blood goes inside so there wont be any on the outside Plus it gets less painful with use, i used to end up really sore but now I don't notice
ImperceptibleNinja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks everyone for the advice...

Update on the situation just in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar position:

I managed to get it in while sitting in the shower (which I'm sure will come in real handy for 1/4 of each month!) and using a different fold from the one on the instructions, which I found here: http://community.livejournal.com/men...s/1063119.html (much smaller, and 'popped' with no problem)

To get it out... try pushing your finger alongside it and 'folding it back up' slightly [A bit like how they suggest in the instructions for putting it in] - I think I'd use my first finger to dent it in, then the middle finger and the thumb to support it in that shape, and to grip it. Because it sits fairly low down, that's not as bad as it sounds. It hurts if you just pull it >_<

I thought my periods had got shorter for a while, but that hasn't seemed the case recently.
PrincessAriadne
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Have just sat and read the whole of this thread . . . feel like I've been here for a month! :rolleyes: You all convinced [Converted??!!] me after about 8 pages, and I've just ordered a Mooncup for £17.50 (I shopped around!!)

I can't wait - I'm gonna be a Mooncup Girl!
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PrincessRose5)
Have just sat and read the whole of this thread . . . feel like I've been here for a month! :rolleyes: You all convinced [Converted??!!] me after about 8 pages, and I've just ordered a Mooncup for £17.50 (I shopped around!!)

:five:
Botticello
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PrincessRose5)

You won't look back :yep:
nolongerhearthemusic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had forgotten about this thread!

I've been using the mooncup for 6 months now and I've not touched a pad or tampon in that time. Yay
MatchDancer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
I had forgotten about this thread!

I've been using the mooncup for 6 months now and I've not touched a pad or tampon in that time. Yay
almost the same here. TSR got me into the mooncup, I've been using it for about a year or so now, I think. I lost it this month and had to use tampons - they're really crap things. I'd forgotten how great and easy the mooncup is. I remember the first time I put it in, my heart was pounding. It did take me a little time to get used to it. I just took off the whole stem and it's been fab ever since. So glad I'm using it.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (123)
18.44%
No (403)
60.42%
Not really bothered about them (141)
21.14%

Watched Threads