Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    YES MOONCUP!
    They're amazing! And no more carrying tampons and pads around, no more leaking, no TSS fear, no more environmental damage... love them! I secretly put Mooncup stickers in my college loos and all the girls came out of the toilets like "OMG HOW DISGUSTING" xD More fool them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    To get it out... try pushing your finger alongside it and 'folding it back up' slightly [A bit like how they suggest in the instructions for putting it in] - I think I'd use my first finger to dent it in, then the middle finger and the thumb to support it in that shape, and to grip it. Because it sits fairly low down, that's not as bad as it sounds. It hurts if you just pull it >_<

I thought my periods had got shorter for a while, but that hasn't seemed the case recently.
    she's right; don't just pull!

To get it out, I'm always crouched on the ground with knees far apart so it's not very far up at all and is really easy to reach and grab. I put my right index finger with the nail towards the mooncup and the other index with fleshy part towards the moon cup, I squeeze to break the seal slightly and can then pull a bit. This hasn't fully broken the seal, but has just given me room for manoevering. I can then grab the base just with my left hand, replacing the right finger (the one with the nail touching the mooncup) with my thumb and then put that right finger further up (still nail towards the cup) to reach the rim and push that in to completely break the seal. Then it's simply a matter of pulling with the left hand whilst the seal is broken; easily done.

I just thought I'd post my way. Everybody probably has their own way of removing it; it's something you'll just get used to as you start to use it more.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh!! Mine's still waiting to be used: my period's late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatchDancer)
    I just thought I'd post my way. Everybody probably has their own way of removing it; it's something you'll just get used to as you start to use it more.
    True.
    Also, I'd suggest if you're having extra difficulty pushing down with your pelvic muscles -- easy and works.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you just put a paper cup in your panties?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brouhaha)
    YES MOONCUP!
    They're amazing! And no more carrying tampons and pads around, no more leaking, no TSS fear, no more environmental damage... love them! I secretly put Mooncup stickers in my college loos and all the girls came out of the toilets like "OMG HOW DISGUSTING" xD More fool them!
    Haha! I was so tempted to do this (although I don't have stickers, I'd have to make my own...) but I chickened out cause I was worried they'd know it was me somehow... I am lame.

I also chickened out on converting my friends, I never ever talk about stuff like this with them for some reason

ReputationRep:
    I want one but worried about it hurting as I can't use tampons for that reason (they do actually hurt me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    I want one but worried about it hurting as I can't use tampons for that reason (they do actually hurt me)
    What is it about tampons that hurt? If it's the dryness/friction, that wouldn't be a problem because mooncups are smooth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    What is it about tampons that hurt? If it's the dryness/friction, that wouldn't be a problem because mooncups are smooth
    hmm yeah

also the whole size issue

I did manage to get a tampon in once for swimming but it hurt so in the end I had to just give up on being in the pool and go take it out :o: so I guess size wise too even though it was a mini one :o:

ReputationRep:
    hmm yeah

I did manage to get a tampon in once for swimming but it hurt so in the end I had to just give up on being in the pool and go take it out :o: so I guess size wise too even though it was a mini one :o:
    I don't want to be patronising, but if you've having problems with the mini tampons, it might be the angle you're putting them in at that's the problem. It took me a very long time to get the angles right :cool:

ReputationRep:
    hmm yeah

tampons totally hurt the first times I used them, also made me feel a bit sick. I promised myself I would try them once every month then pretty quickly I transferred to them and realised how annoying it had been using pads. Mooncup was fairly freaky first time; it looked HUGE. I don't particularly remember now, but I think it was a bit painful. I didn't get settled with the mooncup until I'd removed the stem totally. But now there's no problems at all.
    Perhaps some people get it straight away, but that's not the experience I've had and I'd guess that it's not the experience that most people have had. So if you are struggling with it, I would suggest that most people do.
    I think all of these things, they're something that you're not used to (if you're a virgin etc) so it'll be freaky. I've definitely found that they were sore. Guess that may be able to be avoided somehow, but I think trying to find the perfect way before you start is not good; you've just got to keep trying and you'll work it out. That's my advice. It'll take a bit of time to get used to if it's something totally alien.
    Actually what I would suggest is to stick you're finger in first, just to know where the passage is heading before you start sticking stuff up it. It's a bit gross to think about, perhaps, but it's not actually that weird or gross. It's just another part of your body to get to know.

(Original post by MatchDancer)
    Actually what I would suggest is to stick your finger in first, just to know where the passage is heading before you start sticking stuff up it. It's a bit gross to think about, perhaps, but it's not actually that weird or gross. It's just another part of your body to get to know.
    Ditto this - prob best in shower so you know you're all clean first

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever monitored their blood-flow using a cup?
    I'm just slightly perturbed because I've had to change mine far more than the 12hour stints advised by Femmecup so decided to keep track and it was over 210ml - which seems like rather a lot volume-wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm just slightly perturbed because I've had to change mine far more than the 12hour stints advised by Femmecup so decided to keep track and it was over 210ml - which seems like rather a lot volume-wise.
    I figured it meant 'Even if you don't feel it's that full, 12 hours after putting it in, you should take it out and clean it anyway', rather than 'You should aim to change it every 12 hours'.
    I certainly need to empty mine more often than that, I've never measured the volume, but sometimes I need to change it after about 2 hours.
    I guess if you're losing a lot of blood or your periods are generally being more of a pain than is acceptable, you should go to your doctor and see what they advise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I figured it meant 'Even if you don't feel it's that full, 12 hours after putting it in, you should take it out and clean it anyway', rather than 'You should aim to change it every 12 hours'.
    I certainly need to empty mine more often than that, I've never measured the volume, but sometimes I need to change it after about 2 hours.
    I guess if you're losing a lot of blood or your periods are generally being more of a pain than is acceptable, you should go to your doctor and see what they advise.
    I've never measured mine either but I change it when I get up in the morning and just before I go to bed and never noticed it to be dangerously full. But I'm on the pill so maybe that makes my periods lighter than those who aren't :confused:
    Still, I'm not complaining. It is a bit of a messy job so the less changes I have to do the better!

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

My mum picked 2 up for me a month ago.

I put it in for the first time this afternoon and waiting to see how I go. Either way it should be fine

I never liked sanitary pads even when I first started my period as you were constantly sitting on your own crap and Lord help you if you wanted to wear tight jeans or a bikini (out of the question)

Tampons whilst much much better had to be changed due to the risk of TSS. Also the annoying string from tampons used to piss me off. If I wore a bikini sometimes I was paranoid the string would hang. Also I didnt like the environmental impact of tampons

3 cheers for mooncups :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Heyhey! :p:
    Period finally here and I've put the mooncup in for it's first test. I hope I've done it right - tis hard to feel the seal :rolleyes:

I have a reusable pantyliner in just in case, but so far so good! I'm changing it after about 6 hours.

Fingers crossed! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I need to empty it more often than every 12 hours, it's more like every 6 on the first 2 or 3 days. I wouldn't worry about that.

210ml does sound like quite a lot. I kept track of mine once and it was about 55ml. But I know that when I was younger my periods were a LOT heavier than they are now, so I don't know really.

ReputationRep:
    Was getting worried about mine as kept forgetting itwas there. Brought it out first time with no worries at all. Just followed the instructions for slightly squeezing bottom and waiting for sound of seal coming undone and bringing out at an angle. All the deposits ahem had hit the cup so I got it right first time

Very relieved I do not have to buy tampons again especially with travelling etc

Now I just have to focus on NOT losing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    I've never measured mine either but I change it when I get up in the morning and just before I go to bed and never noticed it to be dangerously full. But I'm on the pill so maybe that makes my periods lighter than those who aren't :confused:
    Still, I'm not complaining. It is a bit of a messy job so the less changes I have to do the better!
    Aye, I think it's luck of the draw to some extent :rolleyes: Oh well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.