Turn on thread page Beta

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm really impressed with the mooncup :woo: I had high hopes, and it hasn't disappointed!

I emptied it after 7 hours, but it was nowhere near full, so I imagine twice a day from now on. Is this veery weird: i kinda enjoyed it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessRose5)
    I'm really impressed with the mooncup :woo: I had high hopes, and it hasn't disappointed!

I emptied it after 7 hours, but it was nowhere near full, so I imagine twice a day from now on. Is this veery weird: i kinda enjoyed it!
    No its not weird
    I love my mooncup, and pretty much refuse to use tampons now. So dry, eurgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    No its not weird
    I love my mooncup, and pretty much refuse to use tampons now. So dry, eurgh.
    I never realized it was like . . . . liquid . . . and it's oddly satisfying seeing it all just flush away, and knowing I'm not sitting in it going bad and smelly.

ReputationRep:

Yay!

ReputationRep:
    I never realized it was like . . . . liquid . . . and it's oddly satisfying seeing it all just flush away, and knowing I'm not sitting in it going bad and smelly.
    And you're not polluting the sea with filthy pads and tampons.
    Yay

ReputationRep:
    How do you clean it if say you've gone to use public toilets and taken it out to empty it? Bought one today from Boots, testing it out tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    i got mine the other day, i've been meaning to got one since ages. and my first impression was: wow, bigger than i thought...
    i promised myself to take time with my first trial run, but of course it didn't quite work the way i wanted. i folded it, put it in, and it didnt unfold. oh well. i wiggled around a bit on the stem, still nothing. i jumped up and down, nothing. so i decided to take it out and reinsert. then i couldnt qite get hold of it, scratched myself a little, and after three minutes i eventually got hold of the stem and pulled. THEN it unfolded and the seal formed. i smiled for a second, but felt i need to get it out. i wasnt able to catch anything but the stem, so i just pulled and it hurt a little, and made plop. bad idea, i did know, having done a lot of reading about it. also had there been blood in, i wold have spilled it all over the floor, i guess.
    i figured out i put it in too deep at first. also, of yourse, next time i take it out i won't panick.

now question: does any of you girls have long fingernails? (like more than 1 cm of white?) i cannot get 3 fingers next to a mooncup in there, not because i'm so tight, but i'd poke myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jemma1389)
    How do you clean it if say you've gone to use public toilets and taken it out to empty it? Bought one today from Boots, testing it out tomorrow
    I either take a bottle of water there and rinse it out with that, or give it a quick wipe around with some loo roll!

ReputationRep:
    I use fem-fresh type wipes (you can get individual ones) for cleaning in a public toilet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahleslie1)
    I use fem-fresh type wipes (you can get individual ones) for cleaning in a public toilet

On the actual mooncup itself?

ReputationRep:
    I've only had to do this once in... 8 months? I just emptied it into the toilet, wiped the rim with toilet paper and put it back in. I don't think you need to do more than that really.

ReputationRep:
    Is it supposed to hurt? I recently bought a mooncup, opened it up, smiled at the pretty, inconspicuous little bag it comes with, tried to insert it (using the instructions and various tips they suggest in the leaflet) and literally almost yelled in pain. Could it be because I'm too tense? I can just about *sory for the graphic description* get it into the entrance of my vagina, but any further than that and it just refuses to budge, as well as hurting like hell! It's just so big that I can't see it ever going in, at the moment it's not even halfway. I'd like to use the mooncup rather than tampons, but it just won't go in! It's so frustrating! Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryFlip)
    Is it supposed to hurt? I recently bought a mooncup, opened it up, smiled at the pretty, inconspicuous little bag it comes with, tried to insert it (using the instructions and various tips they suggest in the leaflet) and literally almost yelled in pain. Could it be because I'm too tense? I can just about *sory for the graphic description* get it into the entrance of my vagina, but any further than that and it just refuses to budge, as well as hurting like hell! It's just so big that I can't see it ever going in, at the moment it's not even halfway. I'd like to use the mooncup rather than tampons, but it just won't go in! It's so frustrating! Any tips?
    Have you tried different folds? The first fold in the instructions doesn't work for me. Also - try running it under warm water before inserting it, that makes it slightly softer and slippery.

ReputationRep:
    On the actual mooncup itself?
    Yeah - I've only used it one period so far (will come around soon ), but then I used 2 wipes, one for me and one for the mooncup, then dried moon-cup off slightly with a touch of toilet tissue.

Not sure if I fit it in right though as I needed to wear a normal pad too, and tended to get blood on the outside, so if you wear it properly then I don't think you'd need the wipe.

It is actually an issue for me as my flow is quite heavy and I'm at school all day, so I planned it out :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've had my moon cup for nearly a year and i LOVE it, it's made periods so much less hassle, and i've probably saved a lot of money in that time too. Another thing is i don't tend to get period pains as much anymore, i don't know the reason for this but i'm not complaining!

BUT, the one slight issue i have is this. So you know the way the mooncup forms a kind of seal around the cervix, which has to be broken to get the cup out (the seal, not the cervix!) well, is there any chance that i could pull too hard trying to get the cup out and damage my cervix somehow? like, erm, pull the muscle or dislocate it? :eek:
    I know this is probably impossible but put my mind at rest someone please!

ReputationRep:
    I've just had the same and was just about to give up but eventually got it in by changing the angle I was putting it in at (more horizontal) and changing position.

I've found I get the same uncomfortable feeling when I'm sat down that I do with tampons..makes it not fun for driving...could it be because it's not in far enough? I've not cut the stem at all and none is on show.

ReputationRep:
    I've just had the same and was just about to give up but eventually got it in by changing the angle I was putting it in at (more horizontal) and changing position.

I've found I get the same uncomfortable feeling when I'm sat down that I do with tampons..makes it not fun for driving...could it be because it's not in far enough? I've not cut the stem at all and none is on show.
    Yes, this sounds as if you havem't quite got it in right, as (like with tampons) if you can feel it then it's not in right. Try taking it out and re-inserting. I had this problem to start with, and was worried I wouldn't be able to use it: so I made my self relax as much as I could, then inserted it and kept pushing until it was as far up as felt comfy (don't worry, it can't get lost, as the womb opening is tiny tiny and it won't go through). Also I'd recommend cutting the stem (if you feel comfy getting it out without - it's easy don't worry) as this can make all the difference as to whether you feel it!!

ReputationRep:
    I have about 1cm of stem left (if that) and I occasionally feel it - if I do I nip to the loo and just give it a little shove with my fingers - I normally find it's slipped down a bit/i haven't put it in far enough, and once I've done that it's fine =)

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean the fold in half, then fold in half again method? I don't like that method either, so I tried the other technique in the booklet where you take the edge and squash it inwards (have a look at the picture cause I know its quite hard to imagine) and maybe put a bit of lubrication on to ease it in and just practice pushing it in so it completely goes in. Good luck !

If it makes you feel better, I've had it nearly 2 years and it did hurt at first, but it does take a bit of getting used to, I bled a bit when I first tried (as in my skin breaking, I wasn't on) and I found it hard to get it out but now I can just pop it in and out no problem!

ReputationRep:
    Aargh I keep getting leaks. What is wong with me?

My vagina is either bucket sized or something else which is strange as when I go for a smear they use the virgin sized spatula. However the nurse has said my uterus is at an angle

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.