Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are the little holes blocked? As that can cause leaks..also have you made sure it's fully unfolded? Trick to do that it to twist it round once it's in, then any kinks un-kink themselves. You also might not have it far enough in, or you're leaving it in too long for how much you bleed...

ReputationRep:
    i'm finishing my first mooncup period. so far it's been all good. more or less. it's fun using somehow, and i like it a lot. only thing i find complicated is getting it out. i have to squish it togeter and pull it halfway out, which feels unpleasant, before i can break the seal. also i have scratched myself on trying to get it out. but i only empty it twice a day, so i can put up with that. else it's working perfecty once i got used to that.
    on the other hand i still find tampons more practical, but the fact that i can forget about it the whole day makes me a convert. now officially.

ReputationRep:
    A tip for getting it out... If you squeeze it, then wiggle a finger up the edge, you can normally 'pop' the seal and get it out that way =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    A tip for getting it out... If you squeeze it, then wiggle a finger up the edge, you can normally 'pop' the seal and get it out that way =)
    thanks. this is pretty much what i do, but i still have to push the rim a bit to get my finger to break the seal. obviously it would be easier if i had short fingernails. but i'm sure it get's easier wit more practice. cheers

ReputationRep:
    I saw a toilet door sticker about Mooncups at a uni open day Then I saw this thread...
    I want to try, and apparantly my boots stock them, so I'll be buying one next time I'm there.
    Does anyone have any suggestions about telling my mum? Obviously I'll have to, as I'll no longer be asking her to buy me tampons/pads and the bathroom bin will remain empty. But although I'm fine chatting about this stuff with friends, I hate doing it with my mum. Even asking her to buy the tampons is a little uncomfortable.
    What did you say to yours?
    [I'll be living at home for the next 14 months or so]

Oh, and you guys should totally get commission from Mooncup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireW2708)
    I saw a toilet door sticker about Mooncups at a uni open day Then I saw this thread...
    I want to try, and apparantly my boots stock them, so I'll be buying one next time I'm there.
    Does anyone have any suggestions about telling my mum? Obviously I'll have to, as I'll no longer be asking her to buy me tampons/pads and the bathroom bin will remain empty. But although I'm fine chatting about this stuff with friends, I hate doing it with my mum. Even asking her to buy the tampons is a little uncomfortable.
    What did you say to yours?
    [I'll be living at home for the next 14 months or so]
    Just tell her that you are using a Mooncup when she asks about the lack of tampons etc. If she needs explanation give her the instructions that come in the box, they're pretty straight forward and clear. I wouldn't think she'll mind, as long as you are looking after yourself. My mum gave me my Mooncup when I was 13!

ReputationRep:
    I bought it Actually, I couldn't find it on the shelf because the box was so small. Don't know what I was expecting - some kind of bucket?
    Not much trouble putting it in, think I've got the hang of it. Did struggle to get it out but I tried a couple times and seems better. Not quite got the guts to trim the stem yet though I think I need to.
    I have a couple of questions;
    1) When you're taking a mooncup out, does it really stay full? I think I was tipping it around quite a bit, and I can imagine it all spilling around [sorry!]
    2) The funny suction noises - do they stop as you get the hang of it? I can imagine it being embarassing if you needed to empty it in a public loo...
    3) Is it ok to wear my mooncup a day or two before I expect my period, so I don't get caught out?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireW2708)
    I bought it Actually, I couldn't find it on the shelf because the box was so small. Don't know what I was expecting - some kind of bucket?
    Not much trouble putting it in, think I've got the hang of it. Did struggle to get it out but I tried a couple times and seems better. Not quite got the guts to trim the stem yet though I think I need to.
    I have a couple of questions;
    1) When you're taking a mooncup out, does it really stay full? I think I was tipping it around quite a bit, and I can imagine it all spilling around [sorry!]
    2) The funny suction noises - do they stop as you get the hang of it? I can imagine it being embarassing if you needed to empty it in a public loo...
    3) Is it ok to wear my mooncup a day or two before I expect my period, so I don't get caught out?

Thanks
    1) I think so, and anyway if you're sat on the loo that is the only place that it can go!
    2) The noise never goes completely, but if you are slow and careful it is much quieter - I have been using public toilets for 2 years (boarding school) and no one has ever said anything or given me a weird look. If you're really worried cough whilst you break the seal or wait until someone else flushes the toilet.
    3) Yes, I often wear mine when I am going somewhere that getting my period would be really annoying eg interviews etc, often even if I'm not expecting my period. As long as it is properly cleaned you could wear it every day if you wanted.
    HTH

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, really helpful

ReputationRep:
    I bought a mooncup a few months ago. BEST PURCHASE EVER. I am never going back! Using it makes periods so much more bearable, you're able to completely forget it's the 'time of the month', there's no icky feeling and you can jump around all you like. Love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenski)
    I bought a mooncup a few months ago. BEST PURCHASE EVER. I am never going back! Using it makes periods so much more bearable, you're able to completely forget it's the 'time of the month', there's no icky feeling and you can jump around all you like. Love it!
    Congratulations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenski)
    Same!!! I swear it's even making my period pains less!!!!!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else think the best thing about Mooncups is not having to carry a handbag everywhere? I totally can't be bothered sometimes if I'm just hanging at my mates, but with tampons and towels I always had to take a bag anyway... now it's just like, mooncup & go! Love it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that's so nice, not having to change it all the time anyway. i dont change it during the day tbh.
    but what i had last month: i didn't think of it and then got my period. of course i don't carry the thing around in my hadbag all the time, it's not that small.... but i had 2 tampons in my really tiny make up bag, which helped me out, luckily. i'm planning on keping that tradition. otherwise i would never switch back. never.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ta-shi)
    yeah, that's so nice, not having to change it all the time anyway. i dont change it during the day tbh.
    but what i had last month: i didn't think of it and then got my period. of course i don't carry the thing around in my hadbag all the time, it's not that small.... but i had 2 tampons in my really tiny make up bag, which helped me out, luckily. i'm planning on keping that tradition. otherwise i would never switch back. never.
    I dread my period so much, and the week before it is so tense and horrible, so it's wonderful that (thanks to the Mooncup) I can now relax when I'm actually on my period - I usually completely forget I'm on!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Mooncup saved me yesterday... was mid-D of E and thought I was about due so popped it in. Fortunately the farmer whose field we camped in on Saturday night let us use her toilet in the morning, and that did me until we got home last night, which would never have happened with tampons!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've now mastered (just about!) getting the damn thing in, but am having serious dificulties in getting it out! No matter what I do I can't seem to break the seal. I've tried everything suggested in the leaflet and on here, wiggling a finger up the side, gently squeezing the bottom, pushing down, and nothing gets it out! Can anyone suggest something to help? I'm determined to figure it out, as I hate using tampons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryFlip)
    Ok, I've now mastered (just about!) getting the damn thing in, but am having serious dificulties in getting it out! No matter what I do I can't seem to break the seal. I've tried everything suggested in the leaflet and on here, wiggling a finger up the side, gently squeezing the bottom, pushing down, and nothing gets it out! Can anyone suggest something to help? I'm determined to figure it out, as I hate using tampons!
    it's really just a matter of practice. i stil find removing it slightly uncomfortable but here's how i go:
    can you grip the bottom of the actual cup (not the stem)? if not, pus down a few times until you can. squeeze it (no, most likely it doesn't overflow), then wiggle and tilt carefully on pulling it out. if the seal hasnt broken then, don't just pull, it might hurt. instead, next to still sqeezing and trying to tilt, try pushing the cup inwards next to the rim.

actually, on dry exercising, i found out i get it in easiest sitting on the toilet, and get it out easiest lying on my back. the latter unfortunately is not an option for regular use. i thought i just mention it, if any of you ever panick over not getting it out...

ReputationRep:
    Not oo sound too icky, but I always manage just by sticking a finger up the side and pushing in on the rim.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about getting a moon cup (ooh, exciting)
    I'm a pad person myself, because (here's the thing) tampons always seem to leak on me for some reason

Anyone else had this problem with tampons, and is the mooncup better? I'm guessing it is a bit since it forms a 'seal'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.