Turn on thread page Beta

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbandtr4eva)
    Good luck with the essay xD

Just used my Mooncup overnight - so awesome!! I've always used pads overnight since I started my periods so it was lovely not having to force myself to sleep on my front in case of leaks I also think that cutting the stem off has really helped - can't feel a thing now, very happy >.<
    :five: Glad it helped =D

ReputationRep:
    Bear with me if this question has already been asked, but really can't be bothered to scroll through 27 other pages. But when it comes to...emptying. How do you manage it without the stem, and manage either not to drop it in the toilet or tip it down yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gez1990)
    Bear with me if this question has already been asked, but really can't be bothered to scroll through 27 other pages. But when it comes to...emptying. How do you manage it without the stem, and manage either not to drop it in the toilet or tip it down yourself?
    I actually hold the cup itself, I dont ever use the stem, so it makes no difference...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    I actually hold the cup itself, I dont ever use the stem, so it makes no difference...
    But isn't it slippery and easy to drop?
    Sorry, I'm not trying to be dense or anything - in logic it sounds like a real money saver, but in practice I just can't imagine it.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I'm not trying to be dense or anything - in logic it sounds like a real money saver, but in practice I just can't imagine it.
    I've just started using my mooncup and I cut the majority of the stem off last night because it was irritating me - I've got about a mm of it left so I can grab it if I need to. Honestly, it's not really slippery and because it's quite bendy you can get a grip of it really well, I've never had a problem with nearly dropping it. Because it's held in quite tightly it's not like you poke it and it falls out, you have to wiggle it out if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    I don't find it particularly slippery or easy to drop. I think I've dropped it once...when I first started..about 4 years ago...

I tend to wipe it first and then take it out so it's less messy.

A weird thing happened to me today though - I hadn't been wearing it overnight, got up, showered, put it in, did stuff for about an hour then went to the loo and did a number 2 and then couldn't feel the mooncup at all! I have about 1/3 of the stem left, but it just wasn't there. I began to doubt that I'd put it in in the first place, but couldn't find it anywhere, then thought that I must have somehow flushed it down the loo... but then next time I went to the loo about 3 hours later I felt it again. It was the strangest thing!

ReputationRep:
    I've just started using my mooncup and I cut the majority of the stem off last night because it was irritating me - I've got about a mm of it left so I can grab it if I need to. Honestly, it's not really slippery and because it's quite bendy you can get a grip of it really well, I've never had a problem with nearly dropping it. Because it's held in quite tightly it's not like you poke it and it falls out, you have to wiggle it out if that makes sense.
    Is the actual removal and insertion very uncomfortable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    Is the actual removal and insertion very uncomfortable?
    I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable, just the same as putting tampons in really but it's so much better in that you never have the feeling of putting a tampon on when you're really dry down there, do you know what I mean? I used to find that really painful actually so I'm glad I don't have to go through that for a while.

I would make sure you've got plenty of time to fiddle around with it for the first few times you're using it - don't be trying to put it in in a hurry because you'll get all flustered. It's not painful though. Getting it out is fine too, you just have to wiggle it a bit before it pops out, I wouldn't say it was any more difficult than using a tampon really once you've got used to it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable, just the same as putting tampons in really but it's so much better in that you never have the feeling of putting a tampon on when you're really dry down there, do you know what I mean? I used to find that really painful actually so I'm glad I don't have to go through that for a while.

I would make sure you've got plenty of time to fiddle around with it for the first few times you're using it - don't be trying to put it in in a hurry because you'll get all flustered. It's not painful though. Getting it out is fine too, you just have to wiggle it a bit before it pops out, I wouldn't say it was any more difficult than using a tampon really once you've got used to it.
    I do know what you mean yes...I hated that feeling of taking a tampon out aswell. Yuk.

Thanks for all your help though. I really want to try it, but keep having fears that I just won't be able to do it, no matter how hard I try! The idea of even getting it in seems impossible to me no matter what everyone says! Definitely think I will give it a try though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I tend to wipe it first and then take it out so it's less messy.

A weird thing happened to me today though - I hadn't been wearing it overnight, got up, showered, put it in, did stuff for about an hour then went to the loo and did a number 2 and then couldn't feel the mooncup at all! I have about 1/3 of the stem left, but it just wasn't there. I began to doubt that I'd put it in in the first place, but couldn't find it anywhere, then thought that I must have somehow flushed it down the loo... but then next time I went to the loo about 3 hours later I felt it again. It was the strangest thing!

That happens to me. Tends to shift about when you do a number 2... sometimes it moves down, sometimes it moves right up to your cervix and you really have to fish for it when you want to get it out :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelittleredfox)
    That happens to me. Tends to shift about when you do a number 2... sometimes it moves down, sometimes it moves right up to your cervix and you really have to fish for it when you want to get it out :-)
    Indeed. Mines nearly come all the way out before =/ That was slightly disturbing...

(Original post by thelittleredfox)
    Hmph... it didn't help that 'cos it had been just after I'd woken up, I couldn't even remember whether or not I had put it in! http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/o.gif Must be more aware of these things in future http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...s/rolleyes.gif

ReputationRep:
    I ordered one a week ago, and was so excited to use it cuz had a NIGHTMARE filling my suitcase with pads/tampons for holiday this winter, but now that I am trying it, I can't get it in I was so upset in the loo today it was so lame.. Any hints?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y'anami!)
    I ordered one a week ago, and was so excited to use it cuz had a NIGHTMARE filling my suitcase with pads/tampons for holiday this winter, but now that I am trying it, I can't get it in I was so upset in the loo today it was so lame.. Any hints?
    How are you folding it? Have it tried running it under warm water to make it more slippery?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    How are you folding it? Have it tried running it under warm water to make it more slippery?
    Like pushing the edges together, and then folding that in half.. and yes I have It's like it wont go up and even when I feel like it's gone in and I let go, obviously it slips back out cuz it's opened in a not-deep-enough place..

Oh and I forgot to mention it's a femmecup..

ReputationRep:
    Like pushing the edges together, and then folding that in half.. and yes I have It's like it wont go up and even when I feel like it's gone in and I let go, obviously it slips back out cuz it's opened in a not-deep-enough place..

Oh and I forgot to mention it's a femmecup..
    You can fold it differently from that and it's much easier. The mooncup instructions has a fold where you put your finger on the outside of the rim and then push it downwards into the cup and then hold the sides together. It's much smaller than way. Or a similar one where you squash the sides together like the way you did it already but instead of then folding it horizontally, you take one of the ends and fold it downwards in kind of a triangle shape. I don't know whether that's explained well enough for you to know what I mean?

And if it opens too low down, you can sort of squeeze it so it's not a perfect circle and therefore not creating suction and just push it further upwards, then let go and let it open properly.

ReputationRep:
    You can fold it differently from that and it's much easier. The mooncup instructions has a fold where you put your finger on the outside of the rim and then push it downwards into the cup and then hold the sides together. It's much smaller than way. Or a similar one where you squash the sides together like the way you did it already but instead of then folding it horizontally, you take one of the ends and fold it downwards in kind of a triangle shape. I don't know whether that's explained well enough for you to know what I mean?

And if it opens too low down, you can sort of squeeze it so it's not a perfect circle and therefore not creating suction and just push it further upwards, then let go and let it open properly.
    Ohh you mean so like it has kind of like a pointy bit? Yeah that sounds so much easier!

I will definitely try that.. thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Ohh you mean so like it has kind of like a pointy bit? Yeah that sounds so much easier!

I will definitely try that.. thank you!
    Yep, it is so much easier, plus you can sort of hold onto the edge that folds down so that it doesn't spring open too soon. Then when you let go it just opens itself. I don't know why the instructions (well the mooncup ones anyway) suggest the horizontally folded way, because it doesn't work at all!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it is so much easier, plus you can sort of hold onto the edge that folds down so that it doesn't spring open too soon. Then when you let go it just opens itself. I don't know why the instructions (well the mooncup ones anyway) suggest the horizontally folded way, because it doesn't work at all!
    IT WORKED! But then I took it out.. because at first I had a little bit of the stem out, but when I checked in a few minutes literally everything went in, even the stem that I haven't trimmed yet, and I got freaked out that I wouldn't be able to reach it and get it out later.. is that a problem? If it's normal, when people cut off the stem, doesn't it go ridiculously far in?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.