The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Y'anami!
IT WORKED! But then I took it out.. because at first I had a little bit of the stem out, but when I checked in a few minutes literally everything went in, even the stem that I haven't trimmed yet, and I got freaked out that I wouldn't be able to reach it and get it out later.. is that a problem? If it's normal, when people cut off the stem, doesn't it go ridiculously far in?

I guess people just cut off the amount of stem that seems right for them. I have a couple of cm of stem left and nothing stays poking poking out, but it's still really low down and close to the entrance. If I squat and "bare down" it pokes out. But if you need the whole stem to get it out, that's fine, just leave it :smile:
nolongerhearthemusic
I guess people just cut off the amount of stem that seems right for them. I have a couple of cm of stem left and nothing stays poking poking out, but it's still really low down and close to the entrance. If I squat and "bare down" it pokes out. But if you need the whole stem to get it out, that's fine, just leave it :smile:

Ohhh okay.. Gosh it's so complicated, they need a better leaflet with it! Thank you so much :smile:
I have one now :five: just waiting for my period so I can use it...

I had a 'dry run' which seemed to go fine :biggrin:
I got a mooncup a few days ago and tested it out, etc, no problems. So I started my period today and got it in no problem, wore it no problem (I literally can't feel it, it's GREAT :biggrin:) but when I came to take it out to empty it just now it didn't go so well :frown:

I had trouble breaking the seal - took a while to get my finger up far enough to reach the top, and when I did it was difficult to push it in. Then when I managed to get it out I couldn't keep it from squishing in as such, and so I spilled 'it' everywhere :frown:

I really want to get used to it cause it's so much comfier than tampons and I'm sure if I get the hang then it'll be cleaner than pads!

So, any tips? Is it feasible to take it out stood up as I find being stood up comfier :confused: It felt really tight in there as if there was pressure from the outside which I probably wouldn't get stood up :s-smilie:
Anonymous
I got a mooncup a few days ago and tested it out, etc, no problems. So I started my period today and got it in no problem, wore it no problem (I literally can't feel it, it's GREAT :biggrin:) but when I came to take it out to empty it just now it didn't go so well :frown:

I had trouble breaking the seal - took a while to get my finger up far enough to reach the top, and when I did it was difficult to push it in. Then when I managed to get it out I couldn't keep it from squishing in as such, and so I spilled 'it' everywhere :frown:

I really want to get used to it cause it's so much comfier than tampons and I'm sure if I get the hang then it'll be cleaner than pads!

So, any tips? Is it feasible to take it out stood up as I find being stood up comfier :confused: It felt really tight in there as if there was pressure from the outside which I probably wouldn't get stood up :s-smilie:

How long had you left it in for? You shouldn't be leaving it in so long that it gets 'full' so to speak - do you think that's what caused the spillage here? xx
Hi, well I find that sitting on the loo, with my legs wide open makes it easiest, as then your vagina is as wide as poss ... then I put 3 fingers up, and grasp it round the middle, and push the side in with one finger, wiggling that finger up until I find the top/rim and then just pop the 'seal' and after that just squish it in on itself as I pull it out. Basically don't be scared or nervous ... it won't get stuck, and also being tense makes it 10000 X more difficult. Just relax completely . also coughing helps to push it out .. feel that muscles pushing dooown when you cough, that helps a lot.
blinkbelle
How long had you left it in for? You shouldn't be leaving it in so long that it gets 'full' so to speak - do you think that's what caused the spillage here? xx

Nope, it was only in 4 hours and wasn't particularly full :s-smilie:

I might try 'coughing'... who knew my cold this week would come in useful :sick:

I'll give it another go, see how it goes, and report back :biggrin:
OK, second time was a bit easier, though not a whole lot less messy :s-smilie: I might need to buy more femfresh wipes! :p:
It does take a bit of getting used to - I was awful at it at first, but you do get better. I'm not saying it complately stops being an issue at times - I still have issues, and Ive been mooncupping for 4 years and more...I find that if I try to take it out a bit too quick it can splash up and make a bit of a mess. The slower I take it (to a point) the less messy =]
Anonymous
Nope, it was only in 4 hours and wasn't particularly full :s-smilie:

I might try 'coughing'... who knew my cold this week would come in useful :sick:

I'll give it another go, see how it goes, and report back :biggrin:

4 hours is a long time IMO! That's the maximum amount of time I will ever leave it in. Usually I just change it every time I go to the toilet (which is quite frequently as I drink water like a fish!) and don't have any problems with it. The only time I have issues with 'full-ness' is on a morining after leaving it in during the night, and if I've had to leave it in slightly longer than usual :smile: hope this helps!!! xx
blinkbelle
4 hours is a long time IMO! That's the maximum amount of time I will ever leave it in. Usually I just change it every time I go to the toilet (which is quite frequently as I drink water like a fish!) and don't have any problems with it. The only time I have issues with 'full-ness' is on a morining after leaving it in during the night, and if I've had to leave it in slightly longer than usual :smile: hope this helps!!! xx

Wow really? I change mine in the morning when I wake up and before I go to bed at night....I love that I'm not restricted by the time limit you have on tampons!
Evidently mine aren't that heavy then since I just changed it after about 11 hours (oops :o:) and it wasn't that bad tbh. Getting better, it's probably just practise I think. I even changed it in a public toilet - took a while though!

Thanks for all your help girls :smile: another convert here I think!
Anonymous
Evidently mine aren't that heavy then since I just changed it after about 11 hours (oops :o:) and it wasn't that bad tbh. Getting better, it's probably just practise I think. I even changed it in a public toilet - took a while though!

Thanks for all your help girls :smile: another convert here I think!

Mine was like that. Towards the end of my period anyway.. the start I would change when I got up, when I left for school, when I got back from school and then when I went to bed.

I haven't had full proper period since the end of A Levels in case you're confused...although at the moment I'm having issues so I'm using my mooncup every day...
Sephrenia
Mine was like that. Towards the end of my period anyway.. the start I would change when I got up, when I left for school, when I got back from school and then when I went to bed.

I haven't had full proper period since the end of A Levels in case you're confused...although at the moment I'm having issues so I'm using my mooncup every day...

Ouch! :hugs: I wish I'd had a mooncup when my cycle went all screwy, would've saved a fortune :p:
Reply 574
I know I wish I'd been warned what a struggle it would be to get out. I managed to spray blood everywhere and then dropped the damn thing in the toilet. I fished it out but threw it away because I couldn't bear to use it after that!
Daya
I know I wish I'd been warned what a struggle it would be to get out. I managed to spray blood everywhere and then dropped the damn thing in the toilet. I fished it out but threw it away because I couldn't bear to use it after that!

It shouldn't be a struggle! Was that your first time using it? Were you nervous? xx
Anonymous
Ouch! I wish I'd had a mooncup when my cycle went all screwy, would've saved a fortune
It really does. 've actually bought a second one as I was using my original so much! Easily got my £20 out of it by now!

Daya
I agree with belle, it shouldn't be too much of a struggle. It can take a bit of getting used to. Also, sterilising fluid and boiling it for 10 minutes would get it nice and clean and everything again - I've dropped mine in the loo before, and sterilised it twice and boiled it for 10 minutes and nothing bad has ever come of it. If spraying blood becomes an issue, then try emptying it a bit more often. (If you fancy fishing it out the bin/buying a new one...)
I decided to Google image search a mooncup to see what it is because this thread is always here.

I am disturbed by these images and what they insinuate.
ozzyoscy
I decided to Google image search a mooncup to see what it is because this thread is always here.

There is info in the first post m'dear :wink:
ozzyoscy

Try sea pearls. They freak ME out. :yucky:

Quick Reply

Latest