Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I still hurt. I finally managed to stand the pain long enough to look to see precisely what damage I'd done and I've cut myself and the cut is about 2cms long. Moral of the story be very careful when taking out your mooncup

ReputationRep:
    it is I went to the chemists and they gave me some cream you can use down there.

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, I have a question.
    I get hellish cramps, and I find using a tampon in the first couple of days makes this worse because... well... my body pushes against that too (sorry if that was a bit graphic). Just wondering if any of you wonderful mooncup girls have this problem and whether the mooncup has the same effect, or is squishy enough not to make a difference?
    Cheers guys (nice thread btw <3, v informative)
    skevvybritt x

EDIT: hope you feel better viviki that must hurt like [insert censored words]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I still hurt. I finally managed to stand the pain long enough to look to see precisely what damage I'd done and I've cut myself and the cut is about 2cms long. Moral of the story be very careful when taking out your mooncup
    Ouch! I hope you feel better soon hun thats awful! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    well..I'm not sure I can relate directly to your problem, but I can try to work it out.
    With a tampon, it "absorbs" and keeps the liquid in the material, so it's perfectly feasible that the blood's coming out the side and letting it slip out. With the mooncup, the blood can only sit in one place, and usually the vaginal wall below it stays blood free, so it is less slippy.
    Also, I find the longer I leave my cup in, the further up it goes, until it's really well in and comfortable still.
    can I hazard a guess that you use tampax tampons, or a brand other than lil-lets? Because if you are - that might be part of the problem. It appears that only lil-lets expand widthways as opposed to [dumb] lengthways, which means they're less likely to slide.
    Oh, no, sorry <3 that wasn't what I meant... maybe I wasn't clear enough, I just didn't want to go too graphic

OK, I'll try again. Having a tampon in makes my cramps worse, and I assume it's because my body's trying to get rid of the tampon and so has to push harder than it would if the tampon wasn't there -> more cramps.

I do use lil lets and they don't come out... I was just wondering if the mooncup was more flexible to your stomach muscles (or whichever ones hurt!) than a tampon. Because I really hate having to wear pads... it's like having a nappy on and I grew out of that many years ago
    skevvybritt x

ReputationRep:
    You can also get one from here http://www.justnaturalstuff.co.uk/is...shopscr34.html

It's cheaper, but you have to pay for P&P, but tbh I'm posting it more for all the reviews and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh, that site says you can sterilise it in the dishwasher. One of my main reasons for not getting one was finding a way to sterilise it without having to buy my own saucepan and hide it in my bedroom. I did think about keeping a plastic cup to put the mooncup in, then putting that cup in a saucepan of water so it all boils and the saucepan stays clean, but putting it on a short cycle in the dishwasher when everyone else is out might be better.

I'm going on a 2 week safari in July and I want to get a mooncup to take with me, but when it comes to rinsing it out should I use bottled water?

Also I was wondering if you can have anal sex with the mooncup in. How soft is it, would the guy be able to feel it or could it become dislodged?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SammyD)
    Ooooh, that site says you can sterilise it in the dishwasher. One of my main reasons for not getting one was finding a way to sterilise it without having to buy my own saucepan and hide it in my bedroom. I did think about keeping a plastic cup to put the mooncup in, then putting that cup in a saucepan of water so it all boils and the saucepan stays clean, but putting it on a short cycle in the dishwasher when everyone else is out might be better.

I'm going on a 2 week safari in July and I want to get a mooncup to take with me, but when it comes to rinsing it out should I use bottled water?

Also I was wondering if you can have anal sex with the mooncup in. How soft is it, would the guy be able to feel it or could it become dislodged?
    unless you're putting the mooncup in the wrong hole, no!

ReputationRep:
    unless you're putting the mooncup in the wrong hole, no!
    Do you know for sure? I've not seen it on any FAQ's, might be something I have to test for myself.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would hurt, because you'd be putting too much pressure on the vaginal walls via the anus.

I don't think it'd be that great.
    Hmm yes maybe. i think it would have to be tested! if you were relaxed enough i think it would be doable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eurasianfeline)
    i know. guess i'm still more of a pad person.
    Same. *dances*

ReputationRep:
    ooh i'm on my second month of mooncup usage.
    but it leaked yesterday. quite badly. i don't know why, maybe it wasnt in right, but it seemed to be in the same as the other times ive used it when i didnt leak.
    also i never seem to be completely clean, even if its only a tiny bit there does seem to be a bit of leakage. most of it is in the cup, but a few drips seem to get through. anyone know why?

also my mum expressed her concerns about it today, saying a tampon is sterile when u put it in, but a mooncup isnt. (because you only sterilise it once a month not after every time you take it out.) what can i say back to this to convince her? other than that i'm sure its fine...

apart from the leaking, no problems...

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have a question! When I try and get mine out I have to squeeze it quite a bit to break the seal but when I do this it obviously squeezes the blood out and so it spills over the sides<--- sorry thats so graphic. Anyway this is bit unpleasant and obviously wouldn't really be any good in a public toilet when the sink is outside the cubicle so you couldn't wash your hands . Where am I going wrong? thanku!

ReputationRep:
    empty it before it gets that full, then it wont spill over. and dont squeeze it too much...

ReputationRep:
    This is a legendary thread. Let's all rate it!!

ReputationRep:
    and skevvy, I'm sorry >.< I do know what you mean though - sometimes when a tampon goes in it makes my cramps a little worse. I haven't experienced that with mooncup, no.
    Thank you
    Much appreciated,
    skevvybritt x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna999)
    empty it before it gets that full, then it wont spill over. and dont squeeze it too much...
    THe problem is if I don't squeeze it enough it won't break the seal! so is there a way to solve that?

ReputationRep:
    Just completed my first month of mooncup usage. I'm a convert. Most definately.

Granted, it is a little more fuss to clean it than whipping off a towel but it doesn't smell, it's easy to clean, there is no leakage & I can still go swimming! (Although, when I do, it fills with water which I find worrying!) Plus, I'm doing my bit to save the planet (that and switching my tv off standby, according to the Independent!).

Need to go and buy some sterilising fluid now: not interested in the boiling business :s

ReputationRep:
    mine fills with water when I swim, so advice is to EMPTY BEFORE SWIMMING so you will have as litle leakage as possible.

Jenna: the surface of the mooncup is crap for bacteria to grow on. they don't like silicone and there's nothing for them to really grab. Besides, you can sterilise it just before use. I've had a mooncup in for a whole day [Yes, I forgot >.<] before and haven't had a problem. with a tampon, it'd be a different story.

share: you need to empty more often.
    How long do they recommend?

ReputationRep:
    ...but isn't it great that you CAN forget?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.